Janis Joplin-A forgotten legend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I have all her official stuff (I think) and dozens of hours of concert tapes and would be interested to know what else survives and what the current surviving catalogue of tapes looks like. I'm particularly interested in any tapes of shows from 66 and 67 at places like Avalon Ballroom, Matrix etc but it would be useful to know if I have everything that's around already or if I need to be more diligent ! So Amazon no good plus it puts local record shops out of business so I tend to use it as a last resort if possible. Plus it doesn't do discographies or sessionographies !
    For example, is there a circulating version of Codine which doesn't have that ****-awful band overdubbed and was it really an audition tape for Big Brother ?

2. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

I can't tell you off hand what I have I'm in my office right now but I have quite a bit and Codine is not on anything that I own. Plus I think Codine is early not with BBHC but I could be wrong. When I get home I will post up what I have.

ash1 likes this.
  3. James F. Hassan

O.K Ash1 here is what I have off the top of my head.

Box of Pearls (you must get it if you don't have it)= 2 BBHC self titled and Cheap Thrills and 2 Janis solo Kosmic Blues and Pearl and one cd called Rare Pearls
    Janis Joplin Greatest Hits
    The Essential JJ= This is one of my favorites recorded well and 2 cd's 15 songs per cd
    18 Essential JJ= also very good
    Live at Winterland 68= again excellent
    Joplin in concert
    Woodstock live
    Very best of JJ
    Janis Little Girl Blue
    BBHC live at the Carousell Ballroom 68

That's off the top of my head I think I have other recordings too. Now remember you will be repeating material that you already have but I didn't care I wanted to have it in my JJ collection.

4. As many others have said, Janis will never be forgotten in my home. I do think some of the current female pop artists like Pink and Lady Gaga have mentioned Janis as an influence, so hopefully some of their fans will pick up on that and check Janis out. I think she will be "rediscovered" by younger artists in the future. I do not have my finger anywhere near the pulse of current American music culture, so I have no idea how well Janis is regarded these days... I just know I will always love her. :)

5. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yep, Lady Gaga called her “a real artist”. Pink is heavily influenced by Janis. Current artists like Rita Ora, Halsey, Adele, Lion Babe, James Bay, Florence Welch, LDR have also named her as an influence.

6. Black Magic Woman

I don’t think the “naked” version of Codine is on any of the released albums, neither on the internet. It was briefly on Spofity, but it was taken down.
    I really like the early Janis, I wish I could listen to a decent mix of those recordings.
    *Edit: they are from a 1965 audition for Elektra Records (I’m not sure).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Curious Breeze likes this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Much like Janis herself, most people are hot on her music and then burn out. What's there is great but it's not deep or wide.

8. Black Magic Woman

I listen to her daily and I don’t think her music is superficial, quite the opposite IMO.

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I didn't say superficial, not in the least. I think most of it is intense, she had a "blow out your voice" style more than anything else. Had she lived long enough to write more songs and develop a deeper catalog perhaps she would have explore my styles of singing. It wasn't until she was in the studio on her last album that she started working with a producer that helper her to sing in a more controlled and less destructive way. In her own words she predicted that she would blow out her voice in a couple years and run a bar.

10. Black Magic Woman

Ok, my bad, I think there are ”deep” lyrics in her music, or maybe it’s Janis’ performance of these songs that make them deep. As for her songwriting, I don’t care to be honest, I mean, she had potential, sadly she couldn’t develop it, but Aretha Franklin’s hits weren’t written by her either, so I don’t think it is a reason to “discredit”* Janis. Hey, Jim Morrison wrote plenty of songs, yet some of them are very stupid and senseless, while the few songs Joplin wrote actually made sense...
    To me, her discography is very much like Amy Winehouse’s. Kozmic Blues being her Frank, and Pearl being Back to Black. It’s not enough, but they are timeless and classic albums, so I think it’s just fine.
    (The big brother era, with the exception of Piece Of My Heart & Summertime, is for die hard fans, so I don’t count it).
    But I agree, Paul Rothchild was bringing out the best of Janis, mainly because he was a producer who actually liked - and understood- her.

DTK likes this.
  11. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Around here she is never played on the so-called Classic Rock stations. In fact women are rarely represented in any way, aside from Heart.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Black Magic Woman

All I hear on the radio -I hardly ever listen to it- is Dua Lipa or Ed Sheeran lol. As for Classic Rock stations, Bon Jovi or Guns n Roses.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. James F. Hassan

Same here in Boston sad but true. I will hear Quiet Riot for the zillionth time and say they couldn't play a Janis tune? It's the way it is that's why I come here and chat with like minded folks. IF I want to here JJ I put some on and the heck with classic rock stations they are dinosaurs anyway.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

who?

Just joking, don't hate!

15. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Well, New York rock radio (107.1) was playing cuts from Pearl yesterday as I was driving over there on the other side of the Pond - made a nice break from the commercials....(and American Girl by Tom Petty this morning, nice stuff).

James F. Hassan likes this.
  16. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The first time my kids heard her voice when I was spinning some Janis, they couldn't believe her voice, but they're starting to dig her now. She was one of a kind and awesome. This thread makes me want to go put some Janis on right now, in fact...!

17. Black Magic Woman

I’ve been listening to Pearl all week! I had not heard Cry Baby in a long time, but I did it and it reminded me it is one of the best songs Janis ever recorded.

18. Jax Scopitone

Jax Scopitone Active Member

I'll leave this here;

19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

caterwauling but might move a few products

20. James F. Hassan

I don't agree with the premise... but that was funny.

21. Black Magic Woman

I don’t agree but I laughed! That was funny. And it applies to a number of male performers too! :hide:

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Great shot.

Black Magic Woman and acetboy like this.
  24. Black Magic Woman

So we are posting pictures of Janis now? I like this one and love her outfit as well. [​IMG]

keyse1, DrBeatle and James F. Hassan like this.
  25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

Disc: 1
    1. Combination of The Two
    2. I Need a Man to Love
    3. Summertime
    4. Piece of My Heart
    5. Harry
    6. Turtle Blues
    7. Oh, Sweet Mary
    8. Ball and Chain
    9. Roadblock
    10. Catch Me Daddy
    11. It's a Deal
    12. Easy Once You Know How
    13. How Many Times Blues Jam
    14. Farewell Song

Disc: 2
    1. Flower In the Sun
    2. Oh Sweet Mary
    3. Summertime
    4. Piece of My Heart - Big Brother & The Holding Company
    5. Catch Me Daddy
    6. Catch Me Daddy
    7. I Need a Man to Love
    8. Harry
    9. Farewell Song
    10. Misery'n
    11. Misery'n
    12. Magic of Love
    13. Turtle Blues
    14. Turtle Blues
    15. Piece of My Heart
    16. Farewell Song

Editorial Reviews
    Sex, Dope and Cheap Thrills takes listeners into the sessions of Big Brother and The Holding Company's landmark second album Cheap Thrills - the album that introduced the world to the raw power of vocalist Janis Joplin. This 2CD set features 30 alternate takes (25 of which are previously unreleased) of unforgettable songs from Cheap Thrills, including "Piece Of My Heart," "Summertime," "Ball and Chain" and "Catch Me Daddy." Liner notes by Big Brother drummer Dave Getz and Jefferson Airplane vocalist Grace Slick set the scene as one of the decade's most powerful rock and roll singers put forth a document that would inspire generations to come.

This title will be released on November 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.