I've Got 5 Copies of DSOTM...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KBanya, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KBanya

KBanya Active Member Thread Starter

I'm sure there are many of us out there that have a few of these as well.

1. Harvest (made in Japan) US first edition release of this title (?) I think.
    2. Japanese Mini-LP sleeve version
    3. Shine On box version
    4. MFSL
    5. Anniversary Box set

My question is...which one do YOU think sounds best. Over the weekend, I played the early US pressing. I had to dust the thing off, but was surprised at how well it still sounds. Overall, I still think the Anniv. Box still sounds best.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The MOFI and the anniversary CD are two different animals. The anniversary has been compressed which brings up more subtle details in the mix. The MOFI (I have the UD 1) is lighter and more 3-D sounding. I don't know which one I like better. I find myself reaching for the MOFI more often though. The 20th anniversary, for me at least, is more for car listening.

I also have the vinyl but my turntable is coming Thursday so I've never heard it.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Mofi vinyl is best! Then the Mofi UD1. Then the UD2.

I was never really impressed with the 20th anniversary issue. But that's just me, I guess. Or - really - how it sounds on my system!

4. KBanya

I don't have the Mofi Vinyl...Just the standard Harvest issue...but I've still got a sealed copy too :)

What is the difference between ud1 AND ud2...I kinda thought MFSL was MFSL...Ya know. Anyway, I'll have to see which one I have...I really can't remember.

5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Im sure someone here must have the UHQR vinyl. I have the mofi vinyl which I havent been able to hear in years, I have to get a turntable again. Does anyone know about the very first US made cds actually having the quad mix on them?

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What about the quad mix played back on 2 ch.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh, lets not start THAT debate again! ;)

KBanya, there are threads and threads and threads on this subject - how, why, specualtion, denials, null tests, listening tests, you name it, we got it! :eek: No one will ever know why there is a difference..... !

Sure, all MFSLs should be the same. But some were pressed in Japan (UD1) and some in the USA (UD2). Some people claim that the UD1's are generally better than the UD2's for some reason. For DSOTM, there is a big difference (UD1 is better than the UD2) on my system.

That's all I can attest to! :)

Gary

8. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Another vote for the Vinyl MoFi. That version makes the UD1 sound flat by comparison. Much more range and fullness in the Vinyl, and I'm not even talking UHQR.

9. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Whoops...double post :o

10. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Only FIVE copies of DSOTM eh KBanya? ;)

Let me see now, for starters I've got these on vinyl:

1. UK 1973 original reissue
    2. MFSL 1979 reissue (although I think mine is a 2nd press c.1981)
    3. UK 1997 reissue in '97 Collection box set
    4. UK 1997 EMI Centenary reissue

On CD I have:

1. Japanese 2001 Mini-LP sleeve version
    2. UK 1992 Shine On box version
    3. MFSL 1988 version (UDII, so probably 1992/93)
    4. 1993 20th anniversary Box set
    (this will be 5 when the 30th anniversary hybrid SACD comes out in March!)

On vinyl my fave is the MoFi (the original UK comes a close 2nd), on CD it's also the MoFi and to my ears the UDII disc sounds great to my ears. Then again I don't have a UDI to compare it too...but I prefer the MoFi vinyl overall.

Kipper

11. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

There's a UD2 DSOTM sitting in a used store near here for $45 if anyone wants me to pick it up for them. Looked like it was in fine shape.

I myself have the box version, a quad copy, UD1 & UD2. I prefer the UD1 anyday! Guess I'll have to add yet another copy when the SACD appears.

12. KBanya

Wow...I think I need to see if mine is UD1 or UD2...I seem to think it is UD2...What kind of wallet pounding do the UD1's go for?

13. Matt

Matt New Member

The UDI. Perfect to listen to when it's all quiet, dark, and you're able to crank it up without disturbing anyone.

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Sure we will.
    We do!
    With the UDII came a detailed description, of what processes deferred with the 'new & improved' sound of the UDII over the UDI.
    Done deal.

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

O, & I had 7 copies on vinyl.
    1. Original US.
    2. British pressing. [It was 'interesting' to see the different 'shades' of color on the extra's that came with the US & UK albums]
    3.German pressing.
    4. Japanese pressing.
    5. White vinyl.
    6. Picture Disc.
    7. MFSL.
    In order of purchase.

16. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

My favorite is the original UK Harvest LP...the issue with the solid blue pyramid on the label. I think it's a tad more transparent than the original MFSL issue with the non-slanted "ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING" printing on the cover. I've got an original US Harvest issue that sounds quite nice, too...as well as a Japanese EMS pressing. They're all good, but the UK original sounds best to my ears.

17. reidc

reidc Senior Member

OK- I have 3 vinyl copies: 1 sealed MFSL, 1 open MFSL, and a Japanese Pro-Use series.

On CeeDee- I have the 20th Anniversary box, a Harvest label from Japan, an MFSL Ud1, and a 2001 Japanese issue in mini-lp sleeve.

I feel the PRo-Use and MFSL vinyl sound very similar. The vinyl might get played once or twice a year. For everyday listen while doing things type- or in the car- I normally play my backup of the UD1 MFSL.

Chris

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have waaay more than I need.

1. Original American
    2. Original UK
    3. Japanese Pro Use
    4. MFSL (2, sealed and opened)
    5. UK Quad
    6. Original Mexican
    7. White Vinyl
    8. EMI Century Collection
    9. EMI Reissue (Digital Mastering)

CD's
    1. Original Black Label Japanese
    2. UDI
    3. Japanese Mini LP
    4. 20th Anniversay Box
    5. DTS copy

And I recently sold the UHQR
    But I still waiting for the DVD-A or SACD this year.

19. I only own four copies of the Pink Floyd album in question.

LP
    1. Original Canadian on Harvest.
    2. German quadrophonic on Harvest.
    2. Japanese, from mid the 1970s on brown red EMI with booklet.

CD
    1. UK CD remastered circa 1995 with extended booklet.

I rarely listen to any of them. I heard the album too much when I worked in radio in the '70s and '80s. Also in the old days, every ma and pa stereo store played "Time" when they were selling a stereo system.
    "Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day..." If I hear those clocks one more time......aaaaahhhhh. :laugh:

20. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I have:

-Mo-Fi LP
    -UK Harvest LP
    -German Harvest LP\-
    -Canadian Harvest LP (3 mint copies)
    -20th anniversary CD

Canadian and UK LP's sound great. MO-FI LP boosts the low bass and upper treble, as they did on most of their early LP releases.

Does anyone recall the late 80's pre-recorded Canadian cassette version? I remember some of the tunes were mixed differently. For example, on "On The Run", the echo on the "here, today, gone tomorrow..next week" part seemed to be absent. Wish I still had it.

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

If memory serves, the Works comp on CD had a different mix of Eclipse. Maybe a fold down of the quad mix?? Anyone know for sure?

Chris

22. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Original UK DSOTM to me sounded quite natural and has lot more depth then even my MFSL UHQR.

Mike

23. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Is that last one a legitimate release?

24. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I only own 2 copies of DSOTM..

MOFI-Vinyl
    MOFI-CD

How do I tell if they are UD1 or UD2? :)

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

No but it is pretty good.:shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.