Isn't this censorship? (Bryan Adams ) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starkiller, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was looking to get some info on a Bryan Adams release so went to All Music Guide and his name did not come up at all. Emailed them and here is their response..

"
    Thank you for your inquiry. Due to the request of Mr. Adams, we are no longer permitted to display his information on AllMusic. Thanks for stopping by!
    Best Regards,
    The AllMusic Team"

Umm, didn't know an artist could do that, isn't all the info in public domain?? Please enlighten me as I guess I don't know as much as I thought I did :D

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Wow, that really cuts like a knife.

Drifter, Man at C&A, scobb and 44 others like this.
  3. starkiller

4. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

But it feels so right...

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they must have screwed something up that pissed him off.

melstapler and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  6. Michael

la, la, la, la, la,

7. starkiller

Yeah that might be but how can he block them from posting stuff that is in the public domain?

melstapler likes this.
  8. Michael

email his fanclub.

9. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Wow, you're right, I just spent a while searching by song titles and nada. I have been using that site since the Windows 95 days and that's the first time I've ever heard of an artist doing this.

Those reviews must have been doozies...in a perfect world, perhaps Bryan told them they could only display his info if they gave his stuff better reviews and they told him to take a flying leap.

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that their reviews are copyrighted? I'm clueless how an artist can enforce something like this - it's a review site, for God's sake, with samples of songs and a bio. Why would you not want potential fans to find you?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  10. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Sounds like they were just honoring his request.

deredordica and JimD like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He probably stopped them from reproducing any album covers (which are copyrighted) or quoting from any lyrics. One assumes that maybe AMG quoted some critical reviews that p!ssed him off. Artists are funny that way.

I'd like to see him try that with Wikipedia, which is a lot harder to get things taken down from.

Maybe they got him confused with Ryan Adams, which apparently gets the artists very upset...

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1740

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  12. Michael

if he wasn't happy with Wiki couldn't he just edit it himself?

13. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

So, in a small way, it'll be harder for some people to find out/learn about Bryan Adam's music.

To Adams or whoever is responsible: :shtiphat:

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

From the Wikipedia article:

Adams never comments on his personal life and sets a high value on privacy:

“ I just don't think it's anyone's business. I've always been very private: it suits me. ”
    He can, and any edits he makes would be reverted within minutes by some dedicated fan who monitors the article. Wikipedia policy doesn't allow the subject of the article to edit the article.

I edit and monitor over 100 Wikipedia articles, and have been forced to remind several artists that this is NOT their web site, their fan club or their press pack. It is an encyclopedia. For instance, Wendy Carlos would like the world to forget that she ever achieved world-wide fame as Walter Carlos.

Wikipedia has an unusual culture. Imagine, if you will, a bureaucracy staffed entirely with volunteer bureaucrats. If that phrase doesn't send a chill down your spine, you have no imagination.

Edit to add: I didn't have a particular opinion of Bryan Adams before. I have a much worse one now. He comes across as amazingly thin-skinned.

From the WP article history:

==Dispute With AllMusic==
    +
    In 2012, Adams became the first known major artist to have all of his information - including biography, discography, and album reviews - removed from the AllMusic website (owned by AllRovi, formerly the AllMusic Guide). AllRovi has complied with Adams' request, and information on Adams and his albums cannot be found through AMG's search functionality. AllRovi has fielded inquiries regarding the Adams situation via their forums on GetSatisfaction, where numerous AMG users have voiced their concerns that AllRovi had unnecessarily bowed to pressure from Adams' legal advisors. To date, AllRovi's forum moderators have been unable to provide any insight on the situation beyond a standard one-line response supplied by their own Legal department: "Due to the request of Mr. Adams, we are no longer permitted to display his information on AllMusic."
    +
    +
    Bryan Adams remains the only known artist to prohibit the AllMusic Guide from displaying information about him.

No word on weather or not the AllMusiGuide will be forced to change it's name to the AlmostAllMusicGuide

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

16. Agent57

I notice her bio on Allmusic doesn't mention that at all. Interesting.

Doesn't everyone who knows her name know that already anyway?

17. houston

houston Forum Resident

private, huh? didn't seem like a private guy, when he exposed his buttocks in an insert photo , on that compilation album...

maybe he was just mooning us....

18. Chris DeVoe

One of the many reasons that Wikipedia is better than AMG.

Remember, because you can fix it, you don't get to complain about Wikipedia.

th0m and One Louder like this.
  19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's reckless. What a dick move.

Does he realize that online shops like Barnes & Noble use data from Rovi (parent of Allmusic) for their online shop info? So now when you look for a Bryan Adams album on Barnes & Noble you can see the album, but there is no review info, bio info, or track listing for his albums.

I've got two of his albums. I'm going to have fun altering the cover art to remind myself of this.

sound chaser, somnar and Agent57 like this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Wikipedia makes a horrible source for tagging info when ripping CDs. AMG is a awesome source for tagging info if you use a program like dBpoweramp that can use AMG as a source. Wikipedia is useful for some things, horrible at others. AMG also offers 30 second sound clips for songs. Wikipedia doesn't.

21. Agent57

Great point and apparently not. And I'd prefer it to remain that way.

"Gee, I forgot the name of that song he does, I wonder if it's on here?"
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/so-far-so-good/25101887?ean=731454015721

Epic fail.

22. Chris DeVoe

I've never heard of anyone using AMG in that way, but then it's been years since I've done a lot of CD ripping.

The 30 second clips is probably why AMG rolled over - "fair use" isn't a right, it's a defense. Neither Wikipedia or AMG is in the position to go to court to defend using 30 second clips of music.

23. Chris DeVoe

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Bryan has also yanked youtube clips not on his official "channel". Audience shot clips of his shows are not plentiful.

Anyone other than Van, Dylan, Hendrix estate, Prince and Bryan this picky about youtube videos and their online presence?

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.