Isotek Polaris

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody have one of these? Would like to hear some reviews/opinions.

2. bajaed

3. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I had one when I lived in the UK, along with some of their power cords. Was perfectly happy with that aruff, and the prices are kinda reasonable.

bajaed likes this.
  4. bajaed

Thanks. Very interested in these.

5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I wonder how the Isotek Polaris compares to some of the Furman units

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It seems to be a well-made power strip. Unfortunately, the U.S. version is rated only 10 amp/1100 watt, so it’s of limited used for equipment with heavy draw. I used an IsoTek strip in the UK (in London) for a year. It worked well in that it didn’t create any noise problems and its electrical measurements/specs were exactly as advertised. The outlets seem to be good quality, and stood up to a lot of plugging and unplugging during equipment changes. I can’t recall now (if I actually even noticed in the first place) where it’s manufactured.

7. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

bajaed likes this.
  8. bajaed

Great! Have you used that one Tom?

9. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Yes it is currently in my system, made a positive impact on the sound when I installed it

Optimize likes this.
  10. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

I listened to it at a show. When the IsoTek founder Keith Martin demonstrate just this product. In a hotel with many others on the power line that generated noise on the lines. :blah:

It was a defenitive improvement. But I don't remember if he switched the power strip with or without nicer power cords. :confused:

But I am little disappointed in that there is only one noise filtering that distribute to all of the sockets see the images.:kilroy:

So I believe if you put a noisy thing connected to the powerstrip then that noise/interface will transfer to the next component that is connected in any of the other sockets. :yikes:

But it certainly blocks the noise from the wall TO the powerstrip. If there is any.. :shrug:

But if it constrains any dynamics is impossible for me to say. You must live with it to form any opinion about that.

So in summary: it is rather expensive for a single noise cancellation filter.. but it is of "audio grade". :love:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ingenieur and sushimaster like this.
  11. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

I have one these inbound to run digital gear leaving my Ps Audio Dectet to handle my amps, will post back my findings.

bajaed likes this.
  12. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I was at my dealers a couple weeks ago. He was putting my cartridge on my TT. We demoed listened to the system as he changed power cords so I could hear the difference from stock.

We weren't demoing power strips per se, but his system used the Isotek Sirius and the noise floor was low enough to resolve the difference in power cords.

I am going to be getting a Sirius soon and my house is a challenge. I'll report back if ot works well (or not), but this is all about a month away.

13. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Do indeed! If the Polaris is good I may look at getting the Sirius , Isotek has been under the radar for and time to give them a shot, pretty decent reviews on them.

14. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Well phase one of my Isotek adventure has been interesting. After two days and a few various configurations (different power cable to the Polaris) I'm sending it back as the overall presentation vs that of all on the Dectet wasn't enough to warrant the funds for it, also the noise drop was fairly decent and soundstage indeed spacious as described, however the tonality and overall ease of dynamic scale goes to the Dectet (almost just not there!) Phase two begins tomorrow with the Iso plugs, one one the empty socket of the NRG Edison outlet and the second on the Dectet. Phase three if this turns out to be a good noise drop with no ill effects will be a installing a second Edison(should arrive on Monday) outlet using an Iso plug with my Jc5 direct to the wall. I should note my setup is feed by 10awg Romex with a 20amp breaker . Dectet is fed by a Ps Audio Ac12 powercable with various Perfectwave cables along with a Clarity Cable Vortex on the Jc5.

15. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Well nice surprise , Amazon delivered the Edison outlet a day earlier than expected but funny the Isotek Iso plugs will arrive tomorrow! Oulet installed and the Jc5 is direct to the wall. What's interesting is the noise floor dropped more with it not being fed by the Dectet on a single Edison outlet, this will be interesting once the Iso plugs arrive.

16. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

When you talk about the noise drop are you measuring it or are you listening through your speakers? I had a loaned Sirius, it worked very well for sources I didn't dislike it completely for the amp but it affected the dynamics negatively which is what many people report with this style of boards.

17. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

Listening through the speakers the noise is faint but as the volume rises to say reference volume scale of 0 , its prevalent when standing next to the speaker. This has dropped considerably with the addition of the second oulet with the Jc5 ran direct to it. My previous power setup was a Ps Audio Soloist Premier in-wall conditioner with the Dectet daisy chained off it. I had my Halo A21 direct to the Soloist and was a happy camper till the power companies wire got ant's around the common leg and caused a huge sag that took the Soloist with it. Not willing to plug the A21 back direct to the wall I replaced the outlet with AQ Edison and plugged everything in the Dectet but a tad bit of noise returned. I agree about the Isotek (Polaris in my case) though I didn't dare plug any of my three amps into it ,even when my Marantz 8805 was plugged into it the squashed dynamics was very noticeable, the unit would be great for dac's cd players etc.. but not much beyond that in my case. The Dectet does not squash dynamics in any fashion, nor does it bleach the sound. I've just about got the noise floor to inaudible with my ear direct to the speaker (most would say it's non existent as it is) but after isolating the cable box, cable company out for regrounding etc.. you name it. I just want the most out of my recent upgrades and thus far it's paying off. Hope those Isotek Iso plugs kill the rest but atleast I'll have surge for the Jc5 direct to the wall if it doesn't and I'll just call it a day and enjoy my music.

Uglyversal likes this.
  18. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I attended a demonstration by Isotek of their products at a local dealership. I was impressed with their power strip. The dealer's showroom had dedicated lines running to a dedicated power subpanel and everything is dead quiet. Nonetheless, when the system was plugged into the power strip, the sound improved substantially--more clear sounding, instruments seemed to float more freely in space and notes had a more natural sounding decay. I ended up buying two conditioners (not the power strip), but, I would say that the biggest improvement was going from no Isotek products to utilizing the power strip.

As far as noise was concerned, although nothing was audible with this system, a noise meter showed how the various products reduced noise on the line. The biggest increment of improvement was from use of the power strip. That makes the power strip the best bargain in their lineup.

jonwoody and Audiofan1 like this.
  19. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

I'm sure something like Aquarius or Sigma would suit my setup better but after spending what I spent in 2020 it will have to wait sometime to replenish the audio trust fund. I may try the AQ Niagara 1200 first to see what its all about. I'm betting the farm on the little Iso plugs which should arrive today to see if they will get me to the acceptable level of overall quietness. So close yet so far!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.