In praise of Uncut's 'Ultimate Music Guide'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the one on Led Zeppelin, which my partner bought for me. It's nicely produced and a good guide to their albums. But I think their price point is too high. At £5 (around normal glossy magazine price) I would be much more tempted to buy others, when you can pick up a more exhaustive and good biography (e.g. Mick Wall's on Zep) for £ 2 or £3. But good luck to Uncut, glad the series is available. Will have to check out eBay prices, as suggested.

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Been holding off on these until I found one that to me was worth the price.
    Just picked up the one on Queen.
    Most of the others I just flip through at the store.

Darryl

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is there a Rolling Stones one?

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

ccbarr and alexpop like this.
  5. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i also hope on a new version of the rolling stones one after the new album gets released... any infos if the new album comes out in 2016 ?

6. alexpop

No disrespect. But with the RS issue I'd be happy .. Stopping at Exile.

7. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

thanks for that so I have an idea of all the ones out there. I definitely want to pick up the U2, Springsteen, Beatles, Fleetwood, Kate, Lennon and McCartney ones for sure

ccbarr and theMess like this.
  8. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I notice that a few artists - Floyd and Zepp for example - have a standard guide and a 'deluxe' guide, does anyone know if the deluxe is essentially the same mag and articles but with extra/new stuff?

I have quite a few of these but also quite a few of the older Q and Mojo special editions from the last ten or fifteen years. I tend not to buy one of the Uncut ones if I already have an existing Mojo/Q one. That said I did buy the Queen one for both.

Been enjoying the Beach Boys one though I think it could have been bigger considering their longevity, and the Byrds one was longer despite having a smaller catalogue than the BBs. Would have liked some more new articles on various aspects of their career, but then I auppose the double page spreads for each album are doing that.

Still, can't complain as I never thought I would see a Beach Boys issue. Would like to see a Black Sabbath and Genesis one but I doubt those would happen. There was a Q Sabbath/Ozzy one back in the day but I would buy another.

ccbarr likes this.
  9. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Others I hope we'll see one day, being its a UK publication, some of these are more likely than would be if it was a US only one

Prince
    Michael Jackson
    Stevie Wonder
    Elton John
    Pet Shop Boys
    Blondie
    Genesis
    Simon and Garfunkel/Paul Simon
    The Police
    New Order
    Bjork
    Electric Light Orchestra
    George Harrison
    Pearl Jam
    Peter Gabriel
    Eurythmics/Annie Lennox

also hopefully we'll get repressings of these (check the Amazon prices and you'll know why, many of these are totally unavailable):
    Depeche Mode
    Beatles
    John Lennon
    Paul McCartney

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    ccbarr, Man at C&A and theMess like this.
  10. alexpop

Mojo's & Uncut.
    Their source comes from nme /melody maker...but not Sounds/Record Mirror/Disc which is another source.Not to mention the other great uk magazine Beat Instrumental.
    Why is that?

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Yes, deluxe usually means updated. I stupidly bought the recent Bruce one then realised I had the first version already.

Also agreed on Beach Boys, waaaaay too thin although I couldn't pass up getting a guide to their albums that I haven't yet bought.

ccbarr likes this.
  12. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I always check when there's a new one out. They're both interesting for people who are already fans, as well as for someone just getting into...whoever it is. So far, I've got...

The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Kinks (favourite issue)
    Led Zeppelin
    Small Faces/Faces
    Neil Young
    Bob Dylan

There's a couple I'd like to see at some point, namely Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley. I initially thought that, as Jimi only released four albums (and a greatest hits) during his lifetime, maybe he wouldn't get one. And then I saw the Sex Pistols issue...and they only did ONE album. Jimi has to be a certainty now, surely. And an Elvis issue would be a must have. For me, anyway.

ccbarr likes this.
  13. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Much better than the crappy Rolling Stone imitations (altho the Beatles LP guide wasn't bad).

Bowieboy likes this.
  14. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Does anybody know how far they plan to take the History Of Rock up to? I know many classic rockers lose interest after a certain point in the 70s or 80s but I really like these books and there's enough good music even in the weakest years that I'd buy them if they went all the way up to the present. They are so classily done

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. jsayers

All I know is I can't wait until they cover 1976 to around 1985 or so. I'll buy every issue - NME, Melody Maker, Sounds, etc. are chock full of reprintable goodness I hope they use!

Bowieboy likes this.
  16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I assume whoever publishes Uncut & Mojo respectively own the rights to reprint nme/mm and so on.

17. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

yep. I like the late 60s/early 70s but I really love the mid/late 70s and 80s. I plan to get every one, even a year I consider weaker like 1999 has some great stuff regardless

jsayers likes this.
  18. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Just picked up the Springsteen, led Zeppelin, U2 and Bowie. I have all the rest

19. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I'm loving the history of rock series. Too bad it takes so long for the newest issue to show up on stands here in the States.
    My only gripe with the series is that I understand they chose 65 as a starting point last year probaby because 50 years makes for a good anniversary and there is probably not enough decent archival articles to sustain an individual issue each for the years '55/'56 -64 but I do hope at some point they release a special edition catch all issue for those years.

Bowieboy likes this.
  20. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I figured they started with 65 because that was the yea reverything was off and running. Dylan and The Beatles were entering their peak, The Stones were breaking big, The Who were starting to happen, etc.... 1963 for example would probably be too Beatles/Dylan heavy

jsayers likes this.
  21. jsayers

Looking at the website, I know I passed on the Sex Pistols, Costello and a few other UG's as I wasn't that impressed enough with them to warrant repeat viewings. Also, Mojo had "Complete Guides" that trumped <imho> the Uncut ones, not surprising as I like that magazine a lot better than Uncut.
    The ones I have are :

Uncut Ultimate Music Guides -
    Bowie <2 copies>
    Smiths
    REM
    Kate Bush
    Pink Floyd

Mojo Special Editions -
    The Who
    Neil Young
    Rolling Stones
    Frank Zappa
    Pink Floyd
    Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    David Bowie

Q Magazine Special Editions -
    REM
    Never Mind The Jubilee - It's The True Story Of Punk <great issue!>

NME Originals/Icons Special Editions -
    Rolling Stones
    Joy Division
    The Who
    The Smiths

I'd like to pick up the Uncut UMG's for the Stones & McCartney, or at least check them out. Maybe a peek to see why I passed on the Costello & Sex Pistols issues as well.

Here's pics of what I have :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Carlox, Christopher B, ccbarr and 2 others like this.
  22. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

How's the REM uncut? I'd like to luck into a copy if it's worth seeking out!

anthontherun likes this.
  23. jsayers

It was really good, that's why I bought it. Being a big REM fan it had a lot of pics I'd never seen, and I've seen a lot. These things were <and still are> coming out pretty often and I looked them over really good before plunking down $12 to $15 for them. I haven't looked at it since I bought it - all those mags I posted in the pics have been in storage - I recently went to my storage unit and dug them out to see what I had and took the pictures. The Q one was really good, too.

24. jsayers

anthontherun likes this.
  25. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident