Isaac Hayes: " Shaft " SACD Hybrid-Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SBrad_26554, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBrad_26554

SBrad_26554 New Member Thread Starter

I saw this listed on the BMG Music Club website and I'm looking for reviews on the sound quality from those who have heard it. I already own the 'Hot Buttered Soul' SACD that MoFi did last year. I think it's excellent and I'm hoping this one compares favorably.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The SACD of Shaft sounds stunning. I was simply amazed at the nice smooth sound of this phenomenal disc. This opinion is formed from the SACD layer, I have never heard the redbook layer.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  3. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

If you don't mind not having the whole album, Steve's Analogue Productions 45 RPM 12" single contains the "cream" of that soundtrack, so to speak...sounds fantastic, of course :D

4. SBrad_26554

SBrad_26554 New Member Thread Starter

Wow, sounds good. Anyone know who did the mastering?

5. Don't know if he's the guy that originally mastered it, but the booklet states:

Mastering-GEORGE HORN (Fantasy Studios, Berkeley)

Here's a link to other mastering work of George Horn http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDSUB040403241354272613&sql=R87860#APPEAR

BTW the other copy I have/had (CDSXD 021) states:

Mastering-Joe Tarantino (Fantasy Studios, Berkeley)

Here's a link to other mastering work of Joe Tarantino http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDSUB040403241354272613&sql=R182784#APPEAR

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

This SACD is awesome. So groovy, so hip.

7. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

IMHO they missed an opportunity here by not including the original quadraphonic mix on this SACD. I was just listening to the quad this weekend, and it's pretty durned sweet! To hear it in hi-rez would be great...

8. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

It's kind of a travesty *not* to take advantage of the surround format option, when transferring a release to SACD! MoFi releases are already priced on the premium side and they don't even bother with a surround layer (which 90% of all SACD' s include)? That's really poor value for money in today's music market...
    -wolf

9. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

I've just got this from the BMG Club, and it is stunning. I've never owned a copy of the LP or CD, so I can't compare, but I do not imagine another source being better. Mind you, this based on the SACD layer, and not the redbook layer.

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree. The "Shaft" disc isn't from MoFi, though, is it? I thought it was a Fantasy reissue, though its regular retail price is almost as high as a MoFi hybrid SACD.

11. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

I agree with the rest on this one, the SACD layer is great !!!!!!!!

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Probably on Stax - but yes, Fantasy. I paid $17.99 at Media Play.

13. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

George Horn also mastered the Big Star #1 Record/Radio City SACD, to general forum acclaim (mostly), for those not reading the Big Star threads. :)

14. markl

markl Senior Member

I agree, this is a very good SACD. Sounds much better than the Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King SACD also mastered by Horn, that was only so-so, IMO as an SACD. I guess this goes to show how important the quality of the original recording is...

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Fantasy seems to have forgotten that surround even exists! :(

16. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

SACD Shaft is fantastic. I enjoyed the music of Shaft more than the Hot Buttered Soul. The ramble/spoken into to By The Time I Get To Phoenix was ok for a time or two. Now it just irratates me.

BMG Club is the best price for Shaft. :thumbsup:

17. Dob

Dob New Member

Don't have this one yet, but it is on the way. Am looking forward to it!

18. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Saw him live this weekend at Artscape and he was wonderful, with a great band. He is hilarious and had a great sense of humor. In good voice too

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It irritated me immediately. That should have been left on the cutting room floor.

20. Dob

Dob New Member

Just got mine and have listened to it a few times, both layers. It does indeed have a nice smooth (and spacious) sound... :righton:

21. Time to WAKE UP this decade old thread! :o

I haven't listened to this in ages. Played it tonight and boy is this a great sounding SACD. One of, if not the best Fantasy titles they released when they were still in the SACD game. Stunning sound. Go have a listen and enjoy!

fredblue likes this.
  22. mds

mds Forum Resident

Now you all have perked my interest, I play redbook but no one has mentioned how the redbook layer sounds, anyone listen to it and can compare it to the Stax CD, SCD-88002-2. This sounds pretty darn nice but from what you all are raving about it sounds like the SACD smokes and it might be worth buying even for the redbook layer.

23. Not too sure. I have never listened to the redbook layer of any of the hybrids I own. The beauty in the sound of the breathtaking audio lies in the high resolution -DSD (non converted) layer. I would highly encourage you to by an SACD player and you'll understand why. Even a used entry model on eBay that converts DSD to PCM will still be a revelation compared to the redbook layer at 44.1 on most players except ultra high end units.

24. mds

mds Forum Resident

I have an Oppo 103, however I prefer my Consonance Turnadot redbook player. The 5.1 SACD are fun, but I love 2-channel and the Turnadot has a nicer sound and the redbook layer on many SACD are mastered beautifully so I believe I would really have to buy a high end SACD player to notice the difference and don't have that many SACD to make it worth the investment. So anyone listen to the redbook layer?

25. I understand. That makes sense. I misunderstood and thought you didn't have SACD player at all. The Consonance Turnadot is certainly in the ultra category. I'm sure you get every drop out of 44.1 with that unit. I'll have a listen to the redbook layer in the morning with fresh ears and let you know. I have a Denon 5910ci that does redbook very well. Stay tuned. . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.