Is there a direct and simple way to save still images on my LG C6 smart TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know you can do so in photo mode with saved photographs on your TV or cloud storage or another networked device. But what I want to do is take stills from blu ray and save the image on my screen to either the Smart OS 3.0 system or a usb drive.

On the Fear and Loathing edition blu ray I own, there's an image gallery supplement accessible from the disc menu that has high definition scans of really cool Ralph Steadman artwork among other things that I'd like to capture in their full glory.

I can figure out a roundabout way but I would think there's an option on the SmartOS software or a downloadable program that can do it directly. Off the top of my head the most direct way I can think is to mirror the screen on my Galaxy S8 and try to save the image from there....

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I doubt that this is possible due to DRM restrictions and lack of copying support in the hardware. The only way I can think of doing it would be to rip the bluray and extract the image frames that way. Another possibility is to search for the images you're interested in on the internet - you might get lucky.

3. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

{Found the answer but I'll keep the thread here in case someone else has the same question in the future. There aren't any official apps as of now that are useful, but there's a button on the official remote that most people will probably overlook at first:}

A) At the bottom row of the numeric pad to the immediate right of zero there's a button with a weird picture that I think is supposed to represent a menu screen. If you press this while your remote is smart-connected to control your BR player, you'll get a menu with pause, skip, subtitle, and other various options.

One of the options at the bottom of the screen to the immediate right of "subtitle" is yet again another button with an indecipherable symbol that kind of looks like a TV. Click this to capture the entire screen. (You can locate and browse or transfer these screen captures in the SmartOS Screen Capture standard app from the home menu. Note that you cannot capture images from the TV using this app despite the misleading name.)

B) There's also a button at the bottom right of the remote that says "FOCUS". This allows you to zoom in various levels in a rectangular or circular lens controlled by the motion remote.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Cool. What format are the image caps in?

5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I've just frozen the frame and taken a picture of the screen with my iPhone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.