Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

I actually agree with this, because good or bad, they'll give me more to talk about than this one or NP did.

2. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Wasting Love

Man I love this song, its so great.

I thought it was cool for Maiden to even do a power ballad.
    I'm an 80's hairband power ballad lover but come on by 92 I was all into grunge.

I skipped purchasing the album on release day because NPFtD was so bad. I thought Maiden had lost some of there edge.
    When this song came out as a single, like 6 months after the release I was definitely back on board. I would play the hell out of this song and even loved the music video. Nicko looks cool back there drumming.

I like how the song doesn't ever really speed up to much, its just a nice steady plodding. Even during the solo part it's not going to fast.

I agree with the Skid Row Quicksand Jesus kind of sound, never put those together like that until its mention here. Good call... I love Skid Row because they could play it heavy and also knock out such huge power ballads.

3. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

The Fugitive:

The song sucks A$$, definitely a skipper for me. Sitting through the listen for this thread was enough for me. I have only listened to this song once back in 92 and then again today. I remember why I forgot about this one.

4. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I also feel its not a complete song. The jarring directions the music and chorus go a few times feels like they took 4 things they had come up with threw them in the blender and said yea that'll just about do it. I just doesn't work though.

5. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I was thinking about it this morning knowing that Fugitive was coming up and also someone mentioned a weird transition in either Wasting Love or Childhood's End. It's also something we discussed back on some No Prayer tracks. Maybe the reason that the songs weren't as tight was because of the loss of Adrian? I'm totally guessing, but maybe he helped with the arranging a good bit. Or maybe it was Adrian and Martin being gone (in spirit, he was very much still physically there)? Something changed in 1990 and quite a few of the songs feel a bit jumpy. Then again, I still get that feeling coming up once Adrian is back in. It's not constant, but it's there a lot. Hell, maybe it was Birch being an active participant in the studio, helping them shape the songs and get them tight.

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

See if this makes sense to anyone. Before starting Fear of the Dark I had about the same number of listens to it and The X-Factor. That being very few listens, and mostly just vague impressions and remembrances of two albums I don't like.

So with that said, I feel like The X Factor is a band on a pretty confident track but I just don't like the results overall. With Fear of the Dark it feels like a band with no direction or inspiration at all just spinning their wheels and they might have been better to cancel this album release and take a year or two off.

7. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Forum Resident

I might as well make this my review. I was digging it until the the "lies and lies and lies" part with that janky rhythm. And I usually like janky rhythms. Didn't work for me on that one.

8. gilpdawg

gilpdawg Forum Resident

Childhood's End

Wow man, I haven't heard this song in ages! Mostly because I've never been a huge fan of this album as a whole, but this rips. I like it, a lot.

Wasting Love

I kind of enjoy this one, even though it's a departure for Maiden. Maybe that's why I like it. Their "formula" was starting to tire a bit by 1992, so anything out of the box would be interesting.

The Fugitive

Haven't heard this one in ages, either. And it's not bad. Not as good as Childhood's End, but it's good. I quite enjoy the whole solo section. Not because the solos are great or anything, because they aren't. But it just has a cool vibe to it, if that makes any sense.

9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Exactly, i'm new to them, I own them but only 1 play each. Not expecting to be blown away but as with all Maiden albums, even the weaker ones, there's got to be a few gems to discover.

10. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

The fugitive is a good song to start side b of the record. A lot of guitar parts to learn, really cool to play it on guitar, the chorus is fun too. Not the best song from the albun but a great way to go back on the fastline after 2 smooth songs.

11. Cheevyjames

I see what you're saying, but I don't think more time off would've fixed the biggest problem in the band - Bruce. He didn't want to be there any more and as he said in his book, he didn't even know if he wanted to play music anymore. (I think it was at this point in time). Even though I was in high school, I remember thinking it was a really short turn around between NP and Fear. I really think they should've taken the time off after Bruce left, esp. since they didn't before.

12. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Fear Is The Key
    The fundamental difference to Kashmir is that on this one the riff doesn't turn around any bars, it just lasts for one 6/4 bar and then starts again, unlike Kashmir which drives me crazy. The middle part is a nice unexpected change. I like it that they balance on the verge of progressive but still keep it fairly straight-forward. That's the third song already I like off the album. If there are more I may have to buy it.

13. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

The Fugitive
    The verse melody reminds me of a popular Finnish religious hymn. Maybe @SammyJoe will recognize it too. Other than that I find it very run of the mill. I've seen the Harrison Ford movie but not the sixties show. Wasn't the movie based on it? Dave's solo is cool but Janick's is just silly.

14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Good call on the "out of the box" songs - my review for Apprarition will praise its slightly left-field approach, an approach which leads to some of the better moments on this album.

While we're at it - why not ante up the "fugitive spy" theme on The Fugitive with some sax/horn parts? hah!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

i was in high school too and remember being shocked about the short turnaround time. It was a bit of a breath of fresh air for me though, being so disappointed with No Prayer.

I haven't added any thoughts on individual songs on NP (save for my love for Run Silent, Run Deep), but I can't think of any other Maiden album where I only enjoy 3-4 songs.

Zoot Marimba and Cheevyjames like this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Chains of Misery:

Chains of Misery, written by Bruce and Dave, the latter receiving his sole credit on the album. The song is written about that little devil that sits on your shoulder and pushes you towards your worst instinct- not a bad idea for a song.
    The song begins with a charging drum beat, backed by guitars, and the guitars are decent enough, occasionally there's an interesting Lick, although the gang vocals in the chorus I could do without. I have heard this song compared to Dokken, and I can hear that a little. Dave solos around the two minute mark and really takes off at 2:19, and it's easily the saving grace of this otherwise so-so track. It's not one of the worst on here, but it isn't really good either.

17. Cheevyjames

Chains of Misery

Ugh, this one. By far my least favorite song on the album. This is Dave's first song on the album so thankfully his 2nd one is much better. Things I don't like: the "dance-y" quality of the music, the confusing lyrics, the gang-vocal chorus, Bruce's voice in general, basically everything except the guitar solo. That change to the guitar solo is freakin' fantastic. Total callback to Charlotte the Harlot and some of the earlier songs. So basically, Dave puts in this excellent solo into this otherwise totally crap song. I simply don't like this song and for me it's worse than From Here to Eternity, Assassin, Can I Play With Madness & even Quest for Fire. Their worst song up to this point (the title will get taken away in roughly 2 weeks). The album doesn't need to be an hour long, here's another song to chop.

@Musicman1998 Bruce and Dave also wrote Judas Be My Guide

18. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Chains of Misery

Eh, not much going on here. Best part of the song is the change in vocal melody at :33 and 1:16. Bruce ditches the raspy vocals for the more traditional Maiden sound. This song isn't bad its just nothing special. 2/5

SammyJoe, TexasBuck, CBackley and 4 others like this.
  19. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Steve thought Fear Of The Dark, the whole album, needed added audience noise...WTF?

20. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Chains of Misery

Yep, there's definitely a Dokken vibe to this, especially the backing vocals. I'm a Dokken fan, so I guess that's why I like this one more than others do. But it is kind of a poor man's Dokken. It's okay, but not memorable.

21. Zoot Marimba

I like Dokken too, I mean, not the hugest fan, but I like Tooth and Nail and Under the Key, I think both a very solid glam metal records.

22. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Have you checked out Back for the Attack? It's my favorite of theirs.

23. Cheevyjames

Burning Like a Flame is such a fantastic song. As with FOTD, BFTA is too long even though it's a good album.

24. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I don't think Bruce was the problem in '92 anymore than I think Adrian Smith was the problem in '90... the problem as I see it, and frankly have done for a while, is Steve Harris and his unwillingness to push Maiden musically forward in the 1990's; that attitude cost them both one of their guitarists and their vocalist... both of whom were substantial contributors in the songwriting department, and it showed when the former left and the latter lost interest before he too departed.

And although I haven't read Bruce's book, so I'll stand corrected if need be, but I believe he's said he wasn't sure anymore that he wanted to make music after the commercial failure of 1996's Skunkworks album, which he gave his all to and was utterly devastated by the largely indifferent reaction it received upon release... he was ready to walk away from the music biz until Roy Z came along with a bunch of riffs and ideas and it sparked his interest again... the rest, of course, is history.

25. Cheevyjames

I looked it up, Bruce thought about quitting music both after Powerslave and Skunkworks. I have no proof, but I get the feeling that Bruce would've left in that general time frame regardless of what No Prayer and Fear of the Dark sounded like. You're right about the "biggest problem" being Steve. It's his band and they do what he wants. When I said Bruce was the biggest problem in the band, I meant that any additional time off wouldn't have fixed his lack of interest in the band.

izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.