Inexpensive Audio Note UK OTO phono SE integrated amplifier, sounds great right out of box

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I am all for experimenting to find what is best for a particular room and a particular listener. The "approved Audio Note way" and "Warren's way" are just starting points. At some shows, my way gets our demo room sounding great immediately. Other shows require hours of experimentation, just moving everything around until I hear the music jump, with the dynamics and tonal balance I already know the equipment is capable of providing.

I suspect I am listening well and making good decisions because many listeners sit, listen, love what they hear, and congratulate me. Steve has been one of these listeners, and I very much appreciate his approval.

raferx likes this.
  2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Hi Warren can you comment at all on the output transformers used on Audio Note Amps? To be honest I feel that the transformers probably determine most of the sound of a tube amplifier. Probably most would disagree with me but I just think you can't pass a signal through so much iron and not leave some type of impression. It would be very interesting and educational to know what's under the hood so to speak, as output transformer design and implementation is a bit of a magic art no one really talks about much. Thanks.

gregr and jupiterboy like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Your ears I trust!

kfringe likes this.
  4. Warren Jarrett

Norman, thank you for this question. It is incredibly important to the design of tube equipment that transformers in the signal path contribute to the sound rather than detract. I am a listener, not a designer. Although I am an engineer by training and trade, my technical knowledge is not in this field. So, I have asked a couple of people at the Audio Note factory to help me understand and explain. Please allow me a few days to collect their thoughts, and correlate with mine.

In the meantime, I will say that one of my friends, who designs both transistor and valve amplifiers, told me many times that "excellent capacitors in the signal path can sound very good, but excellent transformers in the signal path sound excellent". He attributes the more natural sound of tube amps (compared to transistor amps), NOT to the difference between tubes and transistors, but to the benefit of including "excellent" stage-isolating transformers in the signal path. This includes output transformers. Of course, Audio Note is well known for focusing much attention and cost in their design of transformers, so I look forward to answers from them about your question.

Peter Qvotrup has already told me that he does not agree with my other friend. Peter does attribute great sound to the choice of "valves". Peter chooses capacitors and transformers with the same care. In fact, his team designs and manufactures both, then must charge more for the ones that are more expensive to supply. The output transformers in an amplifier, for Peter, should be as transparent as possible, I believe he would say. But, I will pass on more of Audio Note's comments about this topic.

Warren Jarrett, Music First Audio. http://musicfirstaudio.com/california/

5. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

This is great, thanks so much for looking into this Warren, I too am very interested in hearing the thoughts and answers from AN UK.
    Cheers!

6. Steve Hoffman

Be sure and start a new thread with your next response on the subject. The info will get lost on this thread!

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would also dearly love to hear Warren’s thoughts on point-to-point and circuit boards. Great responses! Thanks again!

beowulf likes this.
  8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Question for our intrepid host: has this system changed your view of 'my system is too accurate, I can't stand listening to it sometimes' (which is the subject of another thread)?

9. Warren Jarrett

This is another very interesting topic, about which many of my circuit-designer friends have very specific opinions. Again, I will consult them before answering in detail.

For now, I will just say that there are trade-offs between the two approaches, not a clear winner. In some applications, the shorter signal path length of a PCB trace benefit performance compared to point-to-point wire. Shielding of wire is beneficial in some situations, not practical with a PCB trace. Quality of wire makes a definite difference, even though many designers don't concern themselves with it (Audio Note certainly does). PCB material and trace quality are also important, particularly if you ask Ken Stevens of C.A.T. My favorite audio components of all time seem to have included both, PCBs where practical AND P-to-P wire where beneficial.

Warren Jarrett/Music First Audio

10. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Found these shots of what I believe are Peter's listening room at the AN UK factory:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

norman_frappe likes this.
  11. Warren Jarrett

Yes, I recognize it from my recent visit with Peter Qvotrup. That is indeed one of his listening rooms, the one at his Brighton office. As you can see, these two pictures are from different times: same records, different speakers and equipment, and even different speaker stands and speaker wires.

Warren Jarrett/Music First Audio.

12. norman_frappe

Hi Warren, thanks so much that's really fantastic and please take your time certainly no rush, and please thank the people at AN for their time. I am sure everyone will find this highly educational and we will learn a lot. I know I will. Although I have studied and dissected SS amps I have to admit my knowledge of valve amps is severely lacking but the output transformers of a valve amp in particular is kind of a great unknown to me so I certainly look forward to being schooled.

I guess on the surface of it what your friend says seems to make a lot of intuitive sense to me, but I will keep an open mind. Once again thanks for your response and continued participation here, Best Norman.

raferx likes this.
  13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Yes, indeed, as one would expect if he's voicing components, or listening to changes. The other difference in the two photos are what looks like a few choice whiskey bottles on the lower left of the second image?

14. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The EL84 (6BQ5) is a wonderful sounding tube in any amp, sweet, warm, and detailed.

15. Steve Hoffman

What a record collection that guy has. I remember him telling me he has entire first pressing runs of all the major labels, classical. I mean, imagine, every EMI in pristine shape?

The man loves records.

Robin L, norman_frappe and raferx like this.
  16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I would love to sit down with Peter in that room, have a wee dram and kick back, discuss music, audio hardware, the recording industry and just chill as he queues up some amazing LPs!

17. Steve Hoffman

He's invited me over all expenses paid but I can't get away, too much going on here. I'd sure love to, would be very relaxing.

raferx likes this.
  18. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

No problem Steve, I think I can get away for a week, so just let Peter know I'll be your proxy!

19. norman_frappe

the other thing that I was thinking is people always told me that in order to to get imaging depth you need space between and behind the speakers but maybe with these AN designs you don't? Very interesting. Certainly would work better in many cramped rooms I have seen.

20. Steve Hoffman

AN speakers need to be in corners, like a K-horn or something.

21. norman_frappe

Does it still create the same type of illusion in regards to sound stage depth or is it different from other speakers? I heard the Khorn's once but now can't remember the imaging at all but I did remember liking the fullness and richness of the sound. Sorry for all the questions, I am just very intrigued by this speaker design. Wouldn't work in my current room unless I got those panels you have but it would have been just the ticket for many rooms I've had in the past.

22. Steve Hoffman

Yes, soundstage is amazing. Nothing to do with K-horns, though, I just used that as an example.

23. moops

moops Senior Member

Neat little vid discussing AN speakers ......

raferx likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

I did a quick top open of the OTO (sorry, didn't take any pics). Interesting combo of Russian and USA NOS tubes in there. The output tubes were 6BQ5 Sovetk (as expected), the inputs were USA Phillips and a few Sovteks.

I quickly subbed all Telefunken input tubes and my old GE matched quartet of EL-84's from 1965.

The sound was nice, more holographic, different than the original presentation, not better, just different. A tad more laid back as to be expected when the Sovteks are removed.

All in all, a fun amp to mess around with tubes with.

Now, back in the box, over and out. Back to Warren at Music First Audio. Thanks for the chance to play!

raferx likes this.
  25. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

That's it? Oh man. I thought you had it for a few weeks... too bad. I was looking forward to more impressions at it broke in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.