Japanese ABBA The Album Discomate CD sells for outrageous amount

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by filip_kbh, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I've lost count the amount of times I've bought this album... Never had this copy, however...

3. houston

houston Forum Resident

why all the fuss about this version?

4. filip_kbh

Because it's on the Discomate label. ABBA were released on the Discomate label in Japan but CD versions are scarce - at least to my knowledge.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Read the original posting again: This is the DiscoMate album: Australian disco mixes of the entire album. Hard to find.

DirkGentlyUK, dartira and D.B. like this.
  7. filip_kbh

This is not true. This is a Japanese release. It contains no different mixes, however, the mastering may be unique.

8. houston

houston Forum Resident

I did read, it, I just didn't know why people cared... I saw the discomate part, and it meant nothing...

now it sort of does :)

apparently it meant a lot to somebody with money to burn

9. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

The japanese Discomate includes also the distorted TNOTG version. I have a lossless copy...

atoxique likes this.
  10. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Excuse me, I don't know the story about The Name of the Game recordings. Why's the reason ABBA/Polar/Universal choose a distorted version of this song, when there is a undistorted version?

11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Best 711 USD I ever spent.

12. filip_kbh

It's a faulty LP cutter tape that has been used all these years. Actually all of the songs on side A suffer from distortion but it is worst on TNOTG. It's on every version of The Album released on vinyl and CD, except for the 1997 and 2001 remasters which used the mixdown tape which is one generation higher. The undistorted version is also available on the UK CBS 7" single as well as the UK box set from Reader's Digest on vinyl. There is a dedicated thread about it also.

13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I've finally completed my collection of original 1984 and 1997 CDs of all the studio albums - The 1997 versions are generally good - although the 1984 versions of Ring Ring and Waterloo trump their 1997 equivalents, and especially - with the 1997 version of 'The Album' you can tell it's a higher generation tape but the EQ is all wrong - it's all mid-range and little else. The 1984 version of the album sounds much more 'balanced' but is also a little thin sounding - therefore I've done a subtle 'smiley face' EQ job on the 1997 version of the Album and it sounds great. It does baffle me though how they managed to get it so wrong - the 2001 version is even worse although that's down to it being brickwalled, but it has the same EQ issues as the 1997 version. Apologies if this is off topic.

14. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Comedy gold - it slipped by almost undetected, but not any more!

ispace likes this.
  15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I know that I have three Abba Discomate CD's, but I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm missing. I may try to sell the ones I have.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Just checked. I have CDP-101 (The Visitors), CDP-102 (Super Trouper) and CDP-103 (Greatest Hits Vol. 2). I think CDP-104 is Voulez Vous, which I have seen, but don't own. I actually can't remember seeing The Visitors. Perhaps it's rarer than the others?

Anyway, if anyone would like to send me a check for $700, I would be happy to send you your choice of any of the above CD's. Make the check out to "The Dr. Bryant Wants to Buy Tickets to see the World Series at Chavez Ravine Fund". Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

$700 for one? Nah - You can watch it on TV. ;)

(Nice collection!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.