It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

As I noted in my post, this movie as best I can tell by researching its genesis was intended to be the stories of three disparate guitar players, the jam where they interacted was not supposed to be the focus just the icing. It was aimed at a general audience, not a guitar players' audience.

Spin Doctor and wavethatflag like this.
  2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Didn’t miss the nice people part but was puzzled as why some artist/band/music can trigger such kind of agressive feelings. It goes beyond my understanding and purpose of what is music entertainment.

3. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

As far as the scope of this conversation goes, IMHO there is no substitute for The Edge. He nailed it and I can't see anyone else doing it justice.

petem1966 likes this.
  4. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Here is the Wiki entry on the director of this film. As you can see, "It Might Get Loud" is not among his premier works cited at the top and is barely mentioned in the text. Again, this guy wasn't directing this at rock guitar music fans or attempting to set up a monster jam representing the history of rock guitar, he probably thought these folks had interesting stories to tell and figured he'd cap it off by letting them interact, nothing more or less.

Davis Guggenheim - Wikipedia

5. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Being bitter about not being able to afford something is no excuse to try to trash a manufacturer.

Spin Doctor and Hardy Melville like this.
  6. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I didn’t have a problem with any of the guitarist choices. Maybe Elliot Easton for The Edge to answer the question posed.

7. Perhaps it plays better this way for a general audience, but I express my disappointment - which is fairly mild, as I did like the film and have it on DVD - as a bit of a guitar geek. :)

Oliver and PRW94 like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think including more of the interaction between the three would've resulted in a guitar player audience though. It's not like we're advocating watching them show each other how they tune their guitars or buff them to a shine and how to pick the best plectrum for the occasion. Besides anything more could've been added as dvd extras leaving the film as is.

As much as this was for a general audience it wasn't targeted to my 17 year old cousin who could care less about guitar but might show up to hear about their back stories either. It definitely had a market in mind and they would not have been turned off by a little more of them hanging out with each other. There was definitely some more entertainment to be had there.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Who said I'm bitter? I just know I wouldn't drop that kind of money on a product with jagged frets. To me, that (amongst many business decisions they've made) seems like a company lazily trading in on its name/legacy.

When your stable of pricey Gibsons gets let out of the basement to gig on a regular basis, just let me know.

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Love the brand, love the look and love the sound. Sure they don't have the consistency of build quality that their price tag should command but if you find a good one then it will be a friend for life. I have a 2003 cherry red 335 and I can't fault it in any way. It has the best neck and fretwork of any of my instruments.

Fender USA are the best bang for the buck and always have been.

overdrivethree likes this.
  11. overdrivethree

If there is a Gibson model I'd say "would like to own someday," it would be a tobacco burst 335 with dot inlays. And yeah, the 335s are the ones where the budget renderings/copies aren't going to be anywhere near a match for the real deal.

But the 2018 "Boogie Van Les Paul" retailing for $5k? Get *outta* here.

12. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

A friend recently bought a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic. It's a lovely thing but almost £3k. That plays like a beaut but you need some serious disposable to collect these things. I have a USA tele, the 335 and a Musicman Axis EVH signature. I've had strats and a Les Paul previously but I can't justify owning too many expensive guitars....although I'd love to! A Gretsch White Falcon Duffy signature (*heck and an Orange Setzer too), Custom Shop Strat, LP, Explorer, Hummingbird...etc are my lottery picks to throw in the collection. :love:

overdrivethree likes this.
  13. overdrivethree

Nice! I would like to own a US Tele someday (the '52 reissue). Right now, I'm just calibrated to find the good guitars that don't cost a ton. I just got a Schecter PT for $500 that is the best guitar I own.

sunking101 likes this.
  14. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

My son had a vintage Les Paul standard in the tobacco sunburst finish. Absolutely beautiful looking and sounding. Had to sell it, still haunts him to this day.

15. overdrivethree

When I was 14, my dad was going to buy an LP Standard off a friend of his if my grades went up. They didn't and never got that guitar. Slight regret to this day, though I'm of the opinion that what 14yo has any business owning a real LP in the first place?

Spruce and sunking101 like this.
  16. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I've been one for 32 years and the Edge is one of the main reasons I started playing. along with Alex Lifeson.

baroquehoedown33 and sunking101 like this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The film is fine as is

petem1966 likes this.
  18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

19. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

You said you were bitter. And you aren’t telling the truth about the custom, either.

20. overdrivethree

How am I not telling the truth? Bc I handled a Gibson that wasn't out of reach on the wall to the mere middle class mortals? I know, it amazed me too. But there you go.

21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

It might get off-topic!

SirMarc, eddiel, HfxBob and 3 others like this.
  22. Yeah, Andy Summers is really about the only other name that comes to mind -- and yet, his time with The Police (and the existence of The Police themselves) is barely 1/4th that of Edge's with U2. I'd argue their relative impact was pretty similar (to U2), though (or fairly close).

Sonically, definitely Andy Summers is every bit as important. But I think they made the right choice going with The Edge, based on his longevity and length of tenure in the public eye.

dkmonroe and petem1966 like this.
  23. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

He looks and sounds like Tom Petty!

24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The movie was fine how it went down. No point in changing what's done.

What is really needed now is a It Might Get Loud II.

Keith Richards.

Earl Slick.

St. Vincent (Annie Clark).

Greenalishi, mick_sh and BadJack like this.
  25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Man without the Edge you lose so much in that movie. He fills the effects driven guitar style perfectly. Johnny Marr was less so effects driven. Edge was perfect for this thing. Jack White, who i love, has an annoying nature about him. So he was perfect to be a foil, to me. Page was super cool. Just to hear him speak about music i loved. Great movie nice mix of personalities and approaches to music. Page and White being different generations but similar in style to me. And Edge too is simple in his playing. All three different but also similar in approach. Not technical musicians. All three more of a feel type player. And all three love the riff. But with their own personalities which are recogniseable in one note. Loose and memorable is how i see all three.

RandelPink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.