Is it just me...(Gaps between songs)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Curtis, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Thanks, Grant.

2. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Not to answer for Paul, but what I noticed on the CD was the gradual fade given to Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds leaving a gap of silence before Getting Better. The LP had a delayed and abrupt fade. You can hear a few seconds of music die out and then a second later the next song.

Brian

3. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

On the remaster of Journey's 'Evolution' there is a gap of about 4 seconds between <Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'> and <City Of The Angels>. On the original CD the songs are nearly cross-faded into each other. On the remaster you can hear the echo from the last song in the beginning of the next one. It really sucks.

4. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident Thread Starter

...and now that I think about it, I believe that was the main source of my discontent with the Sgt. Pepper CD. Thanks, Brian!

--Paul Curtis

5. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

My favorite "Side 1/Side 2" changeover was on the "Full Moon Fever" CD of Tom Petty in 1989. As best I recall, he explains that this is where you would ordinarily flip over the LP, but as this is a CD, and it is a fairly-new technology at the time, he decided to fill the space by talking for a few seconds! Anyone know if this is still on the CD, or if it was the first pressing only?

The funniest Side 1 changeover is on one of the Carpenters' LP's. They begin by harmonizing a capella "We'll...we'll be...we'll be right..", and then adding another word to the phrase as they sing it through each time. The phrase turns out to be "We'll be right back, after we go to the bathroom"!

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Mike Nesmith did something similar on The First National Band's Magnetic South. As "Joanne" fades out, the band kicks into a vamp called "First National Rag", with Red Rhodes' pedal steel work burning up over it. Nesmith then says "Well folks, we're going to take a short intermission while you turn the record over." Charming, but unfortunately when the album first made it to CD on the UK Awareness label, some folks found it to sound "old fashioned" on those newfangled CD's (I actually remember some people complaining about it!), so when Nesmith released the album as part of The First National Band Complete, he omitted it. I don't know if it's been restored to subsequent releases, but I've held on to my Awareness disc mostly because of that.

Incidentally, does anyone think the Hollywood Records version of Queen's News Of The World added way to much gap between "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions"? That's not the way I used to hear it on the radio when they'd play them both back to back when I was a kid. I had to use two copies of the disc to re-create the same effect on my own radio show back in the 90's.

7. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Hi, Reechie.
    The gap is on the MFSL , too. It's always annoying me. The original 'non-gap' of the LP is what's on my mind since 25 years. Another way to fix this problem is dubbing the CD to CD-R without the gap...

8. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Brian, would you say that this was true on both the Stereo and Mono versions of the LP or perhaps just the Mono version that this happens???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.