Is it too late to get into vinyl now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martgrol, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I have too many new LP's that refute this claim. Not all new ones are bad - not by a long shot.

Ed

2. It dosn't sound like your missing anything. If a person is questioning whether to take the plunge into vinyl it does not seem like much of a stretch to post some arguments for avoiding the media. Whether these posts constitute thread crapping, as at least one poster suggested, I'll answer in the negative.

3. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

These first three responses say it all. Just go-for-it! :)

AJK74 likes this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

Exactly what I did about 6-7 years ago - sold my entire CD collection (roughly 1500) after ripping them and funded a huge amount of quality vinyl purchases. I got a ton of the 'core' without any extra cash outlay.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

People who ask others if it's too late will probably regret they didn't just find out for themselves.

Slick Willie likes this.
  6. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

With you there with kraftwerk's Computer World.. I treated myself to a superb original UK pressing of this earlier last year, cost around the same price as the modern repress, but my God.. Sounds amazing, one of my best pressing.. I'm not easily pleased but was amazed at how that sound leaps out the speakers at you, plus I love the original inner sleeve with the curved corners..

johnnyyen likes this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Good to hear. One of the best pressings I have ever owned - then and now.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

They are a PITA; I'll give you that:laugh:. As for sounding better than CDs ? It depends, and varies enormously.

patient_ot and Jackson like this.
  9. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

It's never too late. Most importantly have fun with it. To me shopping for vinyl, especially used vinyl is more fun than shopping for CDs or downloading. I enjoy the physicality of vinyl: cleaning records, the album covers, turning the record over, etc. Vinyl has noise, accept it -- heck to me some records just don't sound right without some snap, crackle and pop. Take the forum with a grain of salt - never forget that it is about your ears, tastes and what sounds good to you on your system.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

[​IMG]

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Probably the worst time in the last 10 years to be jumping into vinyl. Look before you leap.

Cronverc likes this.
  12. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I just don't get the "vinyl is ancient technology" thing for defending CDs. These are also outdated. New laptops and cars don't even have CD drives or players anymore, as streaming continues to grow worldwide as a "format". If you dig vinyl, go ahead and start collecting. You won't regret it.

13. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Sorry mate, it's too late - all the hipsters have bought everything up...

14. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Start now, cause it will be 30 cents more tomorrow.

15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I wonder if there will be more and more desire for the authenticity of certain analogue era records as time goes by. I'm not talking about which version sounds better (cd vs vinyl, original vs reissue, etc.). I mean whether the look, smell, and feel of an old Beatles record will command even bigger prices. I can't imagine prices going down just because of superior (or not) technologies in the future. You can't replicate an era as incarnated by those exact records.

Slick Willie and John Adam like this.
  16. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

I do wonder weather I should maybe spend more on vinyl now then I would normally like to in order to get some rare originals I can just about afford as if I wait and prices rise much more, they will be out of my reach.
    What's people opinion? Will vinyl pressed in the late 80s, during the 90s and 00s continue to rise and become increasingly more sort after? Or has it peaked? Many were pressed in very small numbers from that period, will they continue to be sort after by people coming into vinyl in there 30s & 40s or will many begin getting forgotten about by the young hipsters?

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

The 90s vinyl is my primary decade. I may have more 60s-70s LPs, but my 90s stuff is cherished by me. It took a long time to collect my 90s vinyl at reasonable prices, and have no intentions of selling it off anytime soon either. Many of them still haven't been repressed/remastered, and those that have still seem to retain their value for the most part. I can't think of too many that had values drop after a recent reissue.

18. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

If you have not owned/heard much vinyl, you might want to take a few baby steps and see if your ears agree with the hype before diving in recklessly and spending a lot of money. Vinyl became near obsolete for a reason -- surface noise being the main offender that sent me to CDs in the 80s. Neither format is perfect.

Robert Parker likes this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

false.

e.s. and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think yesterday was the last day.

Slick Willie and Vinyl Addict like this.
  21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Shhh!

Let people believe this. It's win/win for the rest of us.

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

true!

23. scotto

scotto Senior Member

It's only too late if you never start.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

The short answer to this question is 'YES. IT'S TOO LATE TO GET INTO VINYL! GO AWAY!'
    The longer answer is that if you didn't get into vinyl during the era of 78s, then you're just a johnny come lately would-be trendy type.
    And anyway, vinyl is just a passing fad. It's wax cylinders that will once again triumph as the format for singles.

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

Have you got a pile of cash you want to get rid of?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.