Is it just me or is vinyl QC getting a lot better?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

Well it depends as always. BTW, so in your case you keep the plate spinning and change the vinyl records side rising it manually?

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yes I keep it running the whole listening session. I have cleaned records and a clean mat so Ive never scratched anything by doing so.

3. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

It depends on what kind of gear you've. I've tube gear and I always turn them of after a listening session since I want my tubes to last as long as possible. I've never experienced any problems with my turntable motors during the 20+ year period I've used turntables with records clamps.

4. Leonthepro

I would think the tubes wear more from warming up than staying warm for longer periods. But thats just what Ive heard from people who build audio gear.

5. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Recently returned 3 MoFi titles

Aretha’s gold- was warped
    Dire Straits BIA- Had to return twice, one for non-fill and the other for some deep scuffs

6. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

My biggest issue with records in the past year has been non-fill and scratches. Luckily most of the scratches are inaudible, but non-fill is a PITA. It seems to be a specific kind of non-fill too, not the discrete "Pearl Necklace" but rather outright pits in the surface as well as small bumps. These are pressings from the "good guys" too, RTI and Record Industry. I've had less issues with GZ pressings the past couple of months!

nosliw likes this.
  7. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

That's incorrect, tubes wear when you use them and have the gear turned on.

8. Leonthepro

Ah, my bad, tubes should be turned off indeed. But anything else I think not.

9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I believe the major reason why you leave the gear on is to keep it warmed up so you directly get an as good sound as possible. That's the reason why I keep my solid state power amp on all the time since it needs at least 3-4 hours to warm up to make it sound at its best.

steviebee likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Thats another reasons indeed.

11. Krzysztof Maj

Those were released by which company: MOFI?

12. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yes, all 3 were MoFi. The returns manager said they have had many issues with the Dire Straits.

Krzysztof Maj likes this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Maybe because demand is slowing down from its peak 5-6 years ago. That combined with a few new plants that have opened and some plants have expanded. I know turnaround for a new record was about 3 months from delivery of metal parts...I wonder if that has changed.

14. Krzysztof Maj

Good to know, since I was tempting to order BIA for myself :-/

15. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Can you tell me how your clamp would fix this?

Unless you have an outer ring clamp which would keep this side flat when it warps upward like this.
    Putting pressure on the center does nothing to tame the edge warp.

Strat-Mangler and patient_ot like this.
  16. Leonthepro

Clamps and weights mostly help with dish warps sadly.

17. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

That's not a clamp- it's a weight and obviously to light in this case. I've badly warped records that gets nearly completely flat when I use the clamps on my turntables- the screw down clamp on the Orbe SE is especially effective. The thing with the Michell clamps is that you use the small washer between the record and the platter to get full effect to get the edge of the record down to couple to the platter, I've never had any problems even with very warped records.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  18. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Yes, fully aware of that, and I own a Sota clamp. I made this video to try to shame Craft into a replacement (no luck).

My Sota clamp helps, but does not make it as flat as my VinylFlat does.

Leonthepro likes this.
  19. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

So am I the only one with scratches on my new records? The scratches aren't huge but to me a clearly audible click at 33 RPM is totally unacceptable on a new record. I have a shibata needle so maybe I'm hearing scratches others arent? I'd be happy if the only defect was warpage!

20. Leonthepro

Since the Shibata has more contact area higher up in the grooves those microscratches get caught more easily I think. If its just a few it might be worth trying to remove the scratch damage with a microscope and needle. But I see why most dont want to have that bother on new records.

21. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Maybe you should try a Michell clamp? ;)

22. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I bought the second Dinosaur LP (not Dinosaur Jr) - sealed but a nice scratch right across one of the quieter tracks. Exchanged.

Can Tago Mago (sealed) also had a scratch like the trail a drunken ant wearing sprinters' spikes would leave. Clearly a tiny bit of grit that got put into the sleeve along with the record. Exchanged.

And a fair few smaller warps, whooshes on some records.

Worst for warp has been the Music From Big Pink remix (pink vinyl edition), nice bumpy hiccup right on the run in of disc 1, sounds on both sides. It plays and the 'bump' is pretty much inaudible shortly after the music begins, so as the online store is now sold out, I'm keeping it.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Worst I had was with the gold reissue of "Easter". A giant wave on an eight of the record, as if someone started to use the disc in order to make an ashtray but abandoned.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  24. Helom

Helom Forum member

My MoFi copy of BIA is near perfect. There's one track that has a couple consistent pops, but not enough to warrant a return. My luck with MoFi is very hit and miss.

Many of my best pressings come from Pallas these days. My confidence in RTI is waning.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

I receive a fair number of new pressings with light scratches. I find those areas of the disc rarely coincide with the surface noise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.