Is 'Let it Be' DVD finally coming?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeYoung, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm not sure if I have posted in a Grateful Dead thread. Deadheads have a different type of humor, so I'll have to first work on my repertoire. I'm not sure if cabbage jokes will go over well in that setting .... ;)

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I dunno. Cabbage leaves are pretty good for rolling.

Mark

Long Live Analog, theMess and Zeki like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

You've tried??? ;)

theMess and dewey02 like this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm now automatically "liking" Arnie's posts, just to clutter up his alert notices! :D

5. Mark Wilson

Yes!! With meat & rice, stuff like that. I'm sure anything else that consumes well in a rolled form would work equally well.

Mark

dewey02 and theMess like this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

So, just in case anyone's still wondering, in answer to the thread title, "Is Let it Be DVD finally coming?" the definitive answer is:

Nobody knows. But it might be. But probably not. But possibly. But nobody knows.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  7. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Finally!

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes, we Poles call that Golubki (pronounced Go-woom-key).

Mark Wilson and theMess like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

We're moving in the right direction. Almost there....

theMess likes this.
  10. Raf

Raf Senior Member

11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

it helps that you quoted the press release verbatim

12. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

This thread IS the new Let It Be film release. They've left it to us!

BadJack likes this.
  13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"Don't Let Me Down" is a great song from John, a heartfelt classic. The fact that it wound up as a B-side was wrong, but I don't see how John should be lambasted for that.

So you feel that John's heroin was solely during the LIB sessions? When I said John had good material, I was also including 1968.

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, I do condemn his heroin use... but in the end it was a blip on the scale, and there's a wealth of great music overall from him. Other artists could only wish they had the material John did in that so-called "wasted time".

15. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Yeah, I could see that being the case. That's along the lines of what I was referring to earlier - like they were trying to protect John by sticking to the Paul story and not talking about his heroin addiction at all.

So did Klein, John, George, and Ringo plan for George to perjure himself? Wouldn't John and Ringo have to confirm George's story and perjure themselves too?

Based on what I've read in Miss O'Dell and You Never Give Me Your Money, I get the impression George was really conflicted about the whole thing but stuck it out because he thought this would lead to a partnership with John.

theMess likes this.
  16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"Don't Let Me Down" is a great Lennon love song, and it would have/should have made the album. Just because it was incomprehensibly overlooked doesn't mean it wasn't done. And yes, I do count "Across The Universe" as another fine John song, even if it was fine-tuned from months earlier.

linclink likes this.
  17. Mark Wilson

Yep! My uncle was Polish and we used to make it regularly growing up.

Mark

18. Mark Wilson

Wow, much more optimistic than your 1964 Bootleg assessment, which was dead on. I'm dam near excited now.

Mark

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  19. Right On! Who cares when "Across The Universe" originated, as it's about as great a song as there is in their catalog. ("When I'm 64" was written when Paul was 16 for an example & "Wait" was recorded for the "Help" sessions, etc., etc. etc.)... As you noted "Don't Let Me Down" is a great Lennon love song, & I adore the wild & weird "I Dig A Pony", which is a total rooftop highlight, as was "One After 909", real outright oldie that it was- it fit the project perfectly, it absolutely rocked live & I think of it as a primarily Lennon number & finally lest we forget the magic of the Lennon part of the collaboration of "I've Got A Feeling".

Lennon's contributions to this project were great!!! There were plenty of songs that any of the 3 of them had lying around, but this ended up being composed of what got finished up in 4 weeks or so with what turned out to be an aborted project & a short great live rooftop set. Personally I wish they'd have tossed "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" & "Old Brown Shoe" on there too- along with "Don't Let Me Down"!! And for the "Naked" release I wish they added the Harrison demo of "All Things Must Pass". I certainly dig both Harrison songs on here- "I Me Mine" is especially great & "For You Blue" clicks as a roots workout like "One After 909" does, but if anyone got a bit shortchanged project wise it was George's material. Beyond the sheer brilliance of "All Things Must Pass" (up there with "Across The Universe" & "Let It Be") he had loads of great material that just didn't surface in usable completed versions within the time before the clock ran out on this one.

They were coming off of the long & difficult sessions that birthed the brilliance of The White Album & there was just a wealth of material around a-plenty from all parties concerned (some of which went back as far as The White Album, or before, & some of which ended up on "Abbey Road"). There were egos & indifference, & rough vibes from all concerned...Lennon's particular issues were just uniquely his...they all brought their own unique issues to the table at the time & the idea that Lennon was missing great material (released or otherwise available) just doesn't add up at all to me. There was also plenty of great camaraderie & out & out magic that produced amazing music & as fave a live event as I have with the rooftop concert- which also makes for about an exuberant ending to any film I can think of.

20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Or was taken wrong, and now it's all this! :p

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I believe Across the Universe and most of John's White album tracks were written before he started using heroin.

22. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Proof?

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You can't prove someone was not using heroin 47 years ago but there weren't reports he was. Seems real unlikely he was doing it in India where a lot of those tracks were written.

24. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

its always crazytown when it comes to this album.

I love every second of it. The Lennon material on this album is up with there the best songs in the whole catalog for me. Dig a Pony and Dont let me Down? amazing music.

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm glad John was using heroin then so he was able to write "Don't Let Me Down". One of my very favorites of his from any period.

I mean, this whole thing is utterly idiotic.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.