Is there a "must have" list of Robert Ludwig mastered LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, it says so right in the liner notes.

2. I gotta get it.

Well, here's to the search!:cheers:

3. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

Great list of Ludwig's albums. One is missing though: The Northern Pikes - Big Blue Sky (1987).

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I've got that record, too. Likely a Ludwig. I've never actually seen his initials on a DMM cut, although I have several that are credited to him. It seems for some reason he just didn't sign DMMs.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Just realized this one is not listed here:

Ian Hunter Short Back n' Sides (Ludwig is credited in the liners, but all the copies I've seen have Sterling RL on only one side with the other being a re-cut; presumably a double RL exists. . .)

6. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

The Laughing Dogs : S/T (Awesome Power Pop From the 70's) , Both sides RL

7. motorcitydave

:cool::thumbsup:

8. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

The matrices in those DMM records are pretty hard to read, so maybe he just didn't bother signing them for that reason. I do have one DMM with RL's initials: Naked City's Torture Garden (mentioned several pages back).

I guess this also means that it's likely the Kronos Quartet LPs I mentioned back in Post #869 are his work.

9. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I did a search and didn't find anything on this. I just bought a used Australian pressing on EMI/Parlophone (PCSO 7585) of The Church album The Blurred Crusade and was surprised and excited to find "Masterdisk RL" in the dead wax.

Kind of odd for an Australian disc to have this in my opinion, but I'm not complaining.

10. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Recently found a UK pressing of HOTH with Sterling RL on both sides. Sounds very similar to the sister US pressing.

11. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

I was surprised to find the familiar STERLING RL in the deadwax of the following:

Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - Soundtrack (Dandelion US)

I'm not sure how early a pressing this is. The original UK issue is from 1969, and RYM claims the first US issue happened in 1970. I don't imagine this record needed to be made in enormous quantities, so maybe this is the only US mastering.

12. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

National Velvet S/T album - An 80's Canadian goth-rock band hailing from Toronto, very under-rated.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It there no true list of what he done, rather than going scattershot through this thread.

14. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

15. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

There's a list back in post 716. Feel free to update it with titles from subsequent posts if you have the time.

I'd suggest that the list above from Discogs would include CDs, so it wouldn't necessarily be that reliable. Could be a good jumping off point, though.

16. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

man this sounds awesome on RL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. motorcitydave

Which album?

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The RL Love Over Gold is a bit of a mythical beast in my experience. I've looked through hundreds and have never seen RL. I think "BK" is on 99.99% of them and the rest "HW".

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Not a mythical beast at all! I have 'RL', 'BK' and 'HW' all UK pressings. I have seen RL on UK pressings a good few times.

Here's a thread that ran about Love Over Gold.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=138977&highlight=love+over+gold

JG

20. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I found a Masterdisk stamped Lifes Rich Pageant. It doesn't have the RL that some people have seen on Side1, but it slams every other version I've heard even in VG condition.

21. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Leslie west-mountain..

22. volta

volta Forum Resident

While digitizing my vinyl, I get to two Bad Brains records, and guess what? Bob Ludwig/Masterdisk stamped and credited on the albums "The Youth Are Getting Restless (live at the Paradiso, Amsterdam 1987) and "Quickness".
    Both released on Caroline records, US pressings.

Pretty cool!

23. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

two more...beck,bogart and appice and flowers in the dirt says mastered by bob ludwig.

24. jpan99

jpan99 Forum Resident

You can now add Stephen Malkmus' latest, Mirror Traffic. Mastered by the master: Robert Ludwig. Sounds real good on black plastic. So, guess he's still messing with vinyl...

25. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Are his initials etched in there? AFAIK he doesn't master vinyl anymore. If he's back into it, that'd be huge news around here.