Japanese film recommendations please

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todber, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Of the four criteria you've listed (for the three films watched), the only thing that stood out a little for me was in some of the larger fights they were a little sloppy with their blade work. I didn't dwell on it because the pacing & plot moved me along. Let us know your thoughts when you get a chance.

Since you pre-ordered the Scorpion box, I'll tell you I noticed Masako Ohta in Ganster VIP 2.

I too am looking forward to replacing my Scorpion DVDs as well!

2. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Greetings Yasujiro. It's been awhile, hope all is well with you and yours. The Blu-ray elevates that beauty to another level.

yasujiro likes this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I was browsing eBay earlier today and ran across something I hadn't thought of in a very long time: the massive, 16-disc laserdisc box set released in Japan in the early 1990s covering Ozu's postwar films for Shochiku. Two similar box sets were also released covering his prewar filmography, and there were also three roughly corresponding sets devoted to Mizoguchi. There were no subtitles on any of these, but back in the day they were by far the best (and in many cases only) way to see these films on home video. Here in the US, these sets were very hard to come by, and eye-wateringly expensive if you happened to be lucky enough to obtain one or more of them. I certainly spent more than a little time wishing I had them, but it was never to be.

Fast forward to the present, and the lion's share of the films in this set as well as the other sets is now readily available in superior quality with multilingual subtitles (and many other special features) on DVD and Blu-ray. We truly live in the golden age of home video.

[​IMG]

More details including a listing of the contents: Ozu Post-War Shochiku Collection NEW SEALED Laserdisc Box Set 12 Films Free Ship »

LA2019 likes this.
  4. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Toshiro Matsumoto's Funeral Parade of Roses

[​IMG]

5. proudy

proudy Well-Known Member

Apologies if anyone's mentioned any of these

Pastoral: to Die in the Country
    Oversaturated dreamlike and slightly pretentious arthouse

Branded to Kill
    Noir + spy vs. spy farce + absurd nihilistic black comedy. Misanthropic. Has a nice criterion release

Gozu
    It's, ehh, uhhh... eurr.. just watch it

Macross: Do You Remember Love
    If you've got a passing interest in animation or sci-fi, you should see this. A bit hokey (the plot involves saving the universe with the power of pop music) but that beautifully rough 80s hand-drawn animation is something else.

Shinjuku Triad Society, Ley Lines & Rainy Dog
    Whether you love or hate Miike, give these a shot, they're much different from his stuff that's gotten exposure in the west. Pitch black low budget guerilla style crime drama with a warm (but not sentimental) human drama element. Very brutal and honest.

The Street Fighter
    The ultimate martial arts exploitation grindhouse movie

Dirty Pair: Project Eden
    More oldschool animu. Think a surreal Japanese space-age pop art spin on James Bond. I'll let the intro sell it.

6. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Yasujiro Ozu's Late Spring [4K]

[​IMG]

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Some recent good news on this front - FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES is currently being restored, with a theatrical run in North America and an eventual Blu-ray release planned for next year:

Funeral Parade of Roses Blu-ray »

Roninblues likes this.
  8. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Kaneto Shindo's The Naked Island

[​IMG]

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys 2 has been released by Arrow Video.
    Region A, Blu-ray & DVD for the each of the three films:
    Danger Pays
    Murder Unincorporated
    Tokyo Mighty Guy

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. Fans of Elvis Presley's movie career would probably enjoy Tokyo Mighty Guy in Volume 2. This batch is much lighter comedic fare than the straight gangster tales found in Volume 1.

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol. 2 Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com »

[​IMG]

For those into more risqué material, there is the recently restored Belladonna of Sadness. It's an animated film from the Seventies aimed squarely at adults. Interesting stuff for animation historians or those looking for arthouse animation with an erotic bent.

Belladonna of Sadness Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com »

Halfwit likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Generally not a fan of Japanese films, but I found this film very charming.

I Was Born, But... 1932 black-and-white Japanese silent film directed byYasujiro Ozu.

12. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I watched Sion Sono's Love & Peace the other week. It's now one of my favourites of his. If you have trouble imagining Sono making a family film, based on his past efforts, then worry not, as this is one of the best, most unpredictable and heartwarming 120 minutes you could wish for. It's also my new favourite Christmas film.

[​IMG]

13. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Why not Woman In The Dunes? Also, the entire Mizoguchi filmography. I mean it.

14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I'd like to second this. Superb film.

Halfwit likes this.
  15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Finally got around to finishing the Outlaw Gangster VIP series last weekend. Enjoyed all six films, although the last couple felt a little formulaic compared with the earlier entries. Overall, a very solid series, with good replay value.

My favourite was probably VIP 2. I liked the way they intercut the big fight in the sewer with slow motion footage of the volleyball match; very Peckinpah-esque.

What do you think of Arrow's Female Prisoner Scorpion set? I know the colour palette is a deal breaker for some, but I don't have a huge problem with it. Again, thoroughly enjoyed the films.

16. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

[QUOTE="What do you think of Arrow's Female Prisoner Scorpion set? I know the colour palette is a deal breaker for some, but I don't have a huge problem with it. Again, thoroughly enjoyed the films.[/QUOTE]

I just received it and have yet to view any. They do take up less room than the DVDs.

17. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

18. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Yeah, I know about Woman In The Dunes. Also, would kill for the Mizoguchi UK boxsets but the prices are out of this world, especially regarding the "Late Mizoguchi" one. Actually, it's OOP now. I believe the only way would be buying the criterion titles (Sansho, Oharu, Chrysantemum) and keep waiting for Ugetsu, Chikamatsu and a few others. I don't believe we'll get much more until MOC decides to re-release the boxset for a reasonable price (or the standalone versions). Mizoguchi and Dreyer are my two favorite directors. I believe that, in Dreyer's case, we'll only get Vampyr (really don't know why it wasn't released on blu yet) and, maybe, Michael but you have the BFI boxset, the MOC Joan Of Arc (I actually own the beautiful steelbook with the slipcase) and Master Of The House thru Criterion. With Mizoguchi, I don't have much faith, especially about his early works. Another one that was forgotten in the blu-ray world is Naruse.

19. stepeanut

The Artificial Eye Mizoguchi BD box set is still available on Amazon UK. And, recently, it could be found in Fopp stores for as little as £15.

I wouldn't hold my breath for MoC to re-release any of their past Mizoguchi titles. They weren't strong sellers to begin with, and their licence has long since expired.

I'd love to see Naruse on BD. Luckily, I own both the MoC and BFI DVD box sets. Again, poor sellers in their day. It seems Naruse had his chance and, in modern parlance, blew it.

20. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

It's kinda sad, especially because of all the love that Mizoguchi and Naruse have among filmmakers and critics. Maybe Ugetsu and Sansho have a chance in the UK but I believe Ugetsu will get its Criterion blu-ray sooner or later.

21. stepeanut

Ugetsu is currently doing the rounds in a new restoration, so it's a fair guess that Criterion will upgrade their edition to BD in the near future. And, of course, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum is on its way, so there is still hope for Mizoguchi in the marketplace.

I have Late Mizoguchi, so, rather selfishly, I'm not desperate to see those titles re-released in Britain.

22. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

I envy you so much haha Man, that book alone would drive me crazy!

stepeanut likes this.
  23. stepeanut

It's a lovely set; I cherish it.

Mizo is one of my favourite directors. I've spent time tracking down as many of his films as I can find with English subtitles, be they BD or DVD, R1, R2, or R4. I wish I could speak Japanese, as that would open up more opportunities, but I have to content myself with the titles available to me.

Same deal with Naruse. Let's hope the wheel of fortune turns in their direction once again, and further titles will be released in the West.

Matheusms likes this.
  24. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I'll bite on any 4K Blu-ray singles.

stepeanut likes this.
  25. stepeanut

Me, too. Anything that's an upgrade, I'll buy.