Is it OK to NOT like classical music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Do you consider John Williams OSTs classical music ?

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I very much doubt charts and retailers would consider OSTs by anyone classical music, even when dealing with something like the OST to Milos Forman's Amadeus.

3. Tartifless

Strange because for example Star Wars OST is typically classical music !

Many movie scores here :
    Classic FM Hall of Fame

In addition, my recommendation for classical sceptics.
    I don't particularly listen to classical music but those should be listened to before making final judgement :
    - Albinoni - Adagio for violin, strings and organ in G minor
    - Bach - Orchestral Suite n.3 in D Major "air"
    - Pachelbel - Canon in D major
    - Mozart - Eine kleine Nachtmusik

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    royzak2000 likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

The comment I started this thread with was about the U.S. because that's where I live. It's what I know. It seems we now have two members from France challenging me. Could it be that classical music is more popular in France than in the U.S.? I think so.

5. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

As long as you don't make any sweeping assessments about it’s worth based on your own dislike.

It’s objectively the most timeless music ever created.

I became a fan through the bastardized form of film music some 20 years ago. So I was never a purist.

Horner’s score for Star Trek 2 open my eyes to Prokofiev and Britten. Then I was hooked.

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Who's "challenging" you ? I'm giving a possible explanation for declining classical music sales everywhere : operas are done as DVDs and Blu-rays nowadays, and that has to cut worldwide album sales somewhat.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have not seen any statistics, but it would not surprise me that interest in classical music in America is declining. Are children in public schools still able to participate in school bands and orchestras? Are they encouraged to take piano, violin and ballet lessons? If not, then it's really very sad.

On the bright side, there are enough people who like classical music in the US to support a number of the best symphony orchestras in the world, so the opportunity is there. Even in Cleveland!

snowman872 likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Absolutely. or the U.K., Germany, Italy or probably anywhere else in Europe. The problem is getting a decent priced ticket. I recommend trying, though, Even if you are not a fan. Get the family dressed up and experience grand music in some amazing venues. See a ballet at the Paris Opera house if you are ever there on vacation. Classical music takes over the 5000+ capacity Royal Albert Hall in London for two months every summer during a wonderful music festival called the BBC Proms - affordable tickets are available if one books early enough. Operas are still presented under the stars at the Coliseum in Verona, Italy to audiences that number 15,000 or so. Etc.

Take it from a guy who owns far more rock music albums on Classic Records than actual classical music albums (did I get that right?), these experiences are priceless.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Posted this in the "saddest song" thread. How in the world Jeff Buckley, presumably not classically trained, pulled this off, is astonishing.

John B Good likes this.
  10. Tartifless

I think Jeff Buckley was classical trained...
    His mother played Beethoven on the piano while he was young, this is as much training one can get.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Symphony season is starting in this little corner of Canada. One of the concerts in the mostly classical schedule will be a Bowie tribute.

I'm expecting it to be awesome.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If you had asked me when I was say, 16 years of age, I'd of said Classical music was ****. Ask me again when I was 25 I'd of said that some Gregorian stuff is interesting. Ask me when I was 35 and I'd of said than the Minimalists are great. Ask me at 55, and I'd of said that much contemporary material is great, especially - strangely - Danish composers.

And so it goes on. Music is a journey. Hopefully you don't get stuck in particular place. Not liking/enjoying/appreciating means it's not for you yet. But hopefully your mind is open to the idea that - who knows - maybe one day it'll click. Or not.

Wugged likes this.
  13. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Dvorak - yes. Otherwise, I hate classical music. The New World Symphony is just awesome.

14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Very well put :) A never ending journey, full of surprises.

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Everything by Dvorak?

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

When I started reading this thread I might have agreed with your choices, but now they seem to me what the haters hate. They are nice.
    Classical music can be violent, dirty, emotionally disturbing most is not pretty.
    I would try the opening of Mahler's 2 symphony, the second movement of Shostakovitch 8th, some percussion from Xenakis even some electronic stuff.
    And the late Beethoven string quartets, straight in at the deep end, any Jazz guy can enjoy four musicians working together and playing their own solo bits.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  17. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Of course it's OK to not like classical music, or any other form of music for that matter.

However, in the case of classical music, you are missing out some great experiences, IMHO.

I don't play much classical music, but when I need to hear a particular piece nothing else will do.

I'm thinking of Elgar's 'cello concerto & Sibelius symphony number 1 to name but two pieces off the top of my head.

Nothing comes close to these when the need is there.

snowman872 and royzak2000 like this.
  18. He uses the tools (instruments/scoring) of classical music, and the language of classical music. Classical composers composed music to accompany plays (therefore not needing inherent structure), so it seems to qualify. The fact that anyone currently composing in a Late Romantic style is essentially "derivative" might not make it innovative, but that doesn't change the genre. Soundtrack music doesn't really have enough uniqueness to qualify as a genre of its own.

A rock band who creates Beatlesque music is still creating rock music.

19. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

and this?

EDIT - Derp. No reading comprehension on a single cup o joe..I read classicesque.
    AFAIC, Dr.Viossy's transcription of rock guitar playing a classical piece is rock not classical.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  20. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

What does Dvorak have that other composers don't?

21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Actually, raga music predates it and is still around, there are probably others.

22. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

It's had the advantage of deep-pocketed donors and public money in many cases, that keeps it going quite a bit.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Theme from "Schindler's List" is already a popular encore piece for classical strings players.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    snowman872 likes this.
  24. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Of course it does not. European classical music, as you're so find of calling it, can be said to go back to pre-gregorian monody, if not Greek antiquity.
    If I'm not mistaken, the term raga is first mentioned in the 13th century.
    Not that a musical form's age has anything to do with its worth, or that the idea any art could be timeless is anything but absurd, but still, let's get our facts right.

25. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

What serious classical ensemble plays John Williams as an encore ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.