Is Beatles Help & Rubber Soul 1987 Original 1965 mix CD's considered unofficial?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WTLB, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WTLB

WTLB Forum Resident Thread Starter

The title pretty much says it all.

I'm asking Beatles lovers here because I'd like to know if those CD's pressed by the now defunct pressing plant DISQUE AMERIC are official or not.

I saw at discogs.com that this version of Help is unofficial. And I was pretty shocked because I have a precious Beatles collection that was produced at this pressing plant (Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper & The White Album).

Here is the link:
    http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Help/release/5420622

Thanks to everyone who's looking!

Comaboy likes this.
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Official EMI product with unsanctioned content - presumably by mistake.

Comaboy, BIG ED and Kermit27 like this.
  3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

A good mistake. I only have the remixes. Never heard the originals.

Comaboy likes this.
  4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

One of the best :agree:

How's the availability/price on these nowadays?

Comaboy likes this.
  5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Don't know. I don't have them. I remember them being fairly high priced in the sh.tv classifieds. But now that the mono box is out I don't see them as much around here. Collectors items perhaps?

Comaboy likes this.
  6. WTLB

Thank you guys, the answers makes me feel better :)

So to sum it up: these are official BUT EMI might have sent thoese 1965 mix by mistake?

Comaboy likes this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They're awkward. Lots of hard panning of entire vocals and drum kits and the like. I will always maintain they made the right decision by remixing them, even though really the 'official' CD versions should've been mono from the get-go.

Comaboy, Kim Olesen and Platterpus like this.
  8. 905

905 Senior Member

They could have saved headaches and just put mono and stereo on the same disc.
    I like both versions at least.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That would be giving consumers value-for-money. Not exactly a priority from the Beatles' camp over the years. "We could give you a lot more, but...nah. You'll buy this anyway."

905 likes this.
  10. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I assume it's nosedived, since the same stereo mixes appear on the Mono box.

BIG ED and Kermit27 like this.
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I have no problem with my 1987 remix CD's. That's what I'm used to. I wouldn't mind hearing the original mixes just out of curiosity. What I would really like is to see the mono CD's sold separately from the box. I would get Sgt. Pepper for starts.

12. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

These are two albums I really like but cause me some neurosis. I think that in the absence of a good stereo mix, Rubber Soul '65 mix has clarity and is not bad on a good system but unlistenable on cans, the '87 remix is slightly better in that respect but adds reverb. The panning really grates most using headphones.

The mono of RS is my 'go to' but on this CD, the slight (overload?) distortion at the beginning of Michelle annoys me no end. I'd be interested if that is the case on the new vinyl. So no perfect answer for that one but I much prefer the mono overall.

For Help! no such qualms, the '65 stereo is very good. In an otherwise excellent Mono box, the first half of Help! is my biggest disappointment, just too muddy and flat. The second half is better, but the '65 Stereo is very good and the 87 remix is just unnecessary imo.

13. WTLB

I really like the original 1965 stereo mixes on both of them ( Help & Rubber Soul). I also like the 1987 remix. I think every different versions of the Beatles albums sounds great, just different.

I once compared the originals 1987 cd's with 1965 mixes with the 1965 stereo mixes in the mono CD box and they sounds just the same (even if there was a remastering job on them, which I'm not sure).

Tx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.