Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

it ends so abrutlty that I have to replay it again and again.

yet it also segues quite nicely into Wasted Love.

Great lyrical journey from the universal worldview lyrics of CE to the singular personal outlook of Wasting Love.

2. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Childhood's End:

Also forgot about this tune, I always liked it and would play it a lot back in the day. I can't remember the last time I listened to it though. If someone mentioned it to me by name I would have even drawn a total blank. At any rate it's going back into my playlist for awhile.

I like the intro and love the progressive drums and guitar combo. For me it just works so well. Bruce's lyrics on top of that progression is powerful and moving. I wish those two little solo's (2:14 and 2:47) fit a little better as they almost sound like completely different songs and kind of break up the progression.

3. ian christopher

lesser heavy bands would've repeated the phrasing through both sections of the chorus, and would've repeated the same melody in both harmonies that bookend Janick's chorus.

In general I love many of the tight and focused Maiden songs - in many ways I rate songs such as Icarus, Twilight Zone, Sun and Steel, Invaders, and several other less loved Maiden songs quite highly. But Childhood's End bests all of these due to the amount of thought and creativity that is put into the tightly focused progressions.

deceptively simple, every part flows into the next, but there's tons of layers to enjoy with each subsequent listen. Nicko's dancelike rhythms underneath Janick's chaotic solo are also a reveleation - Nicko never lets the neat yet repetitive intro part grow stale or old. One of his greatest strengths is in changing up his feel and fills throughout songs. Rime and Seventh Son (the song) are other great examples here - he rarely repeats the same fill, and thus plays around with increasing and decreasing a song's tension at key intervals.

4. ian christopher

they do seem jarring at times - I have begun to see them as a change in the song's narration - the regal yet mournful harmonies are Bruce and his bandmates looking at the world around them as they travel and tour - seeing the stark differences between the first world and third world - but when that chaotic solo breaks out, the POV changes to that of a person merely trying to survive in a war-torn, bombed-out, polluted ghetto.

SammyJoe, Zoot Marimba and izombie73 like this.
  5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Childhood's End -

Never really gave this song much time back in the day, always preferred the songs before and after it. That said when I give it my full attention it is pretty good. Really like the chorus.

The other point with this album is I couldn't remember who wrote what. I automatically thought this was a Gers/Dickinson song, not sure why but didn't think it was another Harry tune. Not a big fan of the sudden ending though. Perhaps deserves a better outro.

Its good, kind of middling for me on this album, not the best but also far from the worst. A very good album track.

6. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Childhood’s End: I didn't remember this song at all, it's really great. Sonically, I hear a warm and full tone in contrast to some of the other songs on the album so far. I listened to it 4 times in a row!

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

This song rocks....kind of. The guitar themes are a little too weak to be so repetitive for me. I will hide now. :hide:

8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Childhood's End
    I gave this two listens and I think it's OK, but I just can't remember much about it immediately after listening. Good vocal performance by Bruce, passionate. 7.0 out of 10.

SammyJoe, TexasBuck and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Childhood's End

Woo-hoo! The train didn't derail and now we're flying through some epic elements. Childhood's End is the lost hidden gem in the Maiden catalogue. Very unique drumming from Nicko that sounds very similar to their cover of "Massacre" from two albums ago. Great intro that provides a atmospheric aspect to a driving theme. This song simply grabs you and doesn't let go. Bruce's rasp is perfect for this track. My third favorite from the album following two tracks that we haven't come to yet. 5/5

10. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Childhood's End. I'm just not feeling this song at all. There's something about the push of it, the urgency, that I feel is worthy. But for whatever reason I find the lyric flirting between being preachy and trite. And Bruce's rasp is further alienating me from it.

I found an interesting quote on the Iron Maiden Commentary about how this song is not based on Arthur C. Clarke's novel of the same name; "Clarke's story is about an alien species that comes to Earth to prevent Man from travelling to the stars by enslaving him in a society of entertainment and shallow pleasures". I would have preferred they tackle that lyrically.

11. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Childhood’s End: Again, I’m going in blind on this one. Another fairly melodic intro. Verses are decent but a little generic. Chorus is really really good and I love the drums. That turns this song from a throwaway into a pretty enjoyable tune. 3.5 stars out of 5.

12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Right about “Childhood’s End” is when I look at how many songs are left and curse the CD age. This album is just too long.

(I’m impatient for our discussion of the Blaze era. You can count me among the big fans.)

13. CBackley

(Not that I’m not enjoying this thread. It’s one of the best ever on this site!)

SammyJoe, izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

No problem and I'm glad to see you participating. Just curious how many albums have you gotten to?

CBackley likes this.
  15. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Childhood's End

Go, Nicko, go! Love his tribal drumming on this. Bruce builds up this song nicely, and I like when it kicks into a higher gear about halfway through. Not a favorite, but this is a solid Maiden tune.

16. CBackley

As in how many have I listened to since I started following this thread? That’s an easy one: ALL OF THEM. In order. And the best ones several times. This thread (and Bruce’s book, which I received for Xmas) have lit a fierce Maiden fire in me.

MusicMatt, izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. CBackley

Or do you mean where am I in catching up on the previous many pages? I’m just about to “Quest for Fire.” I’ll buckle in for that one! :)

ian christopher and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. Zoot Marimba

In meant in terms of how many you've reviewed.

CBackley likes this.
  19. CBackley

I’ve only weighed in on NPFTD and FOTD. But I’m in from now until the end.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

If you want to review the eighties albums when we finish the Blaze Years go right for it.

CBackley likes this.
  21. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Childhood's End

Classic intro on this one, but it could honestly sound like a dozen Maiden songs before the drums come in. I'm going to disagree with most of you in that I don't like the drum sound on this song. Sounds like Nicko is playing the low tom in this section before the 1st verse (and in the choruses), but there's just no power there. I haven't said it in a few days it feels like, but the production on this album is so thin and weak. I also don't like the way Bruce is singing in the verses and it's definitely not good enough for these lyrics. Should be sung with more emotion. Musically the verses just kind of plod. The chorus isn't written very well...there's just not much to grab onto either melodically or in catchy-ness. The change for the bridge is a welcome one, but it sounds like a stock melody riff. I do like the scale run-up that happens a couple of times in this bridge. Janick's solo is pretty damn good and he hits some nice licks in there. It's clean! He should do this more often. I'm not really convinced by the harmony part after Janick's solo. Also, Steve's bass tone is horrible and weak on this song.

What the hell happened here? Other than the lyrics and Janick's solo, there's not much in this song that I like. It's a shame. I mean, it's not outright bad, but it's just really boring. That's another one I'd take off the album.

22. Zoot Marimba

I did notice how weak the drums sound on here. It's not be necessarily what Nicko is playing, it's more the drums just have their balls taken by the production.

CBackley, Standoffish and Cheevyjames like this.
  23. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Same goes for X Factor, such a long album.

CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. CBackley

I love The X-Factor, but it is definitely too long. I’d cut a few songs...though I’d be tempted to replace them with some of the b-sides!

Cheevyjames likes this.
  25. CBackley

I’ll do it now, but just briefly:

S/T: Excellent debut. Great sound. 5/5
    Killers: Great, but not as good as the debut. 4/5
    NOTB: Now we’re talking. I like every song, even “Invaders” and “Gangland.” 5/5
    POM: Their best album, even if it sags on songs 7-9. A hallmark of metal and rock history. 5/5!
    Powerslave: A slight step down from POM, but still astounding. 4.5/5.
    SiT: I love it. I’ve always loved it. It’s one of my most listened-to Maiden albums. That being said, it has a few weak tracks. Loneliness of the Long Distance runner...meh. Alexander the Great...meh. The rest are too notch. And I love the b-sides! Solid 4/5.
    SSoaSS: After POM, I think this is their best album. I didn’t enjoy it much when I first got into Maiden back in 1991, but now I can’t get enough of it. It’s a masterpiece. 5/5!