Is GoldMine still relevant ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikePh, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

This is one thing that will always set apart Goldmine and Discoveries in comparison to eBay. Seemingly anyone can go through the stack of dirty old LPs in their resale shop, their basement or attic, grandma's house, etc. and list them on eBay. They visit the ads of other sellers (legitimate dealers) then mimic the listings with grading such as VG+. In a lot of cases, the resulting vinyl is garbage. I've bought a few that way. But it's sometimes easy to tell when a dealer lists an item vs. a Regular Joe, who wouldn't know a Goldmine or a Discoveries from a National Enquirer. On eBay, anyone can be a record reseller. I have just learned to tread carefully in what I buy. :)

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Hi Tim and thanks for the reply.

I guess that since you've explained the shipping procedures of "Goldmine" & "Discoveries", that I shouldn't blame the publisher, I should blame the postal service!

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm starting to wonder if my postman isn't keeping my mags a few days and reading them before placing them in my mailbox??? Get your own subscription! Just kidding postal workers...I love you guys & gals. The long lines, the bad moods, the throwing of my fragile packages...makes me wish that one of them would actually go nuts while I'm down at the post office, just for something different! PURE DEPRESSION THERE!

Chris C

3. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I agree with what you say, but they are going after bootleg sellers. A local shop owner just got busted for doing that. The following is from the Concord Monitor newspaper in New Hampshire:

Music store owner allegedly sold illegal CDs

Recordings were seized from Pitchfork Records
    By SARAH C. VOS
    Monitor staff

Concord

The owner of Pitchfork Records was arrested yesterday on charges that accused him of selling bootleg CDs at his Main Street store.

Michael J. Cohen, 49, of Craney Hill Road in Henniker, turned himself in to the police yesterday morning. He was wanted on warrants charging seven counts of acts prohibited, according to Concord police Lt. George Pangakis. The CDs included recordings by the Dave Matthews Band, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, the Allman Brothers Band, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles and Phish.

Cohen's lawyer, Bill Christie, said that the charges against his client were in line with other recent arrests, like those brought against a teenager for downloading music onto a computer. In the past, such cases were dealt with as civil, not criminal, matters, he said.

"The public would be quite surprised (at) the pressure the recording industry is putting on law enforcement, based upon new technologies that are available to the public to get music," Christie said.

Cohen intends to plead not guilty, Christie said.

The investigation into the bootleg CDs began a year ago after a Pitchfork customer e-mailed the Recording Industry Association of America to complain that the store was selling "bootlegs." Bootlegs are recordings of live performances that were taken without the artist's consent. In December, after a private investigator hired by the association had scoped out the store's bootleg collection, the Concord police executed a search warrant and seized more than 500 CDs.

The new charges are a result of that search. The investigation took so long because the police asked the Merrimack County attorney's office to determine if felony charges would be appropriate, a question that took some time to answer, Pangakis said. In addition, turnover at the county attorney's office contributed to the delay.

The charges brought yesterday were Class A misdemeanors. Each carries a maximum sentence of one year. Cohen was released on $7,000 personal recognizance bail and was at his store yesterday afternoon.

Cohen, who referred all questions to his lawyer, is on probation for second-degree assault. It was not clear yesterday how the charges would affect Cohen's probation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Sarah C. Vos can be reached at 224-5301, ext. 321, or by e-mail at [email protected].)

Wednesday, October 8, 2003

4. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Keep the PRINT MEDIA ALIVE, it still kicks ass!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.