Janis Joplin-A forgotten legend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member

You’re missing a key part: he grabbed her by the neck, slammed her down to his crotch, and received a bottle to the head. In addition, she then ran out of the room crying.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Actually, I got the name of the song I heard in the movie wrong. I meant Me and Bobby McGee. But I like Mercedes Benz, too.

Black Magic Woman and Rufus rag like this.
  3. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Roy Orbison ,Blind Lemon Jefferson ,
    Waylon , Doug Sahm , Jimmie Vaughan ZZTop etc...the list just goes on and on

4. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Beyoncé... :D

samthesham likes this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

There are many US artists of the 1960s posted about in this forum who I consider to be either largely forgotten, or were obscure in the first place.

Janis is not one of them, and I'm slightly taken aback at anyone even suggesting she might be a "forgotten artist". In this country hardly anyone knows anything about the Grateful Dead, but almost anybody would know who Janis Joplin was, even if they were not a fan of her style. If nothing else, they would have heard "Piece of My Heart" and "Me and Bobby McGee".

6. samthesham

The difference between the 2 is Roky was a banshee wail from hell on the loose....

Ericksons delivery is not sexual or orgasimic and those traits are overwhelmingly distinct in JJ & Plant...

While J is the voice of a little girls intense pain with her life projected out from heart and soul...

The only way she knew how to exercise all those demons...

Every performance in the studio & live must have been extremely cathartic for her...

Not unlike Lennon's Primal Scream sessions

DTK and Black Magic Woman like this.
  7. samthesham

Hahaha

Yep she's a Houston girl & easy on the eyes

8. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn’t know about that part. If indeed true, the bottle to the head was well deserved. In some ways, he got off light.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

anyone have the little girl blue soundtrack?

10. Black Magic Woman

It has a good live version of Piece of my heart! Maybe the best - ever

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

you have the soundtrack then?

12. Black Magic Woman

I was reading this thread again and I came across this: which, IMO, is totally wrong.
    Dying her hair orange in the fifties, getting tattoos, being as sexually open as she was, writing a feminist song before the movement began in the 70s, creator of the modern boho-chic look... she was at least 50 years ahead of her time, not like jimi hendrix...he screams “SIXTIES!!” all the way.

13. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

I have it it's good but not my go to. The best compilation CD in my opinion is Essential Janis Joplin, it's 2 CD's 15 songs on each CD and the quality is excellent. Not to be confused with 18 Essential Janis Joplin songs which is very good too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

If she seems to be somewhat forgotten, it's probably because her recorded legacy is pretty small -- two albums with Big Brother, one solo album that came out about the same time she died, and a smattering of comps and live material later. She didn't have a chance to build an extensive career or develop her style much, although there was some development on Pearl. She looms large for an artist with such a limited output, both in quantity and style.

15. Matthew Tate

I got the info I was looking for. turns out I have everything on the soundtrack but the unreleased "piece of my heart", was hoping some of the live tracks were already released but more rare

16. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I think you’ll find the feminist movement began long before the 1970s. :doh:

Hardy Melville and Man at C&A like this.
  17. Jandek and the Butthole Surfers...

18. James F. Hassan

Four albums two with BBHC, Self titled & Cheap Thrills and two solo Kosmic Blues and Pearl.

19. Black Magic Woman

Yeah of course, but it wasn’t even called feminism then! It wasn’t as strong as in the seventies.

20. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Not by me. She is the best white blues singer of all time and will probably always remain so.

21. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Yes. Cheap Thrills is my favorite, and I rate it quite highly. But as you say the catalogue is limited for the obvious reason.

22. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Is anyone here able to point me to a good website or other resource that details all the available and/or surviving recordings by Janis - both studio and concert recordings ? I've had a nose around but I'm not finding any sites that go into much detail especially concerning concert tapes. There are certainly a huge number of live performances in circulation both official and unofficial but not much in the way of an "audio guide". Best I found so far seems to be this one but it hasn't been updated in many years - Janis Joplin Sessions
    thanks

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, Johnny Winter was drunk, and puked on Janis Joplin. Would have loved to seen that... :laugh:

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. Not me. Just sayin’. :unhunh:

25. James F. Hassan

Just go on Amazon they have just about everything you will want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.