'It's About Time We Had A New Album From ______'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NightGoatToCairo, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Donald Fagen with the Nightflyers would be even better.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

According to Gerry Galipault's Pause and Play site, Dido has a new album coming out in 2019. That's great news. Hopefully this could also bring a vinyl re-issue campaign of all her albums, later this year?

3. DirkMcQ

DirkMcQ Forum Resident

The Police, George Harrison (Early Takes Vol 2), Nesmith & Dolenz Tour

dbone828, Holy Diver and Nightfly68 like this.
  4. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Frank Zappa. Another "Road Tapes" (Edinboro '74, please) another in the "Joes's..." series, a Hot Rats Deluxe "mofo" release, The Royce Hall recordings, WakaJawaka/GrandWazoo "mofo" type, something . . . anything . . .

PIGGIES likes this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

[​IMG]

Grace Jones with Sly & Robbie

StormSignal likes this.
  6. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Agreed on Jellyfish.
    Not wasted, just wandering purposefully.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Chris Knight. It's been nearly six years.

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

oops. I should have checked the whole thread before posting. But yes. Exactly. But I guess he must be at the self-releasing, crowd-funding level of survival these days, right?

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

There's no point in them doing this without Ronnie Lane or Mac--it wouldn't be the same band. Rod is so far out of touch with his rocking roots that it would surely be a disappointment.

ralphb and Rufus rag like this.
  10. elee532

elee532 Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel
    Tool
    Porcupine Tree (are they officially disbanded?)

BTW, surprised at the lack of love for PG’s Up in this thread. I listen to it more often than So or Us these days.

GrayMouser likes this.
  11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i think he might be doing some songwriting for other acts? not really sure. i think i had read he got married so maybe raising a family.i just hope we get a new album or two soon! might have to go on a bit of chris knight binge !

12. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Billy Joel
    Stevie Wonder
    Peter Gabriel

HaileyMcComet and Fullbug like this.
  13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Mark Hollis :pineapple:

Nightfly68 likes this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I've been waiting several years for another album from Midnight Juggernauts, but I'm starting to think it's not going to happen.

15. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

There's a few I'm surprised I haven't seen.

First off, for sure I'd say André 3000. He hasn't released a new album since OutKast's Idlewild in 2006. He put out his first original (non-cover, non-guesting) tunes a few weeks ago, and is unpredictable as ever. One can hope maybe he will decide to put out an album soon. Chances of a new album? Semi decent, actually.

Secondly, I gotta say Guns N' Roses. Obviously, no new studio material since Chinese Democracy in 2008 and no new studio albums with Slash and Duff since "The Spaghetti Incident?" in freaking 1993. Now we know Axl has a whole bunch of material from the Chinese Democracy era including titles like "Thyme", "Ides of March" and others. Surely they could put Slash and Duff on the songs that they dig and remove Robin Finck or Buckethead or Bumblefoot along with Tommy Stinson to make way. And of course I have to imagine that there is some material from the 1994 to 1996 era before Slash quit that they could work up? Or perhaps they could act like a normal band and work up new material? Chances of a new album? Very doubtful. Hopefully we get an Illusions deluxe set to go along with the upcoming Appetite set.

Then we have Pete Townshend and/or The Who. Now I personally think Pete and Roger have given us more than enough material in their career. However, they (mostly Pete though) have teased new material since probably at least 2008 or so. An album of old r&b covers with some new Townshend material was mooted. There was also talk of Pete giving Roger demos and Roger not digging them. There's also been talk of something called Floss as either a Townshend project or maybe even incorporated into a Who project. Regardless, outside of archival material all we've gotten from Townshend in the past decade or so is two new solo tunes ("Guantanamo" and "How Can I Help You"), a tune with Nathan Barr ("It Must Be Done") and one new Who song ("Be Lucky"). Now while I think all of these songs were of high quality, surely Pete must want to put out a full album, either solo or with Roger, right? Now unlike some others on here, I don't feel cheated or upset that these proposed projects haven't yet come to fruition. I'm glad Pete and Roger are still out there doing shows and if they wanna put out new music, then cool. If not that's cool too. Chances of a new album? Maybe, but leaning towards doubtful.

