Interconnect Cables- Eating my Words

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

As a figure of speech, I think it describes my experience nicely. I auditioned 5 brands of cables in my home and was astounded to find what I found. Comparing the cables I had with the ones I replaced them with was not 'night and day' but like 'night and day'. And the new cables were much, much more expensive to what I had, so I would hope so. :)

Dave likes this.
  2. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

where can you buy terminated speaker and ICs from Van Damme? I've looked before but seems very tough to find.

3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

To me, "better" is, well, BETTER, however it is achieved. Also, it is not necessarily the case that Avanti has a harsh sounding CD player and that the old cables accurately transferred those qualities and the new cables acted as a "less accurate" filter attenuating those qualities. It might be the case that the old cables are the ones doing the attenuation or alteration of the signal--e.g., rolling off some bass so that the frequency balance is brighter, or altering the phase relationship of different parts of the frequency spectrum.

Dave and F1nut like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i dont hear it as a frequency response modification though, i hear it as less distortion and a clearer stronger more dynamic signal

Dave and Preston like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wouldn't. On principle. Any company that lets out a "fact" they voiced their equipment to needed their thousand dollar cables is suspect, IMO.

6. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

If you hear "less distortion" with a different cable, the first one was broken...

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

EMI/RFI shielding? You have to go to Hati and get hooked up with a vodun priest to get it because it’s not based on science.

Huck Caton likes this.
  8. avanti1960

ok its subtle and certain recordings exacerbated the issue but it was there and is no longer.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Those are my words (and assumptions), not theirs.

10. new world man

new world man Member

Here you go. Two dealers on the east coast of the USA. From the Van Damme site here: http://www.van-damme.com/distribution.html

11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Resistors and caps are passive too.

Huck Caton and F1nut like this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm a nut too. I love my Morrow interconnects and speaker cables.

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

One could say the same about amps, speakers, etc., but of course that wouldn't be true either.

Every piece of gear in your rig is a tone control, including the cables.

14. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

FWIW, I was hoping this thread was more of a "skeptics recant" confessional than the usual banal cable debate.

While I haven't yet heard a difference that sells me on the really high end cables, I have heard a difference. After two months of more or less daily listening, I put the monoprice interconnects back on. It sounded worse. Can I be completely certain it wasn't expectation bias? No. But I think the $100 I spent on the PBJs was worth it.

avanti1960 and Rolltide like this.
  15. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

With all due respect. Have you heard a shindo system with and without shindo cables? I have. The shindo cable make everything sound just right. As do Auditorium a23 cables. Both types of cables were made to work best with shindo gear.

Ken shindo build everything from the stylus to the speakers with the intent of being synergistic. His hand made products were all crafted to work together. The includes cables. It even included the supplied Power cable (that looks like a lamp cord). When you swap in a new power cord the system often does not sound right.

Shindo offers one type of IC cable. Not an entry level version and then higher ones. Just one type of IC. If they made multiple versions I would find that suspect. But they don't. They build what works best and that is all.

There is nothing suspect to building a system that is voiced to work well all together. His IC cables are pure silver which is part of the reason for the cost.

When you have the opportunity to try a shindo system with different cables get back to me about your suspicions.

16. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

I will also mention that in my opinion there are probably many systems out there that do not benifit from cable upgrades. I suspect there are also many systems in which you cannot hear differences.

In my system there is a very large difference.

IanL, Long Live Analog, Dave and 2 others like this.
  17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

At one point in my interconnect experiments, I tried the $5.99 "patch cords" since that's all they had when my vintage system was manufactured. That was the worst sound that my system ever reproduced.

So let me think this through (as my wife is talking in my other ear :D ). The $5.99 patch cords accurately transferred the harshness of my (approx.) $3,000.00 Sony SCD XA777ES to my McIntosh MX110 tube preamp, McIntosh tube amplifier and Tannoy speakers. The more expensive Grover interconnects and, indeed, the Van Den Hul and Cardas I also tried attenuated, reduced and rolled off the harshness that the $5.99 patch cords "revealed". :wtf:

Substitute "patch cords" with "Monster", "DH Labs", Blue Jeans Cable and others that I can't think of right now which were part of my experiments and the results would be the same, right?

