Is there anyone you want to see in concert that you haven't seen yet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agaraffa, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

This is for people who, like me, are primarily fans of artists that have been around for at least 20 or more years...

Is there anyone that you haven't seen in concert that you still really want to see? And I don't mean, someone that you wish you had seen in their prime or at a previous time. I'm talking about a band that you still really want to see the way they are in 2015.

I got the idea for this thread after reading another thread about a rumor of an upcoming Zeppelin reunion tour and thinking, as much as I would have killed to see them when I was in high school (mid-80's), even if this was true, I wouldn't really have any desire to see them now. So I started thinking about all the other bands that I used to really want to see, but never got a chance to, and the only bands that I could come up with that fit this criteria are:

- Joe Jackson
    - Duncan Sheik
    - Morrissey
    - Indigo Girls

I tried to see if there was another thread like this but couldn't find one... as usual, if one exists, please merge.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I guess I'm lucky in that I've been able to see virtually everyone I really want to, the capper being Kate Bush last September. There are people I want to see where I can't justify the cost, or people who just aren't currently touring.

DesertHermit likes this.
  3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have not seen Nick Cave or PJ Harvey and would like to remedy that. For the most part I have a pretty high battering average for seeing my favorite groups live.

4. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

Wilco, Deerhoofs, Animal Collective, Portugal. The Man, Jesse Cook and Quilt.

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The Walkabouts and PJ Harvey but I highly doubt I ever will see either.

6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Radiohead
    Justin Hayward solo
    Ray Davies solo

MadMelMon likes this.
  7. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

The Beau Hunks

ZenArcher, Alan G., gd0 and 1 other person like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've managed to miss Wovenhand every time they have come around so far (which isn't often), so them, first and foremost. I'd love to see Killing Joke, and had tickets for their Absolute Dissent tour but the tour was cancelled due to "illness" (cough, cough, poor ticket sales, cough, cough), and New Model Army who don't tour here often.

Others:

PJ Harvey and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (as mentioned above). That's about it.

9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I would like to see U2. I would go see the Stones if someone would take me and pay for the ticket.

DesertHermit and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Ray Davies for sure. Also Donovan and Robert Plant. Jimmy Page would be nice as well :)

Oh, and ELO!

Om likes this.
  11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Neil Diamond. What is frustrating is that he has come to the NY area countless times...it's not like I never had a chance.

MadMelMon likes this.
  12. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Neubauten.

JL6161 and MadMelMon like this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

A couple of artists I really like who I haven't gotten around to seeing are Muhal Richard Abrams, Ryan Adams, Courtney Love, Lisa Batiashvilli and Brad Paisley (though I so dislike 20K seat venues I don't know that'll I'll be seeing Paisley any time soon). Then there are a couple I've never seen but who I feel like I should go and see while I have the chance: Paul McCartney and Wayne Shorter.

14. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Neil Young and Crazy Horse and Emmylou Harris (without someone she's done a duet album with).

Had a ticket to see Emmylou here in Houston a few years back but my flight back home that afternoon from Atlanta was cancelled. Got $150 Delta coupon as compensation which I never used. I lost in that one.

NY & CH never seem to play when I am in town or where I am at any given point (or they don't play at all anymore).

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

IRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDENIRONMAIDEN

Sean, davers, dlokazip and 2 others like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

I can go you one better...

Every time I've seen the Stones, I've been paid to be there!

I had a job selling t-shirts, merch and programs during the late 70s and saw a lot of these bands during their prime at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. I'd also sell sno-cones at the huge SummerJam productions at Arrowhead Stadium. The guy who had the concession actually paid us 10% of what we sold, me, my brother and my mom could make $400+ a night - which in the late 70s was great money.

Heck, I probably made enough over the years to pay for a current Stones ticket!

17. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I have 'tried' to see the Allman Brothers Band since I tried to get tickets outside a venue at Pensacola beach FL while on a USA bus tour in 1995. for some reason logistics always won. At last I had tickets to a show only to have Gregg cancel it in 2014.
    Never to be

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Any garage band I haven't seen yet that decides to get back together....even for a one off.
    (I hated that I couldn't go to the 13th Floor Elevators reunion a few weeks ago.)

Tom Waits

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

One name left on the bucket list:

Leonard Cohen

aroney likes this.
  20. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ornette Coleman
    John Zorn
    Leonard Cohen

21. Chris DeVoe

Aside from Kate, my favorite artist is Todd Rundgren.

Due to his own cantankerous nature, he's never taken the path that would net him the most money and play the biggest halls. I've said it before, but had he decided to follow that path, Todd could have easily been "the American Elton John" - cranking out pop tunes, playing "Hello It's Me" straight at every show, re-packaging his old tunes into Disney musicals, and concentrating on giving the people what they want. Or at least what they think they want.

He deviated from that path when it got too freaking easy. In several interviews, he's said that I Saw The Light took him 20 minutes to write, and a day to record. Entire careers are built on lesser pop tunes.

Why do I mention this here?

Because, due to the aforementioned cantankerousness, Todd is touring constantly and I was able to see him a month or so ago for $35 a ticket. In a bar. And got to talk to him on the sidewalk afterwards.

As much as I love Fleetwood Mac, I can't justify paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket for a seat in a huge arena.

In terms of strict "dollar value for services rendered", seeing a band like Fleetwood Mac in an arena is as bad as a $3000 an hour hooker. And a lot less personal.

22. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I just got tickets for Paul Weller in S.F. so that's one off my list.

But I would like to see:

Buzzcocks
    Joe Jackson

23. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Cohen and Waits were two big ones that I never thought I would get to see that I was able to catch. That Lenard Cohen show was just fantastic! (saw him in Austin on same tour cycle as Live in London). I Enjoyed the Tom Waits show a lot too (Houston same tour as Glitter & Doom album) but of the two Cohen was the winner for me. That said, if I had a chance to see them both a second time, I'd want to see Tom for sure.

RayS likes this.
  24. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Nick Cave sitting at a piano predominately playing descending chord based ballads, a tour he has just completed here in the UK. Still kicking myself for not attending. " Regrets, I've had a few...."

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull.....Never saw Tull live, not sure seeing Ian now would satisfy me or not.
    Mark Knopfler
    David Grisman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.