Isn't it fun when you rediscover a song that you had forgotten about?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Endymion, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm just listening to Paul McCartney's "Tug Of War" album for the first time and I was very surprised when I heard the song "Take It Away" on it.
    I was 15 when the album came out, I had taped the song from the radio and I must have listened to it 100 times back then. A few years later I stopped listening to my tapes when my tape recorder broke down. I've never bought "Tug Of War" on CD (until now) and I've never heard "Take It Away" again, I completely forgot the song ever existed. When I read about McCartney or when I listened to other McCartney songs I never thought about "Take It Away".
    Until about 20 minutes ago when I put in a used CD of "Tug Of war" that I had bought a couple of days ago.
    What a blast from the past!
    Okay, it's not the greatest McCartney song but it's quite catchy and I still like it.
    Anybody have a similar story?

ARK likes this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Always.
    Recently it was ....

rockclassics likes this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

"I Never Cry" from Alice Cooper. Totally forgot about it, until I reheard it again.

same with “Cum Hear The Band” by April Wine!

4. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Crazy Circles by Bad Co. Recently i've listened to Desolation Angels again and i've recognized this tune thai I endlessly played when I was 18 Or something. It was on some tape I've completely forgot. I remembered every drums fill, every guitar phrase, Rodgers' harmonies and everything

Endymion likes this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Every few years this song pops up and I always forget what a great tune it is.

Video could do with some work...

JL6161 likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

A song I loved back in the '70s but hadn't heard or thought about in ages, until someone posted this video here last year. Didn't even know it's a Grand Funk tune:

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Not so much "fun" as "I think my whole childhood was a lie", but it does sort of count.

I believe my earliest memory is hearing "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls. My old day care center had a cool "teacher" there (for lack of a better term) who would come in with an acoustic guitar and play songs for us. I don't remember any of them except "Slide" (maybe not the best song to sing to preschoolers, but we barely understood words and it was a catchy song). Growing up I always remembered the song, but never bothered to listen to it again.

Fast forward to last summer (I'm guessing about 15 or 16 years later), I'm working in a warehouse and I hear a song that sounds really familiar. It took me until the chorus to place what it was. I felt all those old memories come back, and then said, "Wait a minute... this song is literally the instrumental of the Replacements' 'Asking Me Lies' but with different lyrics over it!" I had been aware that the Dolls were big 'Mats fans and often copped Westerberg's wacky tunings for their own songs but here, my earliest memory, a carbon copy of a much better song. Well, it was nice to hear it again, and nice to know that I'm not going to be missing anything if I never hear it again, because there's another song that I like more that sounds exactly the same.

Oh, also, it was nice to rediscover "Bell Bottom Blues" after a wordless version of the chorus got stuck in my head for months and I couldn't place it.

Endymion likes this.
  8. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

It is fun. I had forgotten about Jane Wiedlin's song "Rush Hour" until, like, last year.

9. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

No, it reminds me that I'm old and my memory isn't what it was lol

ralph7109 likes this.
  10. John54

John54 Senior Member

Yes, it's always cool to rediscover something. I seem to recall forgetting about Guardian Angel by Mink de Ville for a while ...

11. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I enjoy this. Last year I was the car playing a collection of obscure Illinois power pop -- hadn't really looked at the track list -- and this one song came on. I went:

"Hmm, why does this sound familiar?"
    "Wait, I think I know this song."
    "OHMYGOD, I remember this song! I love this song! It's that song that was all over local radio in 1981, but I could never find a copy back then! It was like my favorite song that summer!"
    "I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT THIS SONG, and now it's back in my life again!"

It made my whole week. The song in question:

Endymion likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This becomes more frequent now, between my age and my ever-growing music collection.

Yesterday it was this song...hadn't heard it in quite a while:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

This is one that I recently rediscovered. :love: It brings me back to early 2003.

Gaslight likes this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I was perusing one of the Spirit threads and it occurred to me that I had probably not heard Jay Ferguson's "Thunder Island" since 1978.

15. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Bringing back an old thread...

Had a recent experience listening to an old 110-minute cassette of songs by The Jam, which I compiled and listened to quite frequently around 1994 and 1995. One song on that tape I had completely forgot is "English Rose," which appeared on their 1978 album All Mod Cons. It starts with sounds of rolling ocean waves, gentle breezes, and an acoustic guitar. I don't think anyone but Paul Weller plays on the track. Hearing its opening line, "No matter where I roam" brought me back to the mid-1990s in a very cool way.

There's some real magic in that song -- its lyrics, Weller's vocal delivery, the ocean waves and winds, not to mention the different ways to interpret its lyrics, all of which seem to make the song more special. It's hard for me to believe that in the midst of all the other great music I've managed to cling to over the years, including many other Jam songs, that "English Rose" was ever forgotten. But it will be forgotten no more :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.