Its time for the Black Friday 2013 RSD thread..........

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Marlowe

Marc Marlowe Active Member

I couldn't pull the trigger on this one but wanted to. I am wondering who has heard it and what their take is as well.

MrRom92 likes this.
  2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm spinning the Grateful Dead Family Dog release for the first time.

Side 1 sounds like total $hit. What a waste. The worst pressing this side of the Beatles remasters. Sounds like Rice Krispies.

Side 2 looks and sounds just as bad. I think I'll ****can it and get the CD.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  3. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

^ FWIW, the vinyl on my copy of the Family Dog show was very quiet.

But that's not what I want to post about:
    AGimS, I just cracked open the copy of There Goes Rhymin' Simon I got from Bull Moose and you called it on the money. This new remaster is very smooth, with a much better tonal balance than my original, aggressively bright pressing. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have bought this without your recommendation. :righton:

AGimS likes this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Have played this a couple times. Sounds really good to me. Someone elsewhere on the forum (maybe in the RSD reviews thread?) mentioned a bump that caused ticks on his copy, but I haven't had that problem with mine.

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Went back to Amoeba over the past weekend and picked these up, based on the favorable reviews here, and they do sound great.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I've played mine a few times too and it sounds fine. Where else are you going to get The Floyd and Jerry Garcia tracks on sides three and four.

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Very true. I put my copy in the classifieds here since I couldn't get any consensus on the SQ, but if nobody bites I may just crack it open.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Jukebox owner speaking...

Why can't those involved with the pressings of RSD vinyl 45's, all get it done, CORRECTLY?

Sundazed = They get it, large hole, just as GOD meant it to be in the U.S.

Concord/Fantasy = What the f@#k, small hole, now I have to get this damn thing dinked!

RSD 2.jpg RSD 1.jpg

MrRom92 likes this.
  9. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

How do you get 'em dinked?

10. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

With a dinker, naturally!

MrRom92 likes this.
  11. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Well, for those of us who play these 45s on modern-day turntables -- as opposed to jukeboxes -- the small hole is far preferable.

12. Chris C

My three "modern-day" turntables all came with a 45 rpm spindle, you must have bought one of those fancy audiophile, $1,000 plus dollar turntables, where you get cheated out of a spindle?

13. Chris C

14. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Oh, I have a spindle. Still prefer a standard-size hole. I understand your position as a jukebox owner, but for the vast majority of listeners today, the big 45 hole serves no purpose. It's just a remnant of old (really old) format and hardware wars.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Well this is a perfect reason why new 45s should always be pressed with the punch out UK style centers. Best of both worlds, beyond me why this isn't done more often. I wouldn't press a 7" without it. The jukebox market is pretty decent and I think indie labels would want to market to as many people as possible. Maybe Concord doesn't care.

16. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Despite my avatar, I rarely use 45 rpm adaptors. I have a conical metal one that sits on the turntable.

I have nothing against (ahem) small holes, though. I hate it when UK or other foreign 45s are dinked. They seem incomplete from a collecting standpoint.

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I agree, I feel the same way. I personally shy away from vintage 45's that have had this done. But for someone to take the initiative to do that in this day and age, it's probably a record they like enough to never let leave their jukebox or 45 changer collection haha. So it's not as much of an issue these days I guess.

18. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Alright! Good to hear, my friend! I nailed it didn't I?:cool: Haha.. I guess I have learned a few things from this forum afterall.. ;) Anyway I was so happy they made such a good pressing of one of my favorite records, I now have an extra sealed copy!

19. Is it? I would think that most vinyl jukeboxes are in the hands of rich collectors these days; all of the jukeboxes I've seen in the field over the past decade have been digital.

20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

that's what I meant, I should've clarified... Those rich collectors with 45 jukeboxes and the quirky establishments that do still feature one as a novelty do in fact buy records for them, and for a record to be made incompatible with them is only limiting sales.
    I've actually seen some dinked modern picture discs in a jukebox once! Must've really wanted the song, heh.

21. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Picked up Rush the Garden pic disc. Cool artwork but sounds weak

22. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Has the B side of Miles Jazz Track appeared elsewhere before?

23. Mister Keith

Mister Keith Chillin'

still have not dropped $90 for the Stiff singles box set (although I would love it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.