And the $5.99 patch cords would beat them all for accuracy and be revealing of what my CD player's "faults" are? :laugh:

No, definitely not. Sorry, this is seriously incorrect.

18. avanti1960

As an update, my experiment the other evening was not an hallucination, mirage or mind over matter perception (all of which sometimes happens :) The CD player and tuner still sound better with the upgraded interconnect cable and I did not believe it possible before the experiment. Recant confirmed.

Dave, Lonson and ThorensSme like this.
  19. padreken

padreken Senior Member

The best demo I've heard to date was at the 2014 RMAF in the Nordost room-the system was a highly revealing one (Magico speakers, Rowland electronics) and they began with using cheap Radio Shack interconnects as a baseline. Using 3 different tacks, they moved up the Nordost line. The biggest leap, of course, was from the el cheapo to the Nordost entry level, but the improvement was clearly audible (albeit more subtle) as you moved up the line.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Back in the 90s, I went through a LOT of interconnects! Now, I didn't have too much money to play around with, but, believe it or not, the Audioquest Topaz I tried were among the worst! They made the music sound very compressed. I was also unimpressed with the Monster cables I bought. In fact, they rolled off the highs. The best I have are Terminator 2, and the ones I still use today. Straightwire red and PBJs are also in use. I also used Esoteric Audio cables that were pretty nice.

I still intend to try some Grovers if he's still making them.

21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Man, am I glad I don't have golden ears or equipment where anything other than basic, well-made interconnects and wire would make a hill of beans of difference. I like spending the time I waste on cable auditions simply listening to the music.

Huck Caton likes this.
  22. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

For someone who thinks anything more expensive than lower end consumer electronics are a waste, reproduction of lowest bass frequencies an undesirable "trait" and any cable/wire discussion a total sham/snake oil, you sure do spend a lot of time in the hardware section.

23. JonP

JonP Active Member

My own experience with interconnects has been quite interesting. I've found the effects of different interconnects to be similar to the effects achieved using different power filtration products, different DACS with their inherently different jitter noise floors and even the variances in noise floors caused by using different dithering and noise shaping algorithms when creating my 16 bit masters. In all of these cases, the sound changes one way or another and despite the measured effects usually being extremely subtle and at incredibly low levels - far beyond my or anyone else's ability to hear them on their own - they all markedly effect the musical content that I do hear.

As examples, a couple of years ago I upgraded my interconnects in my loungeroom system from the relatively cheap Audioquest Sydney to the much more expensive Yosemite model. The sonic effect was almost identical to the effect I heard when using a decent power filtration board such as a PS Audio Dectet (versus nothing). Or conversely, going from an expensive interconnect to a cheap one was like going from a 24 bit master to a 16 bit file using a not-so-great noise shaping algorithm.

One thing I always like to do when trying a new interconnect is to patch it into my audio workstation between the analogue out and in of both the soundcards and then make a recording using it. I then double blind test the recording versus that of another interconnect to make sure I am not imagining the difference, then I go from there with further listening tests. Perhaps the biggest difference I have ever heard between two decent quality interconnects is the aforementioned Yosemite versus the Wireworld Eclipse 6 that I normally use as an analogue input into my workstation. If anyone is still dubious as to whether cables sound different, these two are the best place to start because they do sound so different to each other.

One thing I can say without any exception is that the more expensive interconnects - regardless of brand or design - reduced harshness - always. One thing I have never had the money to try though is a pure silver based interconnect. One day I'd like to try something like a Wireworld Gold Eclipse.

24. JonP

JonP Active Member

In fairness though, it's not like they are accusing everyone else of imagining things. There are unfortunately a few people here and there in the audio industry who cannot hear differences between any metal conductors of an audio signal yet for whatever reason have decided that their own listening skills and experience serve as a paradigm and thus an aspirational benchmark for the entire human race.

BrokenByAudio, IanL, Dave and 2 others like this.
  25. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Maybe just a bad/dirty surface to surface contact. Regardless, with a resolving enough system, cables do make a difference, if you're brain/auditory system is discriminating enough.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.