iTunes Importing and Use of Error Correction

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mwheelerk, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

Do you use error correction when importing into iTunes? I read in an article in HiFi+ magazine where this was recommended. What is the benefit or downside to use of error correction?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, under Prefs -> Advanced -> Importing, always keep the box checked that says "Use Error Correction When Reading Audio CDs."

The trade-off is that this usually slows down the CD ripping by about 1/3 (sometimes more), but I think it's always better to have a more accurate rip than a faster rip. The only downside is having to take more time.

For absolute rock-solid results, bypass iTunes' importing completely and rip the CDs with EAC or dBPowerAmp.Note that both of these tools can be very slow in ripping CDs, particularly if they do multiple passes and compare the results to a known source (like a reference on the Web).

To tell you the truth, I have more trouble dealing with illiterate people who screw up artist names and song titles, when you have to go in and fix those after (or during) a CD rip.

rxcory likes this.
  3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I know I'm gonna get smoked for this, but when importing into iTunes without error correction(I only use it for a CD that is damaged) I can't tell the difference either way, when ripping to Apple Lossless, wav,or AIFF. The only time I use low-speed burning is for creating a CD master.

4. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I know what you mean.

I have heard conflicting results from different sources about how different versions of iTunes are bit transparent while others are not. As I only use iTunes to put things on my iPod, I haven't paid close attention to it.

Are there any good references to tests that have been done on this subject?

5. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

It seems like a wav file is about 2 times the size of Apple lossless. If your using an ipod for playback and trying to achieve the best possible sound quality, is there a file type preference between those two options?

6. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I like Apple Lossless, identical to the source material. It's what I'm using for my music server. If my library wasn't itunes-centric, FLAC would be the way to go. There are some handy tools out there that will convert FLAC to Apple Lossless and vice versa.

7. Toka

Toka Active Member

Agreed...converting a .wav to ALAC, and then back to .wav, is bit-identical. Another bonus is tagging...not supported by .wav.

8. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Tyler/Toka
    Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. :)

9. tps

tps Forum Resident

While I have the occasional disc which rips slowly with EAC secure mode, given a good drive, most rip very quickly. I use EAC under Wine on Ubuntu with a Sony DVD drive, and I usually get 15X to 20X speed for an entire disc, with busrts to 40X while it's ripping, even in secure mode where it reads every sector at least twice.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

I never, ever use it. I also don't notice any errors in my burns. Can someone explain what kind of errors can occur when importing and how you know when they have occured?

11. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I use the error correction when I am importing some CDs I have checked out from my local library. There have been some occasions where a scratched CD that causes the CD to skip, will be fine when it is imported with the error correction. I don't usually use error correction for CDs that I know are not scratched.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Burst errors and glitches, heard as soft "tick-tick-ticks" in the background. It's a particular problem for the last couple of tracks on the CD, which are physically located on the outer edge of the CDs, where errors are often highest.

I think anybody who rips CDs with iTunes and turns the error-correction off is crazy, but that's me. It takes less than one minute longer to keep it on, so I don't see what the big deal is. Who needs to be in this much of a hurry?

BTW, the quality of the drive you use is also very critical. I would advise never to use the thin 9mm-type slot-loading drives found in most laptops, because they're prone to errors and misalignment. I think full-size external CD/DVD-ROM drives are the best way to go, particularly the Plextors. I have a dozen or so Plextor PX-750A's, and those work like gangbusters for me.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

I thought that those errors were caused by burning the CD too quickly?

Well I am crazy, but how I rip my CDs has nothing to do with it. :D Seriously, if it only takes a minute longer (and does not adversely affect overall SQ), I will go now and change my preferences.

I use the one in my girlfriends laptop (Powerbook G4.) I have had very few errors with it over the last few years.

14. mwheelerk

Another Question

I have gone ahead and turned Error Correction on. I have imported all my CDs using Apple Lossless but except for three CDs in the past day all were done without error correction. Looking forward to a music server using iTunes should I re-import my CDs again using Error Correction with Apple Lossless?

15. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I don't bother turning on the Error Correction, 70g of music ripped and not once have I heard the dreaded tick-tick-tick. I keep reading that the iMac drives are no good, but until I hear a rip with bad errors, I'll believe otherwise.

(btw a printed log telling me that its a perfect rip doesn't interest me, I listen with my ears)

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yep big fan of Plextors here. My freinds thought I was crazy buying one of the first SATA versions for £70 a few years ago but its a great drive (712SA).

I hate the way that laptop drives trays vibrate like mad when in use. Not good.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I agree that at at high speeds this is the case, but now that I burn at 8x speed, I no longer notice the vibration.

19. Toka

Toka Active Member

If you don't hear any obvious problems, I wouldn't bother.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, we're talking about importing CDs, not burning CD copies. The subject header up top refers to "iTunes importing."

You mean no errors that you know of. Sometimes these errors might be very subtle, and you might not hear any major glitches unless you listen very carefully, preferably with headphones.

The bit-for-bit CD copying programs like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and SecureRip in dBPowerAmp are best to make sure you're getting everything on the disc. My opinion is that the thin CD/DVD-ROM drives included with all portable computers are intended for light duty at best. These drives don't hold up well over time, and given that this computer is about five years old now, I would strongly suggest that you use a decent external DVD drive for ripping instead, preferably a name-brand like Plextor, which will cost you under fifty bucks.

21. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Had to pop this topic back up again.

I have noticed this problem with the last tracks of an album, albeit its not very common. Seems like iTunes asks if you want auto-correct every time you import now ... which is nice. I usually leave it off, but if I notice the import speed drops from 15x to 6x then I playback the song to check for the error. Interestingly, I didn't know it fixed skips ... I'll have to get my skipping discs and give it a shot.

22. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I'm still having a problem with a CD that continues to skip on the last track despite error correction (this CD isn't scratch). I even tried the Lossless transfer and still got it to skip ... *frustration*

Could importing it on another computer actually work? I doubt it but it's my only guess.

23. mwheelerk

Wow, here it is 4+ years since I first began ripping my collection and it was December of 2008 that I got my first DAC and using an Apple TV began listening to computer based audio. Time flies when you are having fun and I have truly enjoyed this.

If you have a disc that won't rip and they do not appear scratched then you might inspect them closely for pin holes. I had two occurrences in about 2000 that the CD would not rip and in both cases I discovered pin holes throughout the problem area of the surface.

I have moved on to using XLD as my ripping software (Mac only) which compares rips against a database for accuracy and provides a report for each rip.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Great! Glad to hear you converted to AccurateRip. I swear, dealing with my 2004 nightmare of ripping 500 CDs with iTunes was an awful, awful thing to recover from. At least the next 5000 CDs I did -- all ripped with DBP -- were fine. In rare cases where I encountered one bad track, I did resort to burst (non-secure) ripping, and just checked the file manually and determined there were a couple of clicks in there. So far, this has never happened with a one-of-a-kind track I don't already have on another CD, but crap happens.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ditto...was coming here to post the same thing.....I only use as needed and with it unchecked my results have been favorable.

JQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.