Is it time to go class D?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by farmingdad, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident Thread Starter

How would you compare it to the Wyred amp? Thanks!

2. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Not sure I could, I use them in different applications, although they do share a similar sonic signature (flat) which I like.

If budget is tight, definitely worth consideration, well built, 3 year warranty.

farmingdad likes this.
  3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I'm using a Vestax VDA-1000 in my home theater to power my dual 15" driver infinite baffle arrangement. The IB configuration is very power hungry and the Vestax does the job with no problems. Very happy. That's more of a "pro" style amp than "hi-fi" but it works great here.

4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Yes it is time to go class D
    Provided it is well designed and implemented
    High quality filtering is essential, lack of xformers is a great benefit to mechanical noise, weight and temperatures.
    AVI has a great little active LS the DM5, tiny ,clean and powerful with a built in comp/limiter.
    This is D class amp at its best
    On my wish list for location monitor.

5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

It does look like a good product, but having researched it I'm not really understanding AVI's constant sanctimonious dissing of B&O ICEPower modules. I've lived with my W4S/ATC based system for 5 years and have never had a system this good and as well balanced.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not-invented-here-syndrome maybe?

The ICE module has been used in several well-thought of products, so it must be doing something right!

sound chaser likes this.
  7. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

AVI built their own D amp which was to be made in South Wales by their contractor
    They then found an excellent Chinese one for half the price....
    B&O kit is always fabulously expensive and its amps also could be chinese sourced.
    The DM5 is a great bit of kit and almost unburstable with its limiter, I was driving a pair with +12dB line out from my Nagra VI
    It was Faures Requiem ,it sounded very good for such small drivers and cab.
    D amps are revolutionising hi end PA, 50 amps of current and 1Kw in a small module, ideal for Touring.

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Also high-end, custom home theaters here in the States (the ones that look like little cinemas in your home). Since they produce so little heat they can be hidden in walls.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Class D is a bit of an acquired taste , some folks like them some don't .

10. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I wonder if the lack of coloration that seems to be the hallmark of the best Class D designs is what people don't care for? Personally speaking, I don't mind euphonic colorations depending upon the nature of them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident Thread Starter

Larry Johnson and PhilBiker like this.
  12. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

One that was rated "class A" by Stereophile (not that that means much to me). I think it was either PS audio or parasound, not sure which modules it used. Also B&O makes some high end speakers that have class D amp in them- the ones I heard were 16K. Both of those were demos at store- as far as in my own system I used a medium priced Onkyo integrated that was class D. Regardless of price there are certain instrumental timbres that sound off to me and a slightly weird quality to voices on the class D amps I've heard. They were very impressive in many other respects.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I use a pair of W4S Sx-1000's with a Parasound P3 and I am very pleased. They are dead silent, compact, and cool running. I think it was 6 Moons that did a comparison between them and the Bel Canto 1000's, said they ran neck and neck, and were at least $3600 cheaper than the BC's.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Man, I'd love to try a pair of those. I don't really need all the power, but I bet they sound great.

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I think such a change is true of so much in audio. Someone who has been listening to a 60s band-limited system might like its 'polite' sound, and when faced with a modern, dynamic, full-bandwidth system might be put off, even though the latter can be shown to be more faithful to reality. This is why there are advocates of certain cartridges (e.g., Ortofon SPU), vintage speakers, vintage tube amplifiers, etc. They are not chasing accurate.

You can never have too much power!!! :)

PhilBiker, Erik Tracy and konut like this.
  16. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

The reviews on Spectron and Channel Islands amps are very intriguing. I would be interested in hearing them.

17. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

The technology in the latest NAD amplifier , and also the Hypex power amplifier modules are supposedly among the current cutting edge of class D amplification technology (the Rogue sphinx integrated uses the entry level Hypex modules, the top of the line module is reported to be the current state of the art in class D and is probably what a lot of high end designers will be using, they are also available as DIY for those that want to make their own amp).

18. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I guess it does come down to each individual listener and how they apprise those terms: "euphonic" or "accurate". The most common complaint leveled at class D amps is that many have a thin quality to musical instruments. Basically the instruments lack weight. There is no musical mass. Real instruments when played have a musical mass that class D amps do not convey IMO. Also although they stage well and things are spread and located with precision, there is a lack of air surrounding things. I did'nt get a sense of physicality with class D. One man's light and thin is another man's accurate.
    To rolo 46: B&O manufactures the ICE power modules many class D amps use. It was the ICE in the 16K speakers I heard. The Bang and Olufsen salesman assured me their stuff is not made in China.
    Until N Core came along the ICE modules were what most high end designers used (and some still do).

19. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I wonder if these possible tendencies are down to the Class D circuit construction, digital amplification in general, or the implementation of the scheme.

The NuForce, and NAD amps seem to have very different construction models as compared to Class D amps.

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=306&Itemid=370/index.php

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/inte...-3020-hybrid-digital-amplifier/all-pages.html

20. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I guess I meant the NAD C 390 DD (even though the re-release of the 3020 is more recent). That Nuforce looks like a similar idea to the NAD 39oDD. I was curious and almost went to demo the NAD but I'm pretty big on analog Lp's and the idea of plugging my turntable into and AD card did'nt make much sense. If your system is digital based and class D is on your radar both amps seem like top options to demo.
    As I posted above you could also buy the Hypex modules and make your own class D amp. From what I've heard it is'nt too hard to do. The things are just about ready to go out of the box....that's why we are seeing these affordable class D options from some of the manufacturers- they are very easy to make.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  21. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Implementation is EVERYTHING! For instance, W4S utilizes a dual, balanced FET input stage which raises the input impedance to 60.4k ohms.

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rogue Audio chose the Hypex modules for their excellent quality and adaptability. They use only the output stage of the devices and throw out the switching power supplies. They then designed their own, heavy duty linear power supplies for both the Hypex units and for their own vacuum tube input stage. The input section is the same as their Metis and Cronus models with their very nice Mm phono and headphone sections.

I'd venture to say that it's at least half of the equation. Yes, how a device is implemented is very important but there is still a very large qualitative aspect in device selection.
    -bill

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes... amazing really given what Ash had to say about Class D amps last year.

Anyway that's an aside; for my money, companies like B&O and Lyngdorf were there ages ago.

24. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Yes but at what cost Bro ?
    Went into a B&O store in Cheltenham the other day ,they have some great products, but the price is astronomical!
    They were EU funded for RnD and some very advanced devices were the outcome
    AVI is producing a very compact ,transparent monitor pair for £700,B&O a IPod dock portable speaker for £600.
    Both with chinese amps.

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

First of alPLEASE get one thing in your heads ow : CLASS D amplfication is analog NOT digital. The D was chosen after Class a A/B and then there was a C left out or what. Someone invented the D for a new way of apification with much higher efficiency and less heat. There are 3 basic ways to build these modern high efficient power amp modules , one is PWM - Pulsewave Modulation. Think of an oven plate - There are only 2 modes ON + OFF. In between these switches the temperature gets balanced to the chosen level.
    Same principle with the amp. It wsitches on and off in a certain pulse wave. I got a PWM amp rom PRIMARE that sounds very nice. They build their very own amps and it sounds more like tubes than solid states. Plus you can really crank it up to very high levels and it still sounds good. 2&75 WATT.
    I pair it with 8 OHm speakers hence the one weak spot of the early models is problems with low impedances. If that happens the bass is lacking and you get all these effects people complain about. No air around instruments, lack of a well rounded sound.
    One aspect is true. It is def. on the leaner side but the bass is tuneful and deep. A pleasant sound. This model was introduced in 2006, so expect newer PRIMARE amps to sound better.
    BURMESTER just released it's very first CLASS D amp. The 101 for 5.500 Euro and reviews are sensatinal. It goot 91 from 100 points- Very short from the best amps money can buy.
    Comes even with a good MM Phono stage and great headphones. All in house developed- Took them 3 years since January 2019 to get the amp right.

Check it Out :
    http://www.burmester.de/en/Products/Components/Integrated-Amplifier/101-Integrated-Amplifier.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.