January Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MagicAlex, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Oh yeah! I need very badly to rip a CD from vinyl so I can take this one with me wherever I roam. Wow!! I was prepared for a good album, but this is GREAT!

2. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

I have no idea if AP used the same master as Fantasy's OJC. The mystery is the vast difference between Thad’s coronet on the CD and SACD layers of the hybrid. Both AP layers must have been generated from the same analog master, no?

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Mike, try Art Pepper "TODAY" also. Great!!!!

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Thx Ron, I'll do that! I've been holding out for LP copies of Mr. Pepper's later years, and it's been worth the wait. A shop near me knows how dear these LPs are, and prices them around $6 to $8 each (pricey for this store), but worth every penny IMO. "Landscape" is great too - I haven't listened in a while, might be a good time to revisit :cool:

5. Ronflugelguy

Thanks, I haven't heard Landscape. Have you heard The Trip?

6. Mike V

Mike V New Member

No, I haven't. I'll file it in the noggin for my trip to the used shop tonight. Interesting title though. Seems like he really liked drug references for his album titles?

7. Ronflugelguy

Unfortunately, he was one of the ultimate druggies.:(

8. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Jazz Menu For January 24th, 2003

Joshua Redman Live at the Village Vanguard
    Sonny Rollins- The Sound of Sonny
    Oscar Peterson Trio -West Side Story
    Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley with the Marty Paich Orchestra
    and Art Pepper on Alto Sax

9. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I think that was a glass bottle. I remember reading an interview with Bill Laswell when he did that disc of Miles remixes (Panthalassa?) and he talked about it. I can't remember exactly what he said.

Maybe along with "Long Long Long", this could start a list of tunes with strange bottle sounds.:)

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

Redman is a guy who got such an overwhelming "young lions" review at the start of his career that IMO I think that it hurt him a bit on his later releases. LATVV is a great set to be sure. My particular favorite is MOOD SWING. Not to say anything bad about him, he's a great player, but I don't think he's ever matched the "mood" he captured on that effort. I really like his S/T 1993 debut session as well...cool version of "Salt Peanuts"!

What label is SOUND OF SONNY on? I have pretty much all of his material in one form or another. Must be on one of the box sets, I'm sure. I'll have to pull that one out. One can never get enough Sonny.

11. MagicAlex

Or Lionel Hampton plays Bird on the water bottles...:D

12. Ronflugelguy

Riverside RLP 12-231 DCC-GZS-1092 MONO, the word SONNY ROLLIN are in big letters. PM me.

13. MagicAlex

OPEN SESAME is a beautiful album. It was one of the first BN's that I ever purchased and helped to turn me on to the whole BN universe of artists. My favorite Hubbard album is probably BLUE SPIRITS with SESAME running a very close second. How do you like the later CTI material?

And you mention DUKE MEETS COLEMAN...that's a desert island disc for me. Ray Nance plays some really beautiful stuff on this one and to have Hawk & Hodges together here is also a real treat.

14. MagicAlex

Dig that scarf! Cool! :cool:

15. MagicAlex

Thanks for the info on the other 2 discs. 2 great titles I might add!

When is Blue Note gonna come clean with those SACDs that they've been promising?

16. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

yeah no kidding, write them a letter so we can sign it...ha....:)

17. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Lucky you/us - it on DCC!! This one is easy to get and relatively cheap (as a cut-out) try www.musicforasong.com or half.com

18. MagicAlex

Thanks for the info!

Gosh...just pulled it...I forgot Sonny Clark played this one! Now I'm sure I'll have to dig up a DCC!

19. MagicAlex

Speaking of Sonny Clark (see last post) has anyone heard Audio Fidelity's THE SONNY CLARK TRIO with Steve's mastering yet. I believe I'm going to order this one right now....

[​IMG]

20. Ronflugelguy

No, but has anyone heard the Cal Tajder or the Buddy Rich Audio Fidelitys?

21. MagicAlex

I've have the Buddy Rich title. I am not a big Rich fan but I must say this session's a keeper. And guess what? The sound is amazing. Imagine that.

22. Ronflugelguy

Originally, it was a Direct to Disc on Century Records, incredible presence!

23. J. Warren

J. Warren Senior Member

I just bought a dozen jazz titles at the Tower 25% off sale, mostly RVG's and Connoisseur CD's. Most of these were titles I kept putting off buying. I have a lot of listening to do! BTW, I'm looking forward to the Sonny Clark Trio from Audio Fidelity as well.

24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Tomatbluenote is saying first part of April for the first 5 titles (forget what all of them are, but for sure a Blue Train and a Norah Jones among them).

25. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Thanks for the info....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.