Incorrect music "facts" you used to believe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeenAround, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Now I'm confused.

2. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Well, Frank Sinatra obviously thought so! He used to introduce "Something" as the best song Lennon and McCartney ever wrote, when actually it was James Taylor......

:winkgrin:

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I bought a self-titled album that was at Goodwill by a guy named "Eivets Rednow" and I told all my friends later what a ripoff of Stevie Wonder this Rednow creep was.

4. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

QUOTE="jimac51, post: 15572878, member: 2614"]I thought that "stereo" was always superior to "mono". I certainly knew about the crock of rechanneled stuff,but one had to go through a lot of malarkey to understand the different terms that meant "crap 'cause unless we can put stereo on the cover,the masses won't buy it" and,remember,for decades phony stereo was the only choice. I never sold off my monos just to replace them with true stereos,but ,once again,if replacing a beat up copy,one had few alternatives. It wasn't until I haunted charity shops with greater frequency,based on bang for my buck,that I got to explore the glories of mono once again.[/QUOTE]

I always thought stereo was better-sounding than mono until I started coming to this forum, I must admit! I remember in the seventies thinking quad was better than stereo as well.
    :hide:

5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I never knew that anyone other than Clarence Clemons did the "Jungleland" saxophone solo. I knew than Sanborn and Brecker played on the Born to Run album, and I knew that Bruce (or Steve Van Zandt) "mapped out" the solo, but I always thought it was Clarence who played it....

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

:laugh:

john lennonist likes this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Clarence did play it. That's a FACT.
    The fact that there were horn players on 10th Avenue Freeze-Out and one on Meeting Across The River has NOTHING to do with Jungleland or the rest of the album.

JoeF. likes this.
  8. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

She didn't? Really? :confused:

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I remember hearing that Alice Cooper played Eddie Haskell on Leave it to Beaver when he was a kid....
    That Jimmy Page and Robert Plant seriously harassed Telly Savalas one on a flight to L.A. by throwing stuff at him and making fun of his bald head....
    That Elton John was seriously considered as lead vocalist of King Crimson.....

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nancy sung it. Their voices are very similar, which is a great advantage in their harmony vocals.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

That's what I always thought...

12. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Just goes ta show, ya never know....
    :doh:

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, IIRC, it was pretty well publicized at the time. It was like "OMG HERE'S THE NEW HEART SINGLE SOUNDS LIKE ANN DON'T IT WELL IT'S NANCY!" :laugh:

And then it was like their biggest single EVER and every dang station played it!

14. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

My excuse is I lived in Japan in those days and Armed Forces Radio didn't give you all that info----and when they played it on Japanese stations I couldn't understand WTF else they were saying about it. By the time I got back to this side of the Pacific it had become classic rock and nobody shared this musical trivia! :shrug:

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Nope. It was her little sister Nancy who sung it instead.

16. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I thought John Lennon said (at the the start of Don't Let Me Down): "..throw me an icepick [.imitates sound of cymbal crash..] to give me the courage to come screaming in". I must have read it somewhere.
    Luckily there are forum-members always ready to point out the mistakes; it should (of course) have been "..throw me a nice big {cymbal-crash-sound} to give me the courage to come screaming in."

Why would Ringo want to throw an icepick anyway?:shh:

17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

To break the ice? The Let it Be sessions notoriously stressful for all involved....

18. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I used to confuse Albert Goldman with Albert Grossman.

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah, Elton John wasn't always "Elton John". He got his first name from Elton Dean who played on some early Crimson stuff.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Fripp considered hiring him as a session vocalist to sing on In the Wake of Poseidon.

drasil and JoeF. like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It was easier to know who sang the song if you saw the video! :)

Purple likes this.
  22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's really not as far fetched as it sounds....Maybe he would have brought "Madman Across the Water" with him to do along with the "water" motif....

23. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I always had a thing for Ann Wilson, and now my illusions have been shattered. Thanks. Thanks a lot!
    :mudscrying:

(Couldn't find a sarcasm emoji, so we'll just go with this one---- :winkgrin:)

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Um... You're welcome? :)

25. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

keyXVII and john lennonist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.