....and then bands who are broken up and/or artists who are no longer with us....

Since the King Ad-Rock and Mike D have their Beastie Boys book coming out, one has to wonder if maybe we will get some new, unheard music from them and the dearly departed MCA. Firstly, they apparently did do a bit of recording after they had finished Hot Sauce Committee Part II so really it is possible that there is enough for one final Beasties album. However, who knows if what they recorded was just instrumental or whether there are some unheard Yauch rhymes from 2011 and 2012. Honestly, they'd probably be pretty touching considering his thoughtful, matured but still wacky rhyme skills were going great all through their last album. Him knowing that these would possibly be his last rhymes might have some really nice stuff. And besides "new" material there must be a bit of that didn't make their old albums, like "The Jerry Lewis" from the Paul's Boutique era and likely other stuff. Now surely, it's likely that the more developed vocal centered tracks probably did make it to their albums and that what is left is probably mostly odd experiments. But still Beasties fans obviously like the weird stuff, and if Yauch was okay with it, then Ad-Rock and Mike D should look into putting some new stuff out there.

You also have artists with at least a nice chunk of material waiting to be collected, like Michael Jackson. First off, what should have been done after he passed away was to see if there was enough somewhat finished material to put together an album of the "last works" by him. Whether there was enough material for this to be a viable project is unknown by us, but I suspect that there must have been enough decent material from 2002 through 2009 that they coulda done something better than the 2010 album Michael, which featured some new material like "Hold My Hand" and "Hollywood Tonight" and "Best of Joy" along with remixed outtakes from Thriller ("Behind the Mask"), HIStory ("Much Too Soon") and Invincible ("Another Day)" and, most disturbingly, three tracks sung by a vocal impersonator. Surely they coulda done something better than this and left the album outtakes for era appropriate collections and left the fakes in the trash. Now the 2014 album Xscape was a step in the right direction with unreleased material remixed to "fit in with the times" but also available in the versions that Michael had left them in. Now the idea of putting a hodge-podge of material from different eras all together isn't a favorite of mine, but I was still happy to get that previously unreleased material in a somewhat coherent form.

16. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

The Turtles

We could get the Happy Together line up

Howard Kaylan
    Mark Volman
    Al Nichol
    Jim Pons
    John Barbata
    Jim Tucker

and we could get Chip Douglas to produce and play piano
    also like Turtle Soup and Battle of the Bands, everyone could get a lead vocal in a song

wino14 and Tord like this.
  17. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Echoes71 likes this.
  18. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

JL6161 and Beaker73 like this.
  19. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Well, she released one in 2012. She is also 64 years old now, so may very well be slowing down a bit. She is a wonderful treasure. I just think her very vocal leftist politics have negatively influenced her career and maybe dispersed her audience a bit.

20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

'It's About Time We Had A New Album From ______'

"The Archives of _____"

NO-ONE I like is going to put out anything newly written or recorded that's really great. Possibly a new live album from some. But the archives of many hold the most interest for me, and I think MOST on this board, actually.
    Or if not the most interest,
    the most pleasing and satisfying, anyway. If done right...

21. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

:laugh:

22. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

King Crimson - a new studio LP
    Paul McCartney - a new studio LP
    ENO - a new non-ambient LP (like the first four)
    Roxy Music - a new studio LP reunion
    Peter Gabriel - a new studio LP (back to basics.. like the first solo albums

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Allman Brothers Band
    How about a 1 CD collection of unreleased, unbooted studio outtakes and jams (if such a thing is possible).

ARK likes this.
  24. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Frank Marino

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Jimi Hendrix family estate
    NOT!