Is Sons of Anarchy worth watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Hi all

For one reason or another I missed this here in the UK, now I have Netflix I'm looking for a new series to start watching. Without any spoilers what can I expect? Is it one of those shows that keeps you wanting more, or does it just roll along? Your thoughts guys.

2. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Very good show. If you watched it in it's initial run you couldn't wait for next weeks show.

3. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

It was always pretty ridiculous, but I found it irritating after a while. Each episode was like 1.5 hours long in the last couple seasons--totally bloated.

Gumboo, lbangs and rufus t firefly like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is it better than The Walking Dead?
    ........ ...... ........,.Breaking Bad?
    ........ ....... ..... Lost ?
    ....... ....... ........The Wire ?

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Very highly recommended. Being 57, and set in my ways, my 32 year-old son, a BIG fan, was afraid I might not care for it.
    I invested in a copy of the Blu ray box set, figuring that, even if I did reject it, my son would be happy having the set in the house.
    I was hooked by the second episode.
    Enjoy !
    Also...there are other threads here also, should you want to look something up, after a viewing.

6. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

It starts off well but does get tiresome as the later series go on, mainly due to an ongoing sloppy attitude in the writing as to how their criminal lifestyles seem to go unnoticed by the authorities. They should have set it in a time before forensics became popular. Worth watching though.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I enjoyed the first four seasons a lot, and watched the rest out of habit and just to see what happens. I loved the way Sutter wrote a season arc with a few twists and turns and a final surprise or two. Episode to episode could be uneven in the final three years and the body count etc. in the last few seasons was just unbelievable. . . I agree with uncarvedbloke that it was ridiculous how much went unnoticed and uninvestigated by the law.

chilinvilin likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Starts off a little slow but by seasons two and three it's very good. Later on -- either four or five, I forget -- I lost interest because it got too brutal. It just started being a bummer.

jc1303, chilinvilin and Rufus McDufus like this.
  9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I just finished watching Season 7 (The Final Season)
    I went through the whole series in order watching it on DVD.
    It was a nightly ritual: Sons Of Anarchy with a glass of Whiskey and Water w/ ice.

Excellent series overall; well worth watching.

Avoid spoilers; do not look anything up on the net or you'll have the whole thing ruined for you. Also avoid talking to people who have already seen it.
    What I did was go on the IMDB after watching each show, and reason the synopsis of the episode I had just watched the night before as they were spoiler-free.

Go slow with this series. One or two episodes at a time; don't overload yourself; there's a lot going on here...

IMO, up there with The Sopranos and Breaking Bad overall in terms of quality and consistency.

Those who say it's too violent, well, that's the point and it comes with the territory given the subject matter at hand.

However, great writing and acting throughout.

Special mention of Katey Segal; she is incredible in this.
    (also, Jimmy Smits adds a really nice touch to the last few seasons)

Watch for some Rock stars to make an appearance throughout!

I loved the show overall and highly recommend it!

Brenald79, Larry Mc and DLD like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Good show. I enjoyed every season though it probably ran one too many.

Was it TV gold? No, probably not, but it was very entertaining and had characters you could love or hate and certainly identity with. It's worth the time without question.

11. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

F'ing A!!!!!

12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

A great series.

Larry Mc likes this.
  13. Great show. Basically the Godfather storyline but with a biker gang.

GodShifter and Larry Mc like this.
  14. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Good show and as sumbuddy else said, Katey Segal was amazing

LEONPROFF and Larry Mc like this.
  15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I bought the blu-rays and watched 2 episodes at a time. Like any show on this long it has some moments that are, shall we say, week.
    Over all I enjoyed the show very much. Keep in mind they are bikers so there's some violence. :)

16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

We always looked forward to it and while it got really dark as it went on, it was still a fun story to latch onto. There are some really, really intense episodes though. Crazy it was on standard cable TV.

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yes! , yes it is !

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'd suggest simply watching the 1st 2 episodes, you'll know whether it's for you soon enough.

19. Gibson67

I watched the first two episodes last night and plan on watching a couple more this evening, I quite enjoyed them so I'll be giving it some viewing time!

LEONPROFF likes this.
  20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Enjoy the "ride"............:pleased:

21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

No, nothing is better than THE WIRE.

[Yes, that makes me a walking FAMILY GUY joke.]

jriems, Scotian and bopdd like this.
  22. Gibson67

It's got me gripped already! I work a nightshift so I've been watching a couple of episodes before I head off to work. Looking forward to episode 5 tomorrow!! With all those seasons ahead of me...I'm already looking forward to a few twists and surprises. Thanks to all for helping me decide to watch it.

23. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Great show, it's definitely a binge-watcher. NOT better than Breaking Bad in my opinion, but up there.

24. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

For me it's a good show, definitely worth watching. Not top tier like Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Deadwood and The Wire, but pretty close.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  25. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

IMO, no, and I watched most of it.

dbsea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.