I've been advised to get a micro-line stylus, what options do I have?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SibilanceSegs, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Audio Technica LP 120 TT, with a AT95e Cart, was looking to upgrade to a Micro-line sylus. Initially I was considering the AT440mlb, but I was wondering what my other options were. Budget is between $300-500 (Canadian) range.

2. resonated

resonated Forum Resident

Ortofon 2M Bronze. Can be had for about $300 USD on eBay.

3. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Probably the cheapest option is to buy a Shibata replacement stylus for your AT95e cartridge. "Micro Line" is just Shure's way of talking about a Shibata cut stylus.

Edit: Sorry, I googled some more and got confused about different cuts and brand names. However Shibata would be an upgrade. Maybe some of the more experienced here will chime in.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Who advised you of that and why? What makes you believe you need an upgrade? What are you hoping to achieve in terms of sound and performance that you've decided you are currently lacking? I'd rather find out where you're coming from than spout off my favorite addition to the list of suggestions.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

This:edthumbs:

Paul K and The Seeker like this.
  7. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

You've been advised well.

I can't go back to regular elliptical anymore. The IGD would be a huge step backwards. Ever since I got my AT440mlb, my whole album collection (including the worst pressings) sounds outta this world. The details it retrieves is jaw dropping and...did I say no more IGD?

Yes, I could spend a lot more for a similar stylus cut, but why? I got mine on Amazon for $153. I may try the AT150sa in the future as an upgrade, but as of today I'm really loving the MicroLine.

As I've posted somewhere, it is a beauty to behold under a microscope or loupe.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  8. SibilanceSegs

Another thread on this forum, it's a closed thread so I am unable to quote it but it was talking about the 30th Anni of DSOTM, I am having sibilance on that record and was reading that "because the way records are made today" that a micro-line stylus would help fix the problem. Metallica's "Master of Puppets" (actually most of Metallica's reissues) sound horrible as well. Most of my vinyl fine, but I figure an upgrade wouldn't hurt. Not looking to get a high end sound, just something slightly better than what I have.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  9. The Seeker

IGD, which most likely was the result of poor or improper setup, bad software, or faulty hardware. IGD shouldn't be as much of a problem as people seem to believe it is. In fact, it's not....in my experience, anyway.

Using your mass market Pioneer DJ turntable, you can hardly expect quality control or performance of the tonearm to be consistent. Eventually you find a cartridge that tracks so well and is so fundamentally forgiving, it masks the shortcomings in your equipment. This doesn't necessarily mean that the OP needs a new stylus.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2016
  10. Licorice pizza

I set up my previous carts up properly. The AT440mlb was set up improperly and it sounds amazing. I wouldn't trade it for my previous ones. Ymmv?

I don't think IGD is exaggerated. Your ears are the best judge.

11. The Pinhead

I read so many posts complaining about IGD......and I have yet to experience it ! With a late 70s Pioneer TT and an M44 cart like mine I get perfect tracking. Can't hear anything nearly anomalous on the inner grooves of my records. I'm either deaf, dumb, or incredibly lucky !!

Paul K, Manimal, The FRiNgE and 2 others like this.
  12. The Seeker

Understood. It's certainly possible that poor quality vinyl is the culprit. Sometimes, also, sibilance is on the recording...a studio artifact...or is actually distortion from the amplifier or speakers or it's just a worn record (this is very, very common). Thus said, see my previous comment about turntable quality. I've worked on turntables just like yours before....same model. Two of them, in fact, brand new...in the box when I received them. In terms of sound and quality, they were horrifying and both tonearms were junk/defective. Could not get them to track properly. Also, cheap direct drives are going to be more prone to sibilance or distortion in the high frequencies due to poor isolation and motor coupling with the platter. My recommendation is that you, first and foremost, replace your turntable. If you are unable or unwilling to do this, then I would suggest taking a step backward and purchasing a conical stylus for your AT95E. At least then you won't be destroying your vinyl. Additionally or as a possible alternative, you could trick out your turntable as follows: a) proper setup by someone who absolutely knows what they are doing. b) Sorbothane mat for isolation. c) Inexpensive wood headshell for resonance control and optimization.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. The Seeker

I doubt it. It's EXTREMELY difficult to set up anything other than a conical stylus properly. If we're talking about tossing a Geo-Disc on the platter and going for it with the naked eye, no way. Please describe (only if you feel like it) how you set up, test, and align your cartridges. I am curious to know. And by the way, I'm not meaning to insult you personally. The point I am trying to make is that I believe, in general, that the fine art of cartridge alignment is grossly misunderstood and poorly executed by the majority of people who attempt this task.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2016
    The Pinhead likes this.
  14. Licorice pizza

You'll love the Microline AT440mlb. And you won't pay $300 Canadian dollars. :)

15. Licorice pizza

So what type of music do you listen to? Any particular favorites you can recommend?

16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

30th could simply come down a poor pressing, Metallica most likely down to poor mastering
    If you enjoy the AT sig the 440 may be the way to go, as stated above the micro line does do a good job on damaged lp's
    A few AT carts are interchangeable also, my 150MLX is mated on a 120E, the issues I've had with most of my cartridges have been due to lp damage or user (me) set up 'doh's' :laugh:

17. The Pinhead

I agree. My cart was aligned by eye by my boss (audio tech and soundman) who sold me my TT, my cart, and an amp, among several other things) . It took a lot of atime and swearing but the final result was ACE. Guess you don't want a disgruntled employee working for you:D

18. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

That is a very nice combination. If I were in your shoes I would consider a replacement stylus before I swap out the whole cart. There are many options.

I share Licorice Pizza's enthusiasm for the Audio Technica AT-440ML line. I completely adore my 440MLa. However, it's finicky. Some pressings it sounds horrendously bad. Microline styli have a reputation for causing serious damage to Styrene 45rpm singles. For that reason, if you get a microline equipped cart like a 440MLb I'd keep what you have and get a new headshell with the new cart so you can easily swap out for any reason.

If you replace only the stylus on your AT95e you should also keep the old stylus so you can swap out.

My experience was U2's "No Line On The Horizon". The song "Moment Of Surrender" (incredible song - one of my favorites by U2) is a sibilance nightmare. My Denon DP-7f/AT331EP was just barfing on it. I took it to a high end record shop and heard the album on much more expensive gear, and even on expensive equipment the song was a serious challenge for tracking. That inspired my quest that ended with my Realistic LAB-440 / Audio Technica 440MLa combo. The AT440MLa plays that song fairly cleanly.

19. Licorice pizza

That is great to hear, Phil. I thought I was/wasn't hearing things (no pun intended)when I first got this cart. Was hearing only the good and wasn't hearing any of the bad. I have no scientific thesis or magical, theoretical explanation. I'm just enjoying the music.:agree:

Heckto35 and PhilBiker like this.
  20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

To the OP - how old is your current stylus and when were the cart and arm last adjusted?
    Btw, a dirty stylus will make a lot of surface noise on some pressings - but not on all!

Save yourself some frustration and take your table to a good dealer. All you may need is just a new stylus and a good checkup. Recalibrating truly correctly can make a fine cart really sing beyond what you thought it could. But as a poster said above, this can be a bear. And line contact styli are the most crucial for proper setup. Get it wrong and your records wont tell you until it's too late...

21. SibilanceSegs

I was planning on purchasing a new AT headshell for the replacement cart (if I go with an AT cart) and keep the 95e. for old/used records. One thing I have discovered from getting into vinyl that I really enjoy making HiRes copies for when I can't be a home. The AT95e does an excellent job with that, so I figure i should only get better with an upgrade.

Thanks to all for their input, will be a few months before I will have the money so I will be doing extensive research in the mean time.

Licorice pizza, PhilBiker and c-eling like this.
  22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Wouldnt a micro-line stylus be telling you pretty much straight away its far from happy if its not aligned correctly?

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I wonder what's up with these Vessel cartridges.

24. SibilanceSegs

Out of the 60 or so records that I possess only 5 of them show signs of abnormality.

IGD ISSUES
    T-Rex - Electric Warrior
    Metallica - Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning skip like mad and have zero life (funny enough Kill em All reissue is perfect)

SIBILANCE ISSUES
    30th Anniversary DSOFTM
    Supertramp - EITQM (but to be fair the copy I own is used and shows signs of wear but for $5.00)

Everything else plays great.

25. The Seeker

SibilanceSegs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.