Integrated Amplifier: Outlaw RR2160 or Marantz PM8006 or PM-14S1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Prism, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape! Thread Starter

I just added KEF LS50 speakers to my system and I am very impressed with their sound. I don't know the proper terminology to describe them but they have an almost three dimensional feel. My current integrated amplifier, the Marantz PM6005, drives them well, however, I suspect I may get even more out of the KEFs with an amplifier with a little more oomph. The Marantz PM8006 would seem like a logic upgrade as I like the Marantz sound, I am looking to stick with solid state and I like having tone controls if necessary. I also like my upgrades to be significant and my worry with the Marantz PM8006 is that I won't notice that much of a difference from the PM6005. I saw the Outlaw RR2160 received a class B rating from Stereophile, received a great review from the Audiophiliac, plus there are many happy owners of the Outlaw on this forum. It also has loads of power and both reviews mentioned the Outlaw plays nice with the KEF LS50 speakers. I am also considering the Marantz PM-14S1 reference integrated amplifier. Its three times the price of the Outlaw and PM8006, but it may also be the last amplifier I would need for the next 20 years. I don't mind paying the money if it's worth it but I also like to get value for my money. Would you choose the Marantz PM8006, the Outlaw RR2160, the Marantz's PM-14S1 or stick with the Marantz PM6005 if you were in this situation?

Echoes Myron and CrazyCatz like this.
  2. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

If you can afford the PM-14S1, by all means... It won't become a limitation when you upgrade the speakers.
    I have had a 5004 and upgraded to the 8004 after 3 weeks. It has the power and dynamic that was missing with the 5004, but essentially same house sound.
    The 8004 has been on 24/7 for 7 years and it's running like out of the box.... a testament to the quality of Japanese hi-fi.
    And I also have a 22-years old Yamaha receiver that's running like new.

Prism and CrazyCatz like this.
  3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The PM-14S1 is an significant upgrade over the others mentioned.

Prism likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

LS50s are one of those speakers that continue to reward front end upgrades. I haven't driven them with more than 100 watts RMS but many claim they only improve as more power is applied. My gut is to say the PM-14S1, but that Outlaw measured surprisingly well according to Stereophile and produces more power on paper. The PM sure wins the beauty contest IMO.

What I like about both brands is they omit the earth ground prong from the power jack. This usually results in a very low noise floor.

Manimal and Prism like this.
  5. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

The new Parasound Halo Hint 6 (HERE) sells for the same price as the PM. "Power Output - Both channels driven (0.05% THD, RMS, 20Hz - 20kHz): 160 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms; 240 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms." 5 year warranty. I don't have one, but it gets a lot of good press on this forum. Good luck!

Prism likes this.
  6. Prism

Thanks for the responses. I Suspected the PM-14S1 would be the favored choice. Regarding the Parasound, I was hoping to see the original Halo integrateds being sold at liquidation prices, but there was no inventory left to liquidate.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

If I recall correctly, I sold my original H-int for about $1750 including shipping. I'd get the Marantz or a Yamaha.

Prism likes this.
  8. In the last few years I've had to make some personal sacrifices for reasons I won't go into, but it was the right thing to do and I feel good about. I gave up my beloved Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl in the process, and while I think I made the right decision, I am also sad that I no longer own this special piece. While the Marantz PM-14S1 wasn't a personal project for Marantz legendary designer Ken Ishiwata, it is built to the same exacting standards and is an exemplary performer. While for the price the PM-8005/6 is an excellent unit, it does not compare to it and certainly IMO cannot compete with the Reference units.

ChrisR2060 and Prism like this.
  9. Prism

Damn. I think I have to get that 40lb beast.

F1nut and ChrisR2060 like this.
  10. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

...and tell us about it.

11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea I would go with the HINT in a Hintbeat. Sorry

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Or get an untamed monster from 1976 (GODZILLA)
    Pioneer SX 1250. Coke can caps:)

SirMarc likes this.
  13. Prism

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions. I was able to get a very good deal on a Marantz PM-14S1 due (in part) to the newly released Marantz PM-KI Ruby Reference integrated amplifier.

14. Jackflash27

Jackflash27 Forum Resident

I’m considering the pm-14s1 and pm-8006 too. Soundwise and powerwise, the 14s1 is the one to go for as I believe is the general consensus. But for me the quality of the phono stage is also important. Hoe doe these two compare on that part?

15. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

The thread starter having abandoned the thread since 1,5 years, for others: “Outlaw RR2160”.

16. Jackflash27

ok, I'll start a new thread.

17. Prism

I find the quality of the phono stage in the pm-14s1 to be quiet good, but it is a little too laid back sounding on my system. I prefer using the Rega Fono MK III which I also have.

Jackflash27 likes this.
  18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Holy cow, that thing has pre-out/main-ins! SO rare these days.

Jackflash27 likes this.
  19. Jackflash27

Sorry, but I assume you're being cynical? I'm not an expert, so can't tell if most amps have these or not.

20. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

He's serious, they're actually getting pretty rare. Even finding a variable pre-out is not all that common any more (as opposed to tape-outs, which lots of people use I guess?). And finding all of that plus proper analog bass-management for sub, as with the RR2160, is even more unique.

With the PM-14S1, though, they don't work as a traditional (jumpered) pre-out/main in. The "Power Amp Direct In" has to be chosen as a source. You can't pass a signal from the Pre out through a crossover, for example, to the Direct In.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Jackflash27 likes this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

So it's just for like "home theater bypass"?

Jackflash27 likes this.
  22. Jackflash27

and does it works the same on the Pm-8006? What I mean is, does the power amp direct has to be chosen as a source there also?

23. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I guess it'd work for that, sure, functions only as a power amp in that mode.

According the the manual, yes, that input is only active when POWER AMP DIRECT mode is chosen.

Seems so much simpler and potentially more useful to have included jumpers and not make the functions mutually exclusive, but I'm not a multi-billion-dollar conglomerate. Yet.

24. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

Did you end up going with the Outlaw? I am testing out a Marantz PM7000N and I'm digging it but considering going with the Outlaw and just getting streamer separately. Crazy the 2160 has increased in price since 2018!

25. Prism

No, I went with the Marantz 14s1

Fish17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.