Inexpensive CD Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tristero, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense Thread Starter

So my old Arcam player seems to be crapping out on me and my funds are very limited these days. Fortunately I have my trusty Oppo BR player to fall back on, which I also use for SACD's and other specially formatted discs. Can somebody recommend a solid, inexpensive CD player for me?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Your probably going to have to define "inexpensive."

3. Tristero

I'd like to pay under $200 if I can get away with it.

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

ddarch, AmericanHIFI, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm probably on a lower budget than you. I don't see an equipment profile. Knowing what you've got would help. If I had an OPPO player I'd probably use it as my CD player. If I had one of the less expensive OPPOs, I'd be looking at outboard d/a's to upgrade the sound quality. If I had a more expensive OPPO I'd stand pat 'til my ship comes in. From what I've read, the Onkyo 7030, $170 at Amazon right now, punches above it weight, and it ain't a lightweight player either.

Just so you know how cheap I am, a recent upgrade consisted of some thrift shop finds, a 2008 Samsung Blu-Ray player I connected to the Toslink input of a 2008 Yamaha 5.1 AVR. Total cost—$75 including the Toslink cable. What I was using before had a 2004 Sony DVD/SACD/CD player into a 1976 Kenwood KR 9600 receiver. I don't know if the Kenwood was drifting out of alignment, but the difference in sound quality was stark. As an amplifier, the Yamaha was noticeably better. The Samsung Blu-Ray player via the Yamaha's d/a has obviously better resolution playing back CDs than the Sony player, either via its analog outs or the Toslink outs.

My best friend has a Paradigm/Arcam system. That system goes back to 2004. I'm hearing better resolution on the Samsung/Yamaha combo. I didn't with the Sony.

Why all the dates? As far as I can tell, there has been a clear improvement in CD playback over time. More recent digital playback gear has wider bandwidth, lower noise floors and better resolution than older players. It's possible to find a cheaper CD player that sounds better than your Arcam, depending in large part on how old your CD player is. If you have one of the recent lower cost OPPOs, I suspect your best avenue for a sonic upgrade would be in an outboard d/a of some sort.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    CrazyCatz, TGH7, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

There are some threads here about the Onkyo C-7030. Check those out. Most folks who have one view it favorably, but there are a few who've had issues with theirs.

I picked one up via Amazon for around $130, and think it sounds really good. I've had it for more than a year, and have had no issues. I believe the price is up around $170 now, though.

One bonus, in my opinion, is the 7030's headphone jack. It sounds darned good, and could be a bonus if you ever want to use headphones without an amp.

7. Tristero

I do have one of the cheapest Oppo's, BDP80. Forgive my ignorance, but what is an outboard d/a? My old Arcam player is from 2000, I believe, so hopefully I can reap the benefits of more recent improvements in technology.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Get the Onkyo 7030.

A d/a converter is a Digital to Analog converter. Stand-alone CD players have them built-in. Blu Ray players often don't have built-in d/a converters though all the OPPO players do. Modern multi-channel receivers do have built-in d/a converters. Those converters are built to a spec of 24/192, at the minimum. A 2000 Arcam wouldn't have that sort of bandwidth or noise floor. However, the Onkyo CD player does. Because you have one of the older OPPO players, I suspect the Onkyo CD player would have better specs as a CD transport and would probably sound better than adding an outboard d/a converter to the OPPO.

An example of the stand alone d/a converter [or DAC] would be the Schitt Modi, a modern low-cost DAC, goes for $90. Prices for the DACs go all the way up and all the way down and the differences in sound quality and overall presentation can be quite different from one brand to another, and within each company as well.

9. cjc

cjc Senior Member

The Teac CD-P650 is in range. Great sound and build quality with a very good built in DAC.

bhazen and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Using the Analog out's between both units, the Onkyo does outperform the Oppo 80, in my opinion of course, I preferred the Wolfson DAC, but I use the Digital out's as I prefer my DC-1 DAC, I took the Onkyo out of the mix so I could have SACD/DVD-A capabilities from my 80 (analog) cd-Optical

Robin L likes this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

A quick Amazon search will reveal several good CD decks for way less than silly money - the aforementioned Onkyo, a couple by Teac and TASCAM, and at least one by Yamaha. All quite decent.

We live in a wonderful time! You can buy the Onkyo 7030, the matching Onkyo amp or receiver, and a pair of Wharfedale Dentons for well under a grand ... and just enjoy music.

ddarch, basie-fan, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  12. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Unless you can find a used Musical Fidelity CDP for <$200 floating around I'd stick with the oppo probably...

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

I think you are already set. I have a BDP 80 and it is fine as a CD player. You may be disappointed if you replace it with an inexpensive player unless you have home audition and return privileges.

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd get the Onkyo. It is the cheapest good player. Or get a bottom end Marantz or Denon single play.

ddarch likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Onkyo for me too if I were shopping at that price range. And maybe even if I wasn't!

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Forget a separate CD player. You won't find one for $200 that will top that Oppo.

Spin the Oppo for a while, and prove us wrong.

If still not satisfied, get a new budget DAC (iFi, Schiit etc) rather than an entire CD player.

Unless you're building a serious upscale 2-channel rig, a standalone CD player is not a good value.

17. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

At that price point there's a lot of me that runs with using a dvd or blu ray player effectively as a transport with a separate digital to analogue converter as a good many separate players today just use an inexpensive transport and it also gives you a route at a later point into playing lossless/HD files from a computer or dap in very fine fidelity.

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Keep using the Oppo for everything, and save on the side to eventually get a really good CD player. Something that costs more than $200. I'm sure the Oppo will do you fine for the time being.

bruce2 and bhazen like this.
  19. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I consider the Marantz 5000 CD player a quality unit for the money..I like its' sonic fingerprint.... a fairly warm sound for CD's, and nice staging of the instruments and it will do me just fine till the next affordable big rave comes along....

20. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

If you're a gambler, try cruising pawn shops.

rodentdog likes this.
  21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Or Goodwill

22. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I'm looking for an inexpensive sacd player too. I have a Demon that sounds pretty decent, but it acts up at times and has no remote...bought it at Goodwill so I can't complain.

From what I'm reading OPPO and Marantz are brands worth looking at. I have a older Marantz standard player that always sounded nice to me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I own three of these Pioneer DV-79 avi players...CD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD Video, great build, solid player for all formats. There's one on Ebay right now that's a steal at $179.95 including a remote (a must!), don't hesitate, BUY IT!
    Pioneer Elite DV-79 AVi, DVD Audio/Video/SACD/CD Player with Remote

If you want to spend less than the DV-59 avi is a great choice and is under $100 used on Ebay. The DV 79-avi is more refined for music, with tuning by Air Studios in the UK.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Wild Zero

Wild Zero Well-Known Member

Save your money and use your Oppo. $$ saved to buy more CD's.

tmtomh and scobb like this.
  25. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I picked up a nice Sony DVP-S7700 for around $70. $1400 new. Copper chassis. Built like a tank.

tmtomh and shirleyujest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.