Info on missing lyrics from MFSL version of Rush - Signals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know if this has been seen before, but here is some more info on the missing lyrics on The Weapon from the MFSL version of Rush - Signals.

If you are a fellow Rush hound, you may want to go ahead and pick up Mercury's remaster, as there is a lyric 'missing' in the bridge after the second chorus in "The Weapon." (Then) Mobile Fidelity engineer Krieg Wunderlich and (then) director of product development Joe Bermudez explained in response to a letter I sent about this issue that Ged singing "And the things that he fears/Are a weapon to be held against him..." in the bridge was not on the original multitrack master, but rather was added to the 2-track mixdown tape in post production. Since MoFi is all about the original master, that lyric does not appear on the Signals Ultradisc.

It is from this site. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/101705/are-these-good-mfsl-s

2. user19351

user19351 Active Member

I'm still confused. MFSL wouldn't have used the multi-tracks, and the vocal is on the 2 track mixdown master. Therefore, unless I'm missing something, the only way that MFSL could have used the 2 track master without the vocal would be if they had mastered their version prior to "post production", which we all know is not the case.

The vocal must have been added to a dub of the 2 channel master, because if it was on the actual master, then it would be on the MFSL.

Please let me know if there is something I'm missing.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't get what happened, either. I guess in the end, it sounds like Rush wanted it to, or they would not have added something extra, or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.