Incredible Jazz Sale At Concord/OJC - Not Necessarily Good News

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by bresna, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I just got confirmation on my second order, placed August 04, meaning they're about four weeks behind on their orders. Like I've said, at $2.98/disc I'm willing to wait out their fulfillment backlog.

Only lost one title (out of 126 on two orders) to out-of-stock situations.

2. bw

bw Forum Resident

Which one was out of stock? I'm still waiting on an order from August 18.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Add George Wallington Quintet: Jazz for the Carriage Trade to the list of out of stock titles. In fact, this title is now ENTIRELY out of stock at any price from Concord.

Kwad

4. Roland Stone

I got my second order delivered. Over two orders I got 125 CDs for less than $400. Can't beat that. Now all I have to do is buy some time to listen to them. It took most of the evening to just unwrap them and replace damaged jewel box pieces.

While they may have been fulfilling orders out of sequence, I'm pretty sure they were reserving stock for previous orders. I received discs on the "out of stock" list, including JAZZ FOR THE CARRIAGE TRADE, BROADWAY and others.

This is such a windfall I'm kind of overwhelmed.

5. greylodge

greylodge Member

More out of stock:
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan (actually listed as cancelled, but added to the end and I got it anyway)

As Ron Stone mentioned, I did receive a couple of items on the previously listed out of stock list: Shelly Manne - My Fair Lady; Miles Davis - Collectors' Items

I didn't have any damaged jewel boxes. Is that happening to others?

6. Roland Stone

Only a half dozen or so on each shipment of 60+ discs. It's to be expected with ground shipping from the West to East coast. I'm not put out by it at all. I keep empties around due to the amount of CDs I buy through the mail.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nope, NONE broken out of many received. But then, they shipped them as follows: CDs were placed in standard (wholesale manufacturer's) CD boxes (the long kind that hold 25-30 CDs), and then THESE were placed in a bigger box, with the necessary padding to keep things from rolling around. The double boxing did the trick.

Kwad

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I had about half a dozen broken jewel cases (usually cracked covers plus broken spindles inside) out of the 80 single discs I bought. The two box sets I bought were both fine.

I don't mind; it's still a fantastic deal even if I have to replace a few cases.

Now I'm back to buying OJC CDs for "outrageous" ;) high prices like the $6.99 I spent yesterday on a used copy of Leroy Vinnegar Quintet's Leroy Walks Again!! OJC CD at Wherehouse Music.... And they put those crummy stickers on the back of every used CD jewel case so I have to replace that case too. :realmad:

Craig(VC).

9. bw

bw Forum Resident

The K2 of CCR's Cosmo's Factory is out of stock.

10. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

I had about 5 damaged cases out of about 50 titles. Not too big of a deal though.

11. Roland Stone

By the way, jazz fans shouldn't neglect the "Blues" and "Vocals" sections of the sale. Lotsa terrific if relatively obscure singers fronting jazz combos in the Vocals section, and some actual jazz titles misfiled in the Blues section, due to having "blues" in the title.

12. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Got my order today. No damaged cases. 3 sold out items:

1. Chet Baker --- Chet
    2. Coltrane--- Lush Life
    3. Elmo Hope -- Hope meets Foster

My order was split about 50/50 k2's and limited edition OJC's with a few R&B discs thrown in for good measure.

13. greylodge

greylodge Member

Some more to add to the out of stock:

Hampton Hawes - Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes/The Trio: Vol. 3 K2
    Walt Dickerson - A Sense Of Direction

14. factor

factor Active Member

==================================================================
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-9433-2 Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean? $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1823-2 Lil Hardin Armstrong - Chicago: The Living Legends $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1896-2 Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio - The Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-9438-2 Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 RITB-9464-2 CANCELED: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Ugetsu $2.98
    Ordered: 2 Shipped: 2 OJCCD-1898-2 Jaki Byard - Freedom Together $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1927-2 Teddy Charles - New Directions $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1825-2 Junie C. Cobb And His New Hometown Band - Chicago: The Living Legends $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7109-2 Miles Davis - Bag's Groove $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7129-2 Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin' With Miles $2.98
    Ordered: 2 Shipped: 2 PRCD-7200-2 Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7166-2 Miles Davis Quintet - Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-8270-2 Eric Dolphy - Far Cry $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 PRCD-8236-2 CANCELED: Eric Dolphy - Outward Bound $2.98
    Ordered: 2 Shipped: 2 PRCD-8225-2 Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PACD-2310-762-2 Duke Ellington - The Ellington Suites $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-1129-2 Bill Evans - Everyone Digs Bill Evans $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 RCD-9351-2 CANCELED: Bill Evans Trio - Explorations $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1884-2 Matthew Gee - Jazz By Gee! $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 FCD-8089-2 Vince Guaraldi - Cast Your Fate to the Wind $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 CCD-3523-2 CANCELED: Hampton Hawes - Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes/The Trio: Vol. 3 $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 CCD-3505-2 Hampton Hawes Trio - Hampton Hawes Trio, Vol. 1 $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1924-2 JFK Quintet - New Jazz Frontiers From Washington $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1918-2 The Jones Boys - The Jones Boys $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 CCD-7527-2 Shelly Manne - My Fair Lady $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1818-2 Ken McIntyre - Stone Blues $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 RCD-1133-2 CANCELED: Thelonious Monk - Misterioso $2.98
    Ordered: 2 Shipped: 2 RCD-1169-2 Wes Montgomery - Incredible Jazz Guitar $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7038-2 Sonny Rollins - Plus 4 $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7029-2 Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1723-2 Various Artists - Giants of Small-Band Swing, Vol. 1 $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1724-2 Various Artists - Giants of Small-band Swing, Vol. 2 $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1757-2 Various Artists - Goin' to Kansas City $2.98
    Ordered: 2 Shipped: 2 OJCCD-1826-2 Albert Wynn & His Gutbucket Seven - Chicago: The Living Legends $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 RCD-241-2 CANCELED: Sonny Rollins - The Sound of Sonny $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 OJCCD-300-2 CANCELED: Kenny Burrell/John Coltrane - Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 PRTB-7044-2 CANCELED: Miles Davis - Collectors' Items $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 PRCD-7086-2 CANCELED: Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano $2.98

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-222-2 Jack McDuff - The Honeydripper $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RCD-242-2 Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music $2.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 JCD-46-2 Thelonious Monk/John Coltrane - Monk & Coltrane $2.98

The order included a bunch for me and 12 for a friend of mine. (His order was one each of all the titles I ordered doubles of, plus the last 7 on the list.)

After the cancellations, he gets 8 and I get 29. Not bad. They should be here on Thursday. Between this order, my eight new Mingus discs (Rhino box, Changes One, Mingus Plays Piano) and the three Blue Note Connoisseur discs I ordered from the BMG class action settlement, I should be set for quite a few weeks.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

For those who didn't notice:

Sale is OVER. Concord is moving their warehouse and is not selling ANY CDs on their website.

Kwad

16. Roland Stone

I wonder if we'll see a second wave of clearance titles once the move is finished? Anyone know?

17. I'm still working my way through the 30 I picked up. And realizing that my mis-filing led to a duplicate [Sonny Rollins Tenor Madness. Now I have the DCC and K2]...ah well.

This sale turned up some wonderful jazz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.