January Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MagicAlex, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

Just wondering what all you jazz afficionados have been listening to this month.

I'm currently running through Art Pepper's THE COMPLETE VILLAGE VANGUARD SESSIONS (9 CDs) on Contemporary. What a date! I am currently on disc 7 and I must say that...man...I wish I could have been there! Art Pepper never lets me down.

The band consist of George Cables on piano, George Mraz; bass and the magnificient Elvin Jones behind the kit. Cables and Jones had played sessions with Art before but this was Mraz's first outing with the band and he took the gig with less than 24 hours notice because the regular bass player's mother became ill. a lot of the material was written for the gig and it was Mraz's first time to see the music. He did a great job, nonetheless, improvising and playing like it was old hat.

With this being a "complete sessions" set I found it very interesting to hear the band on the first set of the weekend and how they gradually became tighter on the songs as the sets progressed.

Anyone else heard these CDs before? :)

Anyone heard any new material that they recommend?

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Alex,

I haven't heard them

Tonight let's see:

McCoy Tyner- Prelude and Sonata (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) 1995 :thumbsup:
    Nat King Cole Sings/George Shearing Plays
    John Coltrane- Lush Life:)

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not *new* exactly(though not an old release), but Miles' IN A SILENT WAY 5.1 SACD has gotten a lot of play around here the last few weeks. An impressive mix that works hard to stay faithful to the original stereo imaging while expanding the band outward to fill the soundstage; nicely done. Miles is up front, of course, but, as usual, in every speaker one way or another. Miles was nothing if not a genuine, inescapable presence.
    Interesting thing: a few times during the performance I'd swear somebody dropped something in the studio; not sure what, but you can hear something that almost sounds like a glass or car keys hitting the studio floor(or whatever; maybe Tony Williams dropped a drumstick or cowbell). I thought I was hearing things, but no, there is some extraneous noise here and there that has nothing to do with tape noise. And yes, there's just enough hiss to suggest processing and NR was kept to a minimum, which seems to be typical of the Sony boxes in general.

Another interesting aspect of the 5.1 mix is that, while the edits are still a tad jarring, I wouldn't say as much so as with the stereo mix. A listener's tendency to be enveloped by all the musicians seems to make the transitions less obvious. Overall, fine job, and I can only hope BITCHES BREW is next. We've got three Miles multis so far, the tapes are all there waiting for remixing. A shame there don't seem to be any Trane multis kicking around; what a thrill that would be.

ED:cool:

4. MagicAlex

Have you listened to any previous releases for this noise or is it only recently audible with DSD?

What title is MC besides SILENT WAY & KIND OF BLUE? I have a few other stereo Miles SACDs but no other multi's.

5. Ed Bishop

I haven't checked other versions of IASW yet; will have to do so, because these noises really stand out, and I'm going to have to listen further to the 5.1 mix and figure out what they are. And go to the SACD and box for the stereo version to see how obvious it is there.

The other multi is the DVD-A of TUTU. No big deal--far from his finest work, to be kind--but, although the sound's a bit dry, fidelity is fine and the mix as good as can be expected. It certainly made listening easier for me, though it's still fairly mediocre by Miles standards.

6. MagicAlex

Do you have the COMPLETE SILENT WAY box released last year?

7. Ed Bishop

Yes, and I think that will be my first stop. Gonna have to read those notes and see if they remixed everything, or left some stuff as the original mixdowns were done. Another afternoon shot to hell...:p , but worthwhile...

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Man, I've been waiting for someone to tell me if this set was worthwile. Four Generations of Miles is great! Also the New Rob McConnell Tenet CD, though I can't remember the title offhand!
    It's that over 50 memory!:sigh:

9. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I'm still listening to my new 45 albums of "Relaxin'" by Miles Davis and "Waltz for Debby" by Bill Evans. Gorgeous sound, of course:D

I find I enjoy the Bill Evans better if I crank it a little higher than I normally would listen to it...try setting the volume level by listening to the drums.

Of course, you now hear all the stuff going on in the village vanguard that night...adds a little "you are there" to the experience.

10. Ronflugelguy

Nice. Four Generations of Miles, has that boxy small club feel to it, like you are right in the room!!!!!!!!!

11. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

Amen to that! I would love to hear a 5.1 mix of 'Spanish Key'.

12. Ed Bishop

Just finished listening to the 5.1 IN A SILENT WAY again. Those strange, mysterious sounds turn up at 4:28-29 and 16:30-31 of "Shhh/Peaceful"; they're also heard--clearly if not as blatantly--in stereo. I took my burn of IASW from that box and played that back, too. Since I don't expect anything different with the SACD stereo layer, the Columbia 360 vinyl's next. Haven't read over the IASW box notes yet; serve me right if they mention what it is I hear and I spaced it...

13. MagicAlex

Blue Note RVGs Due Out Next Week 1/28

I see where Blue Note is releasing 4 new RVGs next week. I already have all these in either their first CD release or Japanes import and will attest that these are very good sessions!

Lou Donaldson - THE NATURAL SOUL
    Jackie McLean - JACKIE'S BAG
    Horace Silver - FINGER POPPIN'
    Freddie Hubbard - HUB CAP

I guess my first choice here would be FINGER POPPIN' as Horace Silver and his band has always been a favorite. (He so funky!) NATURAL SOUL would be my second choice. It's never been released domestically on CD (including the recent Mosaic Donaldson set) so it's a sure bet.

All these releases come with at least 1 bonus track except the Silver CD.

14. MagicAlex

I read a nice review on this one a few days ago in one of the current jazz mags. I'll have to look it up...thanks for the tip!

15. MagicAlex

Mosaic Select Series

For those unaware, Mosaic has introduced a new series of reissue packages to whet our appetites...The Mosaic Select Series. These sets will still be limited and numbered as usual so the collectability is still a desirable thing. 2 to 3 CDs will comprise the new sets with the focus on obscure artists. Original masters will be used for the sets and alt takes will be included where they apply.

The first two sets announced will feature Grachan Moncur III and Carmell Jones. The Moncur set will include both his rare and highly sought after sessions as leader for Blue Note; EVOLUTION and SOME OTHER STUFF.

More at
    Mosaic Records.

16. Irwin Mainway

The Silver CD has bonus tracks too..although the bonus tracks were previously available on the McMaster edition from 1987.

There are 6 RVG's total in the Jan 28th release. You also have:

Donald Byrd - Byrd in Hand

Clifford Jordan & John Gilmore - Blowing In From Chicago

Both also previously available but oop for a while.

I like Jackie's Bag most of the 6....Tina Brooks does some of his best work on that session. The Horace Silver is a fine record too. Filthy McNasty is just funky!

17. Irwin Mainway

18. MagicAlex

Nice interview...thanks! I was unaware of the "blackballing" incident. No telling what this guy could have come up with if he had a longer tenure with BN and the house musicians. The 2 albums he did there were ahead of their time to be sure.

19. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Krall-When I Look in Your Eyes SACD
    Jacintha-Here's to Ben XRCD2
    Clifford Brown and Max Roach Verve Master Edition
    Art Pepper-Gettin Together DCC (thank you steve)
    The Complete HRS Sessions- Mosiac Set (thank you magic)
    Ella Sings Broadway-Verve Master Edition (finallllly available on cd and not sounding that bad either, great version of steam heat and no greater love)

20. Ronflugelguy

I'm Gonna Throw Out two Big band Jazz CDs

First being BE BOP BIG BAND, Carl Saunders on SEABREEZE, is 5 STAR, fabulous playing. Second, YOU CALL THIS A LIVING, Wayne Bergeron Big Band. Wayne is very versitile trumpet player in all jazz styles, a former Lead player for the Maynard Ferguson Band, Wayne has high note chops and TASTE...... Check www.ottermusic.com[url] for either...mbsup: :thumbsup: BTW, sound is good on both.

21. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

Oh, I’ve been listening to a bunch of stuff. Probably the most intriguing title is AP’s 5 by Monk by 5 hybrid. Fantasy’s CD is plagued with distortion on Thad Jones’ cornet. It’s noticeable on the CD hybrid layer too, but the distortion nearly vanishes on the SACD layer. It’s the strangest thing and I can’t quite explain the difference. Anybody else have the same experience?

At the other end of the fidelity spectrum, I’ve also been listening to the pre-RVG Jazz Messengers At the Café Bohemia. It’s been 10 years since I last played these and, boy, did I ever forget how enjoyable these two volumes are. You don’t hear it much in his 60’s recordings, but there was a time when Mobley could rip through the changes as fast as anyone!

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks for the list of upcoming RVG's Magic. I've kinda been in a Hubbard mood lately and have been playing Open Sesame a good bit. That and one of my all-time favorites, Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (somebody told me this is now OOP).

I haven't been thinking as much about jazz as classical lately. I finally landed a somewhat rare Chailly/Tchaikovsky CD on ebay last week, and am awaiting its arrival.

23. MagicAlex

Do you think that they used a different master?

24. Mike V

Mike V New Member

This has been in heavy rotation lately (Straight Life). On LP (Galaxy label). Wonderful all around. My wife even loves it, and she's generally indifferent to much of my jazz collection ('cept Miles).

[​IMG]

25. Ronflugelguy

As the Joker said in the Batman movie: "NOW THAT"S A GOOD ONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.