Japanese film recommendations please

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todber, Oct 20, 2008.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut Make sure that candy's in the original wrapper

Picked up the new U.K. Collector's Edition of Belladonna of Sadness:

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

The Wicked Priest & The Wicked Priest 2: Ballad of Murder

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not Ozu but more Wakayama Tomisaburo fun.

3. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Part pseudo documentary, part superhero action flick with an ending that comes out of nowhere and makes no sense. I love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  4. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I'd also recommend this. One of my favorite animated films of all time, Japanese or otherwise.

stepeanut likes this.
  5. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

For anyone in the US who's been on the fence about Belladonna of Sadness, the Blu-ray is currently available at Amazon at a significant price drop over what it has been selling for previously - just over $15.

6. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

If you're open to Asian movies in general (not just Japanese), almost anything from Zhang Yimou is fantastic. Joon-Ho Bong is good too

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  7. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Out the door @ $15.06

Belladonna of Sadness Blu-ray

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Noruwei No Mori (Norwegian Wood) is a good film I think. Watched that one last Winter on TV and have it on DVD since a few months.

[​IMG]

LA2019 likes this.
  9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there's a been a home release of The Yellow Handkerchief (幸福の黄色いハンカチ, 1977) that includes English subtitles?

I watched this on TV and it was in HD and had subtitles, but none of the DVD or Blu-ray listings seem to include them. Features like that aren't always reliably reported online though, so perhaps someone knows firsthand.

10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I saw that you admired The Only Son in an earlier thread. You wouldn't go wrong buying the Criterion Collection double feature dvd of Ozu's Story of Floating Weeds/Floating Weeds (1934, 1959). The '59 version is essentially the same story updated and expanded a bit (including the addition of color) and Machiko Kiyo as the lead actress/mistress of the leader of the travelling players. She's one of my favorite Japanese actresses of that day. And still kicking last I checked.

11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

the original Harikiri. amazing film.

12. stepeanut

According to Wikipedia, she's still alive, aged 93. One of the great Japanese actresses of the 1950s. She worked several times for Kenji Mizoguchi, including her famous role as Lady Wakasa in Ugetsu.

13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Indeed. She also starred in Akira Kurosawa's international breakout, Rashomon (1950). I like her best in Floating Weeds - reminds me of my old landlady. :)

stepeanut likes this.
  14. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

This was quite fun...Lady Snowblood:

[​IMG]

15. Recently watched, The Hidden Sword and enjoyed it quite a bit. Didnt care for the comedic elements, but it's one helluva story.

16. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy <- Enjoyed that set and looking forward to The Early Years Vol.1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Earlier this week at the 74th Venice International Film Festival, Dave Kehr (whose taste and judgment I generally find myself very much in accord with) tweeted "there is a magnificent restoration of mizoguchi's "sansho the bailiff" in Venice, which is manifestly unfair to other films."

There's not a lot of info on the festival website, but there is some language crediting the restoration:

Kenji Mizoguchi - Sanshō dayū (Sansho the Bailiff)

Intriguingly, Chikamatsu Monogatari was also screened at the festival a day earlier, and has similar language referencing a restoration in its listing:

Kenji Mizoguchi - Chikamatsu Monogatari (A Story from Chikamatsu)

Despite already owning Sansho in multiple formats (the Criterion laserdisc, the Criterion DVD, the MoC DVD, and the MoC Blu-ray), I recently broke down and purchased the Criterion Blu-ray as well. I'm wondering if this news from Venice is an early herald of still another upgrade yet to come.

18. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I would like to view an upgrade as well.

I only have two versions currently. :)

19. stepeanut

I have this film on pre-order as part of Arrow's forthcoming Kore-eda box set, Family Values:

Family Values: Three Films by Hirokazu Kore-eda

We just watched his film Our Little Sister, which is not included in Arrow's box set, the other day. A little saccharine, and lacking in dramatic tension, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

20. There is a great making-of documentary on the After the Storm Blu-ray from Film Movement. I'm guessing it will also show up on the Arrow set.

stepeanut likes this.
  21. stepeanut

Looks like it will be:

• Feature-length documentary on making of After the Storm

22. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Finished both sets and enjoyed them both. I hope Arrow does some more Blu-rays with Kinji. I have several of his DVDs and would upgrade some more of the Yakuza tales.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

23. stepeanut

Picked up Arrow’s recent dual-format edition of Wolf Guy for £6. Completely bonkers horror-action-supernatural mashup, with a funky ’70s soundtrack. Great fun!

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger and Roninblues like this.
  24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Answering my own question here in case anyone else is interested.

This blu-ray is being released on Twilight Time with English subtitles. Their website is a little confusing as it says, "Available for pre-order. Release date is tentatively November 14th". There is a review on dvdtalk.com though, so if it's not available now, it should be soon.