In Living Color

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pocofan, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

flipping through channels and came across ILC rerun. Oh my God I forgot how good that show was the first several seasons.

Texastoyz, MikaelaArsenault and 905 like this.
  2. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

how many seasons were there?.....I remember 3 or 4..but it might have limped on awhile longer after Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans left....

3. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

hmm - apparently all the Wayans' left after season 4 - though Jim Carrey would still pop up on Season 5 once in awhile.....I don't remember watching much of the last couple seasons - though I do vaguely recall Chris Rock being on....

4. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

so funny.

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Jim Carrey never left, though he probably would have if the show had gotten picked up for a sixth season, because his movie career skyrocketed toward the end of season 5.

Here he is, front and center, in the final season opening credits:

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I miss this show. Watched it every week.

Darryl

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

For awhile in the early 90's everybody thought they were being really clever saying "Homie don't play that!". Man, did that get annoying.

Great show for the first couple seasons as I recall. It was like a younger, edgier Saturday Night Live that had fewer boundaries. The whole show is like one big Time Capsule of early 90's black culture, music, and comedy. Kind of fascinating to look back on it.

Jennier Lopez was a "Fly Girl" (dancer). "Fly Girl" sounds like something from a bad Sci-Fi movie now that nobody uses that slang anymore. :laugh:

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

What an amazing cast. Right up there with the best of SNL IMO.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I loved the Homeboy Shopping Network sketches. heh

11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Hopefully some gangsta wasn't dissing the fly girl...... ;)

MikaelaArsenault and Rocker like this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love the show. It's one of the best.

13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"Mr. Tubbs" also guested:

"The Audition" (preamble to "I Know - NY Reprise Mix") - Dionne Farris,
    from the album, Wild Seed - Wild Flower.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this was one of the best shows on at the time. shame the new version with a new cast was not picked up a few years ago

MikaelaArsenault and Holy Diver like this.
  15. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Unbelievable cast. Damon Wayons should have been a bigger star (I guess he did well with his family sitcom, but I liked him for his edgier material).

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I loved the show, particularly the Damon Wayans, Jamie Foxx and David Alan Greer (“breasteses”) stuff. But I found Jim Carrey more freaky than funny—I didn’t fully get into him until Ace Ventura.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

This was Keenan's baby. After the network forced him out over his edgy skits, things began to fail. But it was great to introduce us to that cast of crazies.
    There were some things on there that would get them in huge trouble these days; even back then, I'd think 'I cannot believe they got away with this.'

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Homie The Clown, anyone?

Matthew Tate and The Panda like this.
  19. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

My favorite character was Oswald Bates, the prison inmate whose vocabulary exceeded his ability to correctly use it.
    Never found Jim Carrey funny on here at all, couldn't believe he ended up being the breakout star. Didn't get the humor Fire Marshall Bill. I think I liked almost all of Damon's characters.
    As a fan of IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, I was surprised to see that Anne Marie Johnson was on the show as well.

jhm likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Imagine my surprise seeing her on Living Color first, then seeing her on Heat. It was very hard to watch!

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It had a really great, catchy theme song and opening credits sequence (doesn't this just scream "early-90's"?).

22. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

In Living Color was certainly a long way from Sparta, Mississippi.

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am a big fan of the show. Very annoyed that the DVDs don't include all of the musical parodies.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

ILC was good all the way through. Even the last season had a lot of really good moments.

25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I was in college when I.L.C. premiered and it was pretty much must-see viewing for everybody on campus. It totally blew SNL away for its first couple of years.

My favorite sketch is still Jim Carrey's dead-on parody of Vanilla Ice ("White white baby")... sooooo brutal. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.