Is there a way to copy the music from your iPod onto a USB?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Darby, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darby

Darby Forum Resident Thread Starter

I accidentally emptied my trash on a Mac OS laptop not knowing that the music files I put in the trash where those connecting to my iTunes Library. It's about 12gb worth of music and it took forever to get it all up there, editing etc.

Is there no possible way to convert from your iPod onto an external drive? Is it just the case of sticking with the iPod now (I luckily put everything I needed onto it earlier today) until the battery dies which should be years from now?

I've tried recovering files but for one thing it would mean learning all the ins and outs of that and plus it costs money to buy a subscription to those.

If I'm guaranteed years worth out of this iPod and theres no other way I think I will be ok doing all this again at some point in the (very) distant future

Thank you for reading.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not sure why you went about this whole process the way you did. You are NOT guaranteed years worth of anything out of your iPod so you need to use SharePod or whatever to get that content back onto you Mac asap.

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Any chance you have your laptop files backed up anywhere?

4. Darby

Nowhere I'm afraid.

The thing is, I collect studio albums but a lot is rare/unreleased songs I've got from the internet, the whole process of putting it back on could take a long time.

However to take the risk and not put it on now and to wait until the iPod dies would mean nothing having the source of knowing exactly what songs I need using the iPod as guidance and coming up with repeating the same discography but going through endless lists of artists full discographies and rarities and then putting them in chronological order onto compilations.

At the same time, this PC is like 7 years old, the "y" key broke not too long ago, its running on its last legs, it probably has longer than you would think as a lot of electronics can outstay what you would think they could but its unsafe that's for sure. To put in the time and effort now would be a risk but if I were to do it and then put it on a USB as I originally was going to.. I don't know

Thanks for reply

5. Darby

Believe me that was not my original plan, it was a bad accident.

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Senuti will do it for you. (iTunes spelled backwards). You can try it out free for a few weeks, which is great if you only need to use it once.

jeffsab, tmtomh and Chris C like this.
  7. Darby

I'll try that Isaac, let me google it.

EDIT: It doesn't support this Mac, MAC OS. :(

8. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Well to be a little more helpful, which Mac and what version of OS X are you running ?

9. Darby

MacBookPro1, 1

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Darwin 10.8.0

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Humm??? I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011 with Mac OX 10.6.8 and I used Senuti with my 160 gig iPod Classic, with absolutely no problems!

11. Darby

"Senuti requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later." From their website, I don't understand wh just won't let me

12. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

How does it not let you ? Does it download from the website ? Are you downloading from www.fadingred.com/senuti/download ?

BeauZooka likes this.
  13. Darby

I doubled click it and it sas it can't support this tpe of Mac :shh:

I used that download, es.

14. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

USB what?

octaneTom likes this.
  15. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Thank you for letting us know your y key is dead, you are starting to make more sense! Good luck, and let's think about letting iTunes do more of the work loading and unloading your ipod next time and get out of this move files around mindset. I cannot remember the last time I even looked at my iTunes music folder; I probably cannot even name it, but that is just me I guess.

17. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I'm a Windows user, and your issue is not completely clear to me, but I'll ask, what is preventing you from copying the iPod folder containing your music files to an external (USB) drive?

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

19. Darby

That works, it installs and lets me access it but when it asks to insert an iPod, I do and it doesn't do anthing, an ideas?

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Switch to vinyl?

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I just tried this and got the same error.
    Mac Pro OS X Yosemite ver. 10.10.2

Darby likes this.
  23. Darby

Good to know I'm not the only one.. thanks for commenting.

Larry Mc likes this.
  24. Darby

25. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Sorry it didn't work for you. Is it because it isn't compatible with Yosemite yet? I'm still using an older OS because updating to Yosemite means that I'd have to rebuy Toast Titanium. Again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.