Inexpensive but audiophile grade used CD players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Da He Hua, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Try cleaning the lens.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Do you have a model number, my thrift had what it looked like to be an early 90's model for 10 bucks, also a really nice looking single disc JVC recorder

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That early 90's model won't have a TDA 1541 nor the good Philips swing arm CDM laser mechanism

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

Thanks Mc. So look for the swing arm blurb on the face?
    I'll have to go back and check the model number.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Won't say it has it or not. But by the 1990's they were gone. Older the Magnavox or Philips player is the better they are.

nosliw, PhilBiker and c-eling like this.
  6. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Nope audio processor chips have come a very long way since the 80s.

7. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Get a cheap CD player with coax output and a Schiit Modi2 Multibit DAC. Audiophile sound for budget price.

8. c-eling

Great advice, but the OP listens to a bunch of classical, as I stated up-thread some may contain pre-emphasis in which that set-up would not work in itself
    I have my Onkyo optical out into a DAC, but for pre-emphasis analog out into it.

POE_UK likes this.
  9. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Good solution. I ran both analog and digital outputs from my Onkyo 7030 for a while but didn’t find any pre-emphasis discs in my collection of mostly jazz and rock music. Don’t have much classical.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

A big PIA they can be :laugh:

basie-fan likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And there are NO NEW CD transports built today which can match a CDM-0 or a CDM-1. None! Those lasted longer than anything made ever since. The CD-Pro was the last of the good mechanisms. Everything else is less well made. And I am sorry, no DVD or Blu-Ray S--L--O--W loading flimsy toy mechanisms for me.

bruce2 likes this.
  12. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

A very good CD player that is not at all fussy about different discs. It also has the added bonus of a USB input for iPod or flash drive.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Magnavox CDB 460, 465, 470, 471, 472, 473, 560, 582, 630 & 650. The 582 & 630 has the more modern CD/19 transport.

steeler1979, PhilBiker and c-eling like this.
  14. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I've been considering a new CD player as well to replace my Sony CD Recorder from around 2004 (I also have a 90s NAD which I recall had some issues). But I'm wondering if I should simply use my older (2011) Macbook with an external hard drive for digital files and CDs, and instead buy a good, recent DAC. Anyone opted for this or compared?

I have a lot of CDs, but these days I mainly listen to digital files made from them or LPs.

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Only CD players with CDM-0 or 1 transport & having the superior TDA1541 processor are Micro CD-42, M100 & M200x. Marantz CD--95, 99SE, 99SE Limited, 880 & MCD 7007. The M2000X went for $2200 & CD-95 for $640. Only these two showed up for sale on ebay in last 6 months.

nosliw likes this.
  16. c-eling

Thanks, appreciated. I'll check the numbers when I pop back in :cheers:

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

All the CDM based players tend to be good sounding. Even the cheaper Magnavox models of the era, and in nice order, they're musical.

c-eling likes this.
  18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Gotta disagree that it's a bad idea to buy a used CD player. I think generally speaking used audio components are about 40-50% off retail. With CD players it's probably higher than that.

Got my player used - no issues.

Yes, CD players are mechanical devices. They tend to have higher failure rates and there is no warranty.

You're always taking a risk when you buy something used, be it a CD player or something else. Heck, even when buying new people run into issues. And there is no guarantee that the dealer or manufacturer will make the process easy if you want to do an exchange/repair.

A buyer needs to do their homework. If you buy a player that looks like it's been taken care of, one that is not very old, from a seller with great feedback, and if the player can still be serviced, all of this dramatically reduces the amount of risk. More risk is eliminated if you can demo the player.

If I had a $100 budget like the OP, I'd probably look to the used market and hope to score a player that retailed for $200-300 when new. Or I'd save up a little bit and spend $200-400 and get something that is significantly better built.

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Just got a 1986 Sony CDP-110, has Burr Brown DAC. Really nice warm and detailed sound.

PhilBiker and c-eling like this.
  20. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have a 90's era Rotel RCD-971, heavily modded. I just got a used Schiit Gungnir DAC (not a Gumby) running digital out to the Gungnir from the Rotel, and it crushes the Rotel. I didn't believe what the fuss was about until I heard it for myself. Kinda makes me want to send the Gungnir out for the Gumby mod. Oh no...my wallet!!!

PhilBiker, gd0 and basie-fan like this.
  21. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I bought a used Denon 5910 2 years ago ($140). Built like the proverbial tank but it's a bit quirky. The door will open when it's good and ready. Not when you're ready. But it will open, just might take a minute. On the plus side, it's reading cds, SACDs, and DVD-As just fine.

PhilBiker and caupina like this.
  22. edmondbob

edmondbob Forum Resident

I have a 7030 a few years old and like it a lot. However it is starting to be a bit picky about what discs it want to play.

23. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

I wish someone would make a cd player hifi separate that uses a computer sata or ide atapi cd rom drive, because i have a couple of creative 4x and 16x cd rom players from 2001 that are awesome, you know a separate that you could change the cd rom/burner i think that would be a great idea, im already toying with the idea of getting a Pioneer NP-01
    hard drive recorder.

24. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

That’s a great idea! I’ve never had the electronics go bad on a CD player, always the laser /drive

POE_UK likes this.
  25. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

Research the Samsung DVD-HD841XAA CD-DVD-SACD. It is an older, discontinued model but very, very good and can be got for well under $50. Considering what it can do and its sound quality, it is a ridiculously good buy.

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.