Is Ted Nugent Underrated? (NO Politics or Lifestyle discussion)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobsblkwax, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Aggressive as in coming across as ego driven and predatory. It's a totally subjective interpretation based as much on the way Ted sings the song as the lyrics.

He must've learned pretty fast, here's the complete Rockpalast performance from '76...

After watching this again, the Cat Scratch Fever intro is slipped into Ted's Stormtroopin' solo (3rd number in the performance.)

BTW, I envy your having seen Captain Beyond. From the little video footage I've seen they were apparently an amazing live band.

If this thread lasts long enough I may share my humorous Ted Nugent story from the Dallas International Guitar Fest. where he performed about 5 years ago. :D

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    gd0, Shvartze Shabbos and junk like this.
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

When he wants to he can really rip it up on the guitar, anyone that denies that, well......

3. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

Underrated or overrated? I dunno... it depends what you're after I guess.

I have room in my life for some of Fiery Ted's brand of Rock and Roll... his over-the-top "don't care if you think I'm a dick" showmanship... his sense of fun and caricature... And, boy, can he handle a feeding back guitar.

In fact, it's not just that I have room in my life for this sort of thing... I still NEED it sometimes... just like I did when I was a teenager in the 70s.

I suspect some people take Ted Nugent's music (studio and live performer) far too seriously. For me it's just rock and roll... fun... escapism.

But underrated or overrated? Depends what you want and who's doing the "rating" for you. The folks that'll dig it will find it and dig it... the folks that don't dig it will either ignore it or bitch about it... The first set of folks will think "underrated" when listening to the second set ranting. The second set of folks will think "overrated" when listening to the first set ranting. :D

xdawg, stewedandkeefed, Guss2 and 4 others like this.
  4. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

The first album is underrated. Everything else is overrated.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I forgot all about this one. Such a great tune.

Mitsuman, g.z. and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Ted's raunch and roll was no worse than Frank Zappa's, in my opinion. Comparitively, inconsequential actually.... except most Zappa fans would consider Zappa's raunch to be part of his "genius" humor.

edit: you could include Bon Scott's and Jim Dandy's raunch as well. I'd consider Ted's output to suffer more from him, simply, not being able to write a song.

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm glad you guys are happy that we are attempting to keep this thread open and we hope fans of the music continue to enjoy it.

I must however say that even though it may seem to you guys that we close threads at the drop of a hat, that is really not the case. We see a lot things in threads that depending on when you guys are online, you may or may not see. We really don't like closing threads, but only too often they get rapidly get out of hand to point where they are either unsalvageable, or we simply don't have the time to spend on cleaning them up. Take this thread for example, I spent an hour and a half reading through the thread and deleting posts, along with a further hour writing an in thread warning, a report for my fellow moderators, along with issuing warnings and thread bans, that's a total of Two and a Half Hours, after which I still had another seven reports that needed looking at.

I kept this thread going out of both my own stubborness and the fact I'm getting fed up of trolls forcing the closure of threads such as this one.

I hope this helps explains our actions and reasoning a little.

wrat, R. Cat Conrad, Gumboo and 15 others like this.
  8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I think you're getting confused by the fact that it's a hard rock tune. It's going to sound more aggressive than Bread, say, because of that, and that would be the case even if Ted were singing the lyrics to "If" instead.

Tim S and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  9. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Gorts, can you merge this thread with the Roger Waters thread? ;) But seriously, I think Ted is rated correctly - a good 70's hard rock act that had some time in the spotlight then faded. Double Live Gonzo is a fun rock record

g.z. likes this.
  10. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

The guitar solo on 'My Love Is Like A Tire Iron' is one of my favorites of all time.
    IMO, musically the bad outweighs the good in Ted's musical history, but the Ted songs I like... I really like. 'Satisfied' is a great deep track of the 'State of Shock' album.

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

psubliminal, Todd W. and Mitsuman like this.
  12. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thanx again hodgo.

hodgo and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Don't worry; the Gorts have already deleted that post:laugh:. I don't like men, but I can appreciate beauty. Does that make me ¨creepy¨ ? I don't think so !:laugh:

14. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I appreciate all the effort you guys are putting into keeping this thread alive, as I'm sure it seems thankless at times. I also appreciate the recommendations by all, especially the Live Gonzo stuff. I'm going to have to find a nice pressing of it somewhere, as I'm really enjoying it. And on that note I think a spin of the SH Ted Nugent S/T is in order. Great album, really great sound!

hodgo likes this.
  15. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

My very first concert was Sammy Hagar opening for Uncle Ted. It was early 1977, for the Free For All tour. I had been into Call of the Wild, Tooth, Fang, and Claw, and obviously his S/T album before I saw him. For a 15 year old going to his first real rock concert, seeing Ted swing from a vine onto the stage from the top of the PA, wearing a loincloth, was almost more than I could have imagined. And then to hear him explain how his Gibson Byrdland was "guaranteed to blow the balls of a charging rhino at 50 paces." I was a confirmed Uncle Ted fan to say the least. Rob Grange, Derek St. Holmes, and Cliff Davies were all so in sync with Ted at that time, they were a powerful act no doubt.

Edit: It was October of 1976 at Kiel Auditorium.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have it, or used to have it. It's OK. Charlie Huhn is no Derek St. Holmes.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I remember whining to Goldmine (they were asking for readers' opinions on new CD reissues and comps) when Steve's Amboy Dukes comp came out that the gaps between tracks weren't long enough. :hide:

At least I kept it, unlike the RCA Bowie I had.

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

A very intelligent analysis, and a plausible conclusion. The only response I would make to it (and not really a refutation) is that "Cat Scratch Fever" is musically so damn catchy and commercial that he could have been singing about toilet paper and it would have been a hit. Now I was kinda slow on the uptake at 13, but I was virtually ignorant of the various double-entendres in that song, I just thought that it kicked ass. The riff (which is a transparent variant of "Loose" and "Smoke On The Water"), the catchy verse structure, and the exciting lead licks make this a perfect hard rock hit single. Everything about this song is a hook.

19. Any love for Derek St Holmes' and Rob Granges' St. Paradise?
    St. Paradise - Jessie James

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Not familiar, but I love Whitford - St. Holmes collaborations.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love that album. I can't remember the title off my head but I think it's "Miami Slide"? That's a great tune.

@hodgo - thanks for keeping the thread open despite the knuckleheads. I'm sure you have far better things to do with your time than babysitting a Nugent thread. It is appreciated though (from me at least).

22. This came out in '79, almost two years before the Whitford album, but its terrible almost generic band name probably didn't help, and it went nowhere

Murph likes this.
  23. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Very overrated imo.

24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

He's rated about right, I'd say. Not as good as Aerosmith in terms of American hard rock in the '70s, but he's got plenty of decent tunes going back to the '60s. Don't really care about his career after the live album in '81 though.

25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I think Tedly made a crucial career mistake when he fell out with Derek St. Holmes and insisted on singing his own stuff...not only in terms of quality, but also lost the editing effect of running it thru a band, although the argument could certainly be made that the band's relentless tour/record/release schedule had them running on fumes and out of ideas by that point anyway.

But yes, I think his (self-inflicted) image overshadows his guitar prowess, which deserves to be legendary...

g.z. and Terrapin Station like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.