Is anybody interested in a jazz on audiophile vinyl (and maybe some digital) thread?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know there is a Music Matters thread and it is excellent, however some of us seem to go off topic quite a lot:whistle:. So, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a thread where we can discuss and compare releases from MM, Speakers Corner, Org, MoFi, Analogue Productions, Pure Pleasure and any others I have overlooked?

2. I'd be interested. I'm not too knowledgeable about jazz, but have a fair sized selection on audiophile vinyl. I'm a big Oscar Peterson fan and recently (6 months ago) bought the MPS 6LP boxset that was a AAA release and pressed at Pallas on 180g. In general I prefer live jazz recordings over studio releases.

3. David Ellis

Neither am I thus the idea of this thread where I can ask and learn without being admonished for going off topic.

4. Who are some of your fave jazz musicians? And what are some of the albums you currently have or really like?

5. David Ellis

Miles Davis, Art Pepper, Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Billie Holiday. John Coltrane (not the later stuffy to name a few. But there are so many great jazz albums out there it's difficult, but I have virtually everything Miles. Not that struck on "free" jazz or avant-garde but you never know. I'm loving the Analogue Productions and Music Matters 33rpms of late. The Penguin Book Of Jazz is pretty good but only you know what you like.

Licorice pizza and LavidDange like this.
  6. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

My latest purchases of "audiophile" Miles are ESP(Impex records) and Bag's Groove (Analogue Productions). To me, both have amazing sound and are standouts from Miles vast discography. I'm not that big into early Miles albums, so Bag's Groove was a big surprise to my ears.

Despite a small catalog, Impex Records seems passionate about the sound on their releases. Monk's Dream is another recommendation.

7. David Ellis

I agree. I have several Impex releases and they are superb capped by the latest, Monk's Straight No Chaser. But then if I'm honest most of the remasters I have on Music Matters, Speakers Corner, Analogue productions, MoFi, Pure Pleasure and Org are superb. Yes some are better than others but not enough to bother me. I am now listening to recorded music in a way I never thought would be possible.
    PS looking forward to the new Music Matters releases for Jan.:agree:

antielectrons and LavidDange like this.
  8. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I'd be interested in this thread, for sure. I've been a Music Matters subcriber and have all their releases, and am continuing the ride into 2015. Standouts from 2014 include all the MM releases on 33.3, the ORG 45 rpm of Ornette Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz to Come," the Impex "Monk's Dream," and just squeaking in at the end of the year, "Masterpieces by Duke Ellington," a pretty amazing recording put out by Analogue Productions; musically it is near perfect, too.

David Ellis and LavidDange like this.
  9. LavidDange

I just got Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life on the Pure Pleasure label. This is my first Pure Pleasure release and I was not disappointed. If you like your jazz with a funk heartbeat, yeah, here is some. Sounds like a cousin to Miles' Brew.

David Ellis likes this.
  10. David Ellis

Have you got Masterpieces? I have it order but I'm told not available here until mid Jan. It' getting great reviews.
    Have you got Monk's Straight No Chaser. I i's a must have. Impex just lifted the bar. I just acn't stop recommending this one. Another great one on Impwex is Brubeck's Time Further Out.
    I too am a subscriber to MM and they are brilliant but that doesn't mean we shouldn't seek out the other great reissuses. I don't think I've got any Org they seem to be the most expensive in the UK.

11. David Ellis

I must admit I'm also loving the new Miles 45s on MoFi.

Dmann201 likes this.
  12. David Ellis

I have Billie Holiday, Nina Simone and The Jazz Messengers on PP. All great and reasonable in UK.

LavidDange likes this.
  13. Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up on Cisco is something I really enjoy. Although OOP, they're still quite easy to find.

14. David Ellis

Agreed though I have it on Heavenly Sweetness which is a good label if you can't or don't want to afford the full audiophile.

badsneakers and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I do have it, it arrived yesterday from Music Direct. It really is a remarkable record. The dynamics and presence are beyond most albums of any kind. The first time you hear the horn players take a breath, you see what kind of audio treat you are in for. There are some blasts that are so sudden and dynamic that I could see it making some turntables jump the groove if everything isn't set up just so. The sides are a little on the long side too, so you'll need a setup that's not susceptible to inner-groove distortion.

David Ellis likes this.
  16. Hank Mobley - Soul Station is another fave of mine, but I don't have an audiophile copy. Any recommendations?

17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Heck yeah -- the Music Matters 33 1/3 is probably the best it's ever going to be. I also have the 45 rpm version, which is a little different sounding, better in some ways, not in others, but it's out of print I believe. You'd be well served with the currently available 33.

18. David Ellis

I have to endorse this:)

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  19. It's on my list! Thanks!:righton:

20. David Ellis

You really should try Cookin', Workin', Steamin' and Relaxin' if you like Bag's Groove. All on AP by the master Kevin Gray (pun intended).

LavidDange likes this.
  21. LavidDange

Oh yeah, I like the "'in" series from Miles. I'll have to go through all of them again to remember which one is my favorite.

22. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I can attest to the sound quality of Cookin' and Steamin' ... there are a lot of great sounding titles in that Prestige series: I have and can recommend "Saxophone Colossus" and Tommy Flanagan's "Overseas" in particular.

This thread is getting really expensive, really quickly...

23. LavidDange

Though a small label, if you're looking for audiophile quality jazz from current artists, check out Firehouse12 records: "While the label has already been celebrated for the consistent sonic excellence of its recordings, future vinyl releases will embrace classic analog audiophile techniques, cutting lacquer masters directly from 1/2" tape mixes."

Johnny Vinyl and David Ellis like this.
  24. David Ellis

I'll have to try that, thanks.

LavidDange likes this.
  25. David Ellis

And while we are talking about expensive, has anybody heard when the MoFi Filles De Kilimanjaro is out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.