Is Weezer music aimed only at kids/teens?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mountain Cowboy, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain Cowboy

Mountain Cowboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you think?
    Does music of this 90's power pop band have the appeal on adults or is it only aimed at very young population of music listeners?

John Adam likes this.
  2. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

It's teen music if that's what you wanna hear in it. That said, I still enjoy spinning Pinkerton on my turntable from time to time and I'm 35. I may get tired of sex, but never of Pinkerton!

3. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

The Blue album is a classic for any age for sure!

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

If :
    Weezer music is aimed only at kids/teens

Then :
    Geezer music is aimed... Um, I forgot.

5. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I own all their albums. I'm 56. Gonna get the new one too.

6. For: "The Fun at Heart".

7. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I'm 44, playing blue atm...

8. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I don't know about you but my music taste have expanded if I like something in my teens especially late teens have probably still like it now. And the people in the 90s listening to Weezer are now in the late thirties and forties. Both the Beatles And The Beach Boys where directed at teens look at the audience now

Digital-G and quakerparrot67 like this.
  9. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Depends. Try seeing if kids will sit through this:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Well, their big hit of 1994 contained references that would only make sense to people over the age of around 24........so, no.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  11. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Maybe some of their 2000s work, when Rivers was clearly aiming for a younger audience, Beverly Hills and all that.

Otherwise, no way. Anyone of any age can listen to the likes of Blue, Pinkerton or The White Album and love those melodies. Much of it is no less for adults than the likes of the early Beach Boys and Beatles.

Ignatius and Dr. Winston Ramone like this.
  12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I'm 66 and I dig a lot of their stuff.

13. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'm 52, love Weezer. My two teenagers (19 and 16) could care less about Weezer. So my anecdotal evidence suggests that Weezer is most definitely not aimed at kids/teens. The oldest will admit she liked "Island in the Sun" because it was in some Mary Kate & Ashley Olson video a long time ago.

I'm guessing Weezer still appeals to whoever they appealed to when they first got popular, regardless of their age. They've probably picked up more fans along the way. Like many artists.

Deano6 and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Bands whose demographics are 'Teens and Kids' don't organise their own cruises.

The Weezer Cruise

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Often times music gets marketed towards teens because for many years, teens were the main buyers. Those teens became adults and for many, they stopped buying as much music because they had other responsibilities. This meant that the newer music coming out was again marketed to the next generation of teenagers.

When Weezer first came out, the only people I met that liked them were teenagers and college students. They were popular within a certain demographic so that's how they were marketed. As the years past, Weezer's popularity grew. Now it's not very difficult to find adults who listen to them because their demographic changed.

I doubt Weezer cared who their fans were. They were not the ones marketing themselves to a certain demographic. That was what the labels do. They wrote music for themselves and made a career out of it.

In short, Weezer simply wrote music. I seriously doubt their personal agenda was for kids. Anyone, at any age can enjoy Weezer.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

Their new songs aren't aimed at anybody. They are terrible.

17. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

I like their music and I've heard Rivers Cuomo is fairly bright, but I think Weezer's MO is writing (good) hooks and lyrics that target teens. I was disappointed in their White Album - songs like California Kids are catchy, but i would prefer more authenticity/introspection from them.

They do good pop music, but I think there's untapped greatness and depth there.

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm going to see them next month and well past my teenage years.

Fullbug and Dr. Winston Ramone like this.
  19. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I'm 32 and own all their albums, thought the "White" album was great. I have been called a child before though...:)

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  20. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I would think 'aimed at teens' would imply that the creative process is driven primarily by commerce. I'm not a huge fan, but I don't see that here at all.

21. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Anything from the Green album onwards, yes, possibly.

But "Only in Dreams" gets more meaning as I get older.

DHamilton likes this.
  22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Right now, I think it has the appeal on adults, but in the 90s, it was aimed at the very young and foolish population of music listeners. I was one of them.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this.

24. Mountain Cowboy

Mountain Cowboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I compare a Weezer power pop sound to power pop sound of their predecessors, Cheap Trick, I notice the difference - Cheap Trick melodies in their songs sound more mature to my ears.

For example a song Surrender has a more mature melody than Buddy Holly, but both songs are in power pop style and both are catchy.

Fullbug and Frosst like this.
  25. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Depends if you thing the Sweater Song is a deep introspection on teenage angst and relationships, or just a song about a sweater. I'm pretty sure at this point, it's always just been about the sweater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.