Is the any love in Hoffmanland for Eddie and the Cruisers 2 ????

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love this movie. First and foremost, I love the soundtrack album. Great songs. But this is a film that works all by itself. Although it is a sequel to Eddie and the Cruiser, and the person who knows none of the backstory, can fill it in from what is revealed in the film. And it's a fun story to watch. From the beginning where he is hiding from his past to the very end with the reveal. One of my favorite scenes is the one in the bar where he plays the Adam and Eve song. Great film IMHO.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah! Like "The Idolmaker "as well.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I enjoyed the movie a lot.

4. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

They didn't spend a lot of money on it, that's for sure, the production values are low, from the godawful make-up to some really bad acting...I remember paying to see it and was disappointed. Cafferty's music is solid but again, not the level of the original, IMO.

Steve Litos likes this.
  5. I like it quite a bit. It's a bit cliche and predictable along with a few bad cuts. But between this and the original (Eddie and the Cruisers), they have a couple of my favorite lines.

"Words and Music", crossing his fingers talking to Word Man in the first movie.

and

"You gotta let the Music Breathe" in the sequel.

Every time one of the discussion about PF Gilmour/Waters breaks out here, I always think of the "Words and Music" comment and context. The sum is greater than the parts when you get them right.......and there can be "too many notes" (different movie)

6. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Saw it on the big screen with a decent sized weekend crowd. It could have actually been the opening weekend...late August 1989.

The script had doozies like this exchange during the big dramatic reveal to "the girl":

Eddie - I'm Eddie Wilson.

The girl - Um...Yeah...right.

The rather large crowd openly groaned and laughed at the lines and acting at that point! I mean LAUGHED.

I felt the movie was a complete "cash in", but I still look at it as a fond memory of hanging out for one of the last times with the complete high school gang right before freshman year of college!

7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I haven't given this a thought in years, but yes. I remember liking it better than the first movie.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just picked up the first one used...had it years ago and sold it. never saw the second one...will when I find it in my travels.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thanks a lot for reminding me that this was once a thing.

10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I like that it took place in my favorite city, Montréal. John Cafferty played a few tracks from the soundtrack when I saw him this summer.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Here's some irony for ya: I've seen 2 a bunch of times on cable back in the day and enjoyed it, but I've never seen the original. I just never bothered. The sequel just happened to be on cable constantly.

12. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Just watched this again today - first time in years! I loved it!

They really could have done so much more with it, but it is what it is, and what it is ain't bad.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like both Eddie movies. I used to watch them in a row.

14. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

My musician buddies and I constantly quote from this movie. Soooooo funny! (Not sure if it was meant to be)

15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

16. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

The first was more than enough

17. Horrible.

18. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Soon enough, Hollywood will remake it with Beiber....

19. Nope. Another unnecessary sequel. Glad thst JC got more work out of it as well as some of the actors...

20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I liked it, and really a lot of the songs.

21. Hated it. That guy is a terrible actor. Liked the shots of Montreal, though.

22. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

It was reasonably decent, although IMO it hadn't anywhere near the appeal of the original E & T C. I read the book Eddie & the Cruisers about two months ago and just absolutely enjoyed the hell out of it1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.