Interesting - Wayne Perkins' Rolling Stones audition story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uly Gynns

Uly Gynns Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just a cool excerpt from an interview with Wayne Perkins - who was strongly considered by the Stones to replace Mick Taylor and plays on most of their 1976 "Black and Blue" album:

"I stayed in Kingston with [Eric] Clapton for a month or two," Perkins says. "One morning at the breakfast table Eric said, 'Did you hear that Mick Taylor quit the Stones?' And I said, 'Naww, have they found anybody to take his place?' Eric said he didn't think they had, so I said, 'Well, hell, put in a phone call for me.' So Clapton called Jagger and told him, 'Yeah, this boy Perkins can play some guitar.' So Eric—and Leon Russell—were my references to get to the Stones." Months earlier, Perkins had played bass on Stones bassist Bill Wyman's solo debut, Monkey Grip.

Keith Richards, a reggae fanatic, was familiar with Perkins' work on Catch a Fire. "Far as I know, I was the last one to audition for the Stones job. They had rented a theater in Rotterdam. I basically got off the plane and walked into the audition room," recalls Perkins. "Keith was sitting on a couch with Bill Wyman. And there was a spotlight in the middle of the room. I set my guitars down and was just standing there, and they're all looking up at me. I had never met them before. I was standing there in that spotlight. It was kind of understood that that's where I was supposed to stand because nobody offered a chair. I was talking to Keith when suddenly Jagger and Charlie Watts came up behind me, and they both stood right next to me, really close. Mick and Charlie were looking straight ahead, they wouldn't even look at me. I looked to each side and both of them are staring straight ahead like they're posing for an album cover. Then they walked off without saying a word. They put me in the center of this portrait thing that they were doing, like a lineup. They wanted to see if I looked like a Rolling Stone, and I hadn't even played a note for 'em yet."

Perkins' audition impressed the Stones enough that he was invited to play on the sessions that would become the Black and Blue album. "We started out cold on 'Hand of Fate' one night. We were just kind of starting from scratch with something that Keith had a musical idea about," Perkins says. "He had the basic track down, but he didn't have a bridge, or what they call 'a middle-eight.' I was playing a counter-guitar part to Keith, and I started doing this Motown lick that goes along to what he's playing. And so we're cooking along there, and Mick's walking around the room with a tambourine, and he'd go stand in the corner and shake that damn tambourine. And he's singing to himself, and he's off in his own world trying to figure out what's what. The whole thing sounded real rough, too. It kinda just sucked. [Perkins is not the first musician to comment on the Stones' lack of musical finesse.] It was like the worst garage band I'd ever heard in my life. Then the engineer turned on the red light [to begin recording] and it's like somebody reached out with a magic wand and went, 'Bing!' And all of a sudden, it's the Stones! Damnedest thing I've ever seen."

Perkins lived with Richards and his longtime girlfriend Anita Pallenberg for a month or so in a cottage behind the London home of Ron Wood (who was still a member of The Faces at the time). Richards treated Perkins as the new band member. "We started hangin' out and having a big ol' time. We got along great," says Perkins. "But when Mick came into the picture . . . If I was with Mick, it was all right. If I was with Keith, it was all right. But when the two of them got together, I seemed to automatically fall under a microscope without even trying. Keith and Mick were still going at it over me, because I was under the impression from Keith that I was already in the band. Keith was teaching me their songs and gave me two cassettes of about 60 songs that included what the Stones might play on their 1975 tour. While we were in Germany, they had these two rooms and on the walls were [designs] of different stage setups and they were asking me my opinion of which stage I liked. We cut 'Memory Motel' from scratch like we did 'Hand of Fate.' Keith was on Fender Rhodes, Mick was on grand piano, and I was in some soundbooth with an acoustic guitar and I overdubbed electric guitar later. And then I overdubbed some slide on 'Fool to Cry.' We cut like 10 tracks that were just jamming, and then later on they turned this into some stuff, and a couple of those ended up on Tattoo You." 1981's Tattoo You, though presented at the time as an album of new songs, was actually cobbled together from unreleased songs recorded from 1973 to 1975. Perkins plays the jaw-dropping guitar solo on "Worried About You."

It kinda shows that Ronnie Wood's selection was less about his talent and more about his Britishness and how much he "looked the part". The photo below is Keith with Wayne during this time:

[​IMG]

2. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

It is interesting to think of what might have been. I love Perkins' guitar on 'Hand Of Fate' and 'Worried About You', that's for sure.

Rojo and tkl7 like this.
  3. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this!

4. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Great read. I also love the lead guitar on those songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.