Interscope Called My Son At Work

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by britt2001b, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member Thread Starter

My 22 year old son who lives in Indianapolis sent a demo of an original song to Interscope last week and they called him back at his work today. The caller said he really liked it and asked him a few questions. He said he would submit it to another department and possibly expect a call back.

My son called me at lunch today asking "what does this mean?" I'm afraid I really don't know myself but I told him I would ask the forum and hopefully some members would have had some experience with this.

Was the caller a screener to take what he thinks will do ok to a higher department? I'm sorry I'm ignorant in these matters. We're both at a loss as to expect what's next. Can anyone give me some advise for my son?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If it's songs he's written, you might want to call a lawyer real quick. If his songs aren't registered at all, I'd hate to hear his ideas to be stolen. Not that Universal would do such a thing, but you have to be careful.

Ask your son what they talked about, in detail. Don't get too excited yet, it could be just a touch-up call to say "thanks", which is more than most would expect.

Report back.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

They don't usually call unless they smell money. They person that called was probably A&R and would hand the tape over to either a producer or a senior A&R person, possibly for inclusion on an Interscope artist's album (cha ching$) or movie soundtrack (double cha ching$$) I think you can get a little excited just to receive a phone call. If they do want to sign him or use his song you're looking at an awful lot of lawyer phone calls in your future. Just remember, publishing is worth more than artist royalties... much, much more.

Hope it all works out for him. Best of luck.

4. sydriver

sydriver New Member

Don't get too excited too quickly. I have a friend in a band who has received calls from high level people at the following record cos: Elektra, Capitol, Columbia, and some smaller companies and has performed for them in a venue rented specifically and exclusively for the execs to see them play. It has been 2 years. Record companies are still expressing interest and still no record deal or touring deal or anything.

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

All of these comments are right on, but this may be the most important one. He needs to make sure that his songs are copyrighted. There are a number of ways to do that.

6. Mike

Mike New Member

Everything your son writes is automatically copywritten the moment he writes it so don't get freaked out. When the time comes your lawyer will handle the registration and other stuff. If he wants to register now he can find the forms here. Good luck!

7. britt2001b

Thanks everyone for the above responses. Good info. I'm contacting my son after I finish this post to have him initiate a copyright process. He did tell me he did the "poor man's" copyright by mailing it to himself, but I'll feel more comfortable with the real thing.

It was an A&R guy who contacted him.
    I'll keep the forum posted on the results. Please send any advise, my son will need it. I don't want his material taken advantage of there is really something to this.

Thanks so much!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Anyone have a web address for Interscope? Thanks:)

9. britt2001b

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't know much about lawyers, the music biz, what's going on these days, etc., but I do remember many bands / people complaining (in the old days, at least) how the record company still owns the rights to the first few albums. The band never gets a cent.

Watch the wording on that first contract!

12. tradergoatee

tradergoatee Forum Resident

this next sentence cannot be stressed enough

DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNLESS A LAWYER YOU TRUST LOOKS IT OVER FIRST...NEVER...UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Britt...as far as your boy doing the poor mans copyright, make SURE he sent it to himself REGISTERED mail, and that hes doesnt break the seal. That will protect him in the event of a copyright suit.

Mike

14. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

good luck....

15. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

Do not rely on this method. Sending it to yourself via registered mail means nothing legally. Really. It's not worth the gas for the trip to the post office. If you want real protection, do the real thing -- it's not that much more costly than registered mail.

Yes, all works are protected implicitly by copyright law. For serious legal protection, you still need to register.

I am not a lawyer. :) This is not legal advice, et cetra. But I have studied these matters.

Also, what tradergoatee said. Tripled.

16. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

And tripled again. BUT be sure you're dealing with an ENTERTAINMENT lawyer. Don't just open the yellow pages and pull any old lawyer. Entertainment lawyers can tell you specifically about copyright law, record company contracts, royalties, etc. They'll negotiate with the record company for you, hopefully retaining all publishing rights. Also, make sure this lawyer you hire has good references.

As a side benefit, often an entertainment lawyer that deals regularly with record companies will have their own "ins" with other A&R people, so if Interscope doesn't work out for you...

BTW, as others here have said, register the copyright ASAP. You can do it yourself -- no need for a lawyer. Form PA for sheet music, Form SR for a recording.

17. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Go immediately to the library of congress website and download the copyright forms PA and SR. Fill them out, enclose the fee and a tape of the songs in whatever form they currently exist, and send them off TODAY. As soon as the copyright office gets them, they'll time-stamp the applications and the materials and send you a copy (that usually takes months - every time we get a new president, he cuts their staff again). Even if the application has problems, they'll time-stamp it when it gets through their door and then send you a letter explaining what you did wrong.

After you've done this, don't get your hopes up for any kind of a deal from the record company. The industry is a real mess; even if you've got someone at a major label who thinks you're better than the Beatles, they could be fired by the time their offer gets to you in the mail. And if you have low expectations of all this and something still comes of it, you'll be pleasantly surprised. And of course, get a lawyer before you sign anything - and find the lawyer yourself. Don't let them suggest one. But you won't need a lawyer till they start talking about serious negotiations anyway, which may never happen.

Of course, this is simply the voice of experience and should not be construed as legal advice, etc, etc, etc......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.