Is vinyl a PITA?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Schoolmaster Bones, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

Just interested in getting a headcount, and possibly some clarity over this bit of perceived wisdom. It's something that seems to be stated a lot here: that the act of listening to vinyl, despite its advantages, is a difficult and burdensome process.

I used to think this was a generational thing. Younger folks who started out with CDs or mp3s found their fine motor skills put to the test when having to transition to LPs. But there's obviously more to it than that. What say you?

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I voted "NO" although my actual choice, if offered, would have been "SOMETIMES".

3. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

it can be. most of the time it's not though. just keep your records clean and set your TT up properly and there shouldn't be any major issues.

Unless one considers physical media a burden, and having to flip the record every 20 mins.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No. It's how God intended me to play music. :winkgrin:

5. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

It sure is a lot of work. But the rewards are there, so it is worth the effort.

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I think it's a BAGUETTE, myself.

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yes, obviously — but you say it like it’s a bad thing! It isn't.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Vinyl is its own reward

9. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Of course it is. IGD, maintenance (cleaning), lack of backup / redundancy, pressing issues like non-filler / off-center hole / scratches, pops and clicks, finding the right stylus, calibration etc. Take that and then look at digital in its ideal setting (assuming all things being equal like the mastering and dynamics and selection) and imo digital easily wins.

But all things are not equal. Decades of selection, low price for many care of the bargain bin, and amazing sound quality in the right setting are vinyl's strengths. And likely will be until digital / high-res catches up. I think eventually it will catch and even surpass vinyl, but imo that hasn't happened yet.

10. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

+1.

That said, It's a real PITA to listen to recent cd-length recordings pressed onto 2 lps. The sides seem to have like three songs each. This makes for a lot of getting up to turn over the record. Not like the lp experience of yore.

11. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I voted no, but with a qualification....
    There is a burden with vinyl; cleaning it, making sure you store it well. etc...
    but the trade off is in the wonderful soundstage you get out of it.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A PITA ?

And...so are women, but I ain't giving them up either !

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Helps reduce IGD.

14. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Indeed...... think of it as a hobby. :righton:

15. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

+a very large number indeed.

16. user33977

user33977 Banned

Definitely a PITA, yes. I completely switched to file based audio eight years ago and haven't looked back for a minute. But the one thing I certainly do miss is LP sized cover art and the vanishing art of writing liner notes.

Werner.

jamie anderson likes this.
  17. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

My first thought.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

PITA: People for the Ideal Treatment of Audio ;)

19. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

No. It can be a lot more work than other formats but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a PITA.

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

I'm curious about what constitutes "a lot of work".

Here's my breakdown:

1. Pull LP from shelf
    2. Remove inner sleeve, take LP from sleeve
    3. Place on turntable
    4. start motor, position tonearm, lower cueing lever

--- 20 mins or so ---

5. lift arm, return to rest
    6. stop motor (optional - see #7)
    7. flip record, and repeat from step 1. (optional)

so far, nothing listed is nearly as difficult as tying a shoelace, and nearly half the steps involved would also apply to playing a CD.

Granted, I left out some tricky stuff like set up and calibration. But those things don't really apply to common everyday use (do they?). I do use a RCM, but only use it when a record is suspected to be dirty (like when I buy a used LP), so that's just an occasional thing as well.

Am I oversimplifying the process, or is it just the act of putting a record on that's perceived as a PITA?

21. dAlost

dAlost for the love of cheese cookies

No! it's fon to due

22. user33977

user33977 Banned

No: surface crackle, hiss, wear on the record and the stylus, balancing the tone arm, adjusting anti-skating and so on.

Werner.

23. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Nope, not for me.

24. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

It depends on your lifestyle. 15 years ago when I had younger children, it would've been a PITA because I would not have had the time to devote to it...I would just catch the time to listen and tweak in snippets. With my boys grown now, I have the time to give it the attention I want and the amount of time I want, it's not: "Okay, I have this 45 min. to change my cartridge and redo the alignment." Now I have a whole morning or even a day if I want. I guess to sum it up, it was only a PITA to me when I wanted to devote more time to it but I couldn't... And it does take that time and effort to really maximize the sound.

Dave

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I voted yes. It's not a portable format, it gets harmed easily, etc. Nothing against vinyl, but I do think it's a pain to use - at least when compared to CD.

BTW, I grew up with vinyl - CDs didn't come along until my mid-late teens - so this isn't an age-related bias...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.