Is there anybody around we could truly call a musical genius?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

After hearing Jarrett's set, this casual classical fan was surprised that these pieces weren't more prominent in the canon. They seemed very musical and some were emotionally compelling, like a Beethoven sonata in miniature. Why weren't these standard fare at piano recitals? But when I bought other versions, I was surprised how different the interpretations were, and how much more academic they sounded.

Robin L likes this.
  2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

probably not, but I think the whole thread is a stupid argument anyway !! :)

3. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

...anybody "around"...? From among the living, Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney would be near the top of a very short list.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

If you're thinking Monk you have to have Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Tony Williams and others.

old school likes this.
  5. old school

old school Senior Member

The vibe is Monk and classical musicians only. Which I disagree vehemently

Say likes this.
  6. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I don't listen to European classical music, so I can't say about those folks, but there's some rock /blues/reggae/bluegrass/soul geniuses.

Say and old school like this.
  7. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

Prince.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I Googled "World's Smartest Rock Musicians", first thing to come up was an article from Time. Judging by their article there is no question that Brian May of Queen belongs in the "Genius" category. I can't say I think of him as a "Genius Musician" thought that might be due to not being the world's biggest fan of the group. But no question that Bohemian Rhapsody is a classical composition/parody in Rock drag, as if such a thing is possible, and it takea a lot of musical knowledge to come up with such a musical composition.

"Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?"

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/09/07/school-of-rock-10-super-smart-musicians/slide/brian-may/

David Ellis likes this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

10. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

This touches upon the larger discussion of genius in general. There are people who have superior intelligence that can broadly be defined as "genius", then there are people who have a superior instinct for music that can be broadly defined as "musical genius". Sometimes the two categories entwine (i.e. some classical composers), other times they don't. But it should be remembered that music is an art form and is often moved forward by people who don't necessarily have genius IQs, rather genius instincts for music.

This list seems to be taking the "in history" part to mean no one from the last 50 years. Except the website's highly credible subject, of course.

Not bad, though it seems a little skewed toward generally popular artists.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Robin L likes this.
  11. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

Martin Gore is a music genius. I think even non-fans of Depeche Mode could agree on this. He has also received the Ivor Novello Award.

12. old school

old school Senior Member

Bohemian Rhapsody is a classical composition. Well in the Progressive Rock genre has many outstanding Classical/ Rock compositions Tarkus & Pictures At An Exhibition by Emerson Lake & Palmer. Gentle Giant has many Classical/ Rock compositions as do Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Genesis ( Peter Gabriel era) Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco and many others in the symphonic rock genre.

13. old school

old school Senior Member

So this guy's had many different identities that is really bizarre. His current name fits him well talk about spaced out wow what some people will do to press there agenda. Then they find out about him and the process starts all over crazy man!

14. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Vince Clark. The man has had a huge influence on modern pop and dance music.

15. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

NP... I hadn't seen that and was going just by the title. Thanks

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And now your moment of genius:

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

It's obvious from reading this thread, but a musical genius to most people is someone who touches them in that extra special way- for lack of a better term. There's a lot of people mentioned in this thread that I totally disagree with, but they have touched someone in that way.

For me Bach, Beethoven and Mozart are unassailable geniuses. I don't know if it's been mentioned before in this thread but here's a fact to make you sound smart at a party. Mozart composed Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star when he was 5 years old. If that's not a genius. I don't know what is.

Modern music, it's Hendrix. Way ahead of his time.

Others that have been touched by genius IMO
    Pete Townshend. Unfortunately I've seen more than one interview where he's more than happy to tell you the same thing
    Lennon-McCartney together and separately
    Uncle Frank Zappa

old school likes this.
  18. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Do you have a source for this? Everything I'm reading suggests he composed variations on a known rhyme and that was when he was 25.

Robin L likes this.
  19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Actually, I learned that in a college music class. I also got the question right in a game of Trivial Pursuit once so the info is out there. Maybe it's on Wikipedia.

20. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

According to Wikipedia, Mozart was 25 and he didn't originate the melody so much as interpret it.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Right, and as such it doesn't come off well as an anecdote. Beisdes which, "Ah! vous dirais-je, Maman" isn't all that much of a song to begin with. Meaningful indications of Mozart being a prodigy include his documented memorization/transcription of Allegri's Miserere [see post #465] at age 14. The G minor symphony—#25— he wrote at the age of 17 is another indication, a minor-mode work that anticipates Beethoven's minor-mode Symphonies in terms of power and aggression.

bopdd likes this.
  22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Steve Winwood (I sure wish he would write a book of his memoirs).
    Paul Weller.
    Donovan.

23. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

This would be great fodder for the EDM/musician thread!

Robin L likes this.
  24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Wiki can be edited by anyone so it's not the ultimate authority on anything, if you think about it. OTOH, maybe the Mozart story is the first pre-urban legend. ;)

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Other than Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart not sure who is, but I do know that anyone who changes his name to a squiggly symbol is definitely not.

David Ellis